help me build a box for my stereophonic bass experiment (mergded)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Steve Rabbit, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Steve Rabbit

Steve Rabbit Agent

I have two shivas I want to experiment with creating a stereophonic bass environment, purely for music. I am used to car audio environments, loading surfaces, bass too non-directional to care too much. I want to play around with two separate enclosures on either side of the paior of bose towers im using, playing music in stereo.

In the past, HT's ive worked on or played with have all involved a downfiring corner loaded uber large ported box. I cant imagine this system would work in this case, trying to get as much directionality as I can from these shiva. furthermore, I dont care too much about extending LFE, since the goal is music.

any ideas for box construction, whats worked for members here regarding shiva, box volumes, firing directions, loading distances, sealed, ported, etc, to achieve the desired goal?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You should rephrase this and repost it in the DIY area for specific recommendations as it seems you want to build subs. Very nice and helpful people there. Since when did low frequency become stereophonic?

3. Steve Rabbit

Steve Rabbit Agent

thanks for the input

stereophonic bass lost popularity when 4.2 sound wasnt used as a recording channelset (im not sure what youd call 5.1 versus 4.1 versus 2.1) compared to 5.1. but the idea of stereophonic bass has always stuck with me since ive learned fo the existance of 4.2, I fugured id jsut utlize 2.1 or 2.0 style recording to include bass in the towers themselves to simulate 4.2 (without rear fill)

thanks!

4. Steve Rabbit

Steve Rabbit Agent

I have two shivas I want to experiment with creating a stereophonic bass environment, purely for music. I am used to car audio environments, loading surfaces, bass too non-directional to care too much. I want to play around with two separate enclosures on either side of the pair of bose towers im using, playing music in stereo.

In the past, HT's ive worked on or played with have all involved a downfiring corner loaded uber large ported box. I cant imagine this system would work in this case, trying to get as much directionality as I can from these shiva. furthermore, I dont care too much about extending LFE, since the goal is music.

any ideas for box construction, whats worked for members here regarding shiva, box volumes, firing directions, loading distances, sealed, ported, etc, to achieve the desired goal?

in the end, all IO am doing here is building a pair of boxes to accompany a pair of towers

5. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I would say put each of them in mid Q sealed enclosures and place one of them beside or preferably underneth each of your mains. then xover up around 140hz.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your request is not Basics area-type material. That area is for general discussion at beginner level only. Hence, the thread's new location.

Please read the forum descriptions and note, on the main thread-listing page of the Basics area, the disclaimer in red typeface.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've merged Steve's 2 threads (which is why his post shows up twice. Let's try not to cross-post in the future.

8. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

Steve, just wait a while, Tom Holman, father of THX, just created a NEW surround format that encodes stereo subs. ITS 10.2!!!!!!!!!!

or you can sell your bose towers and just get new floorstanders that go down to 30 hz
    then use a single large sube that will shake your floor.