What's new

help me build a box for my stereophonic bass experiment (mergded) (1 Viewer)

Steve Rabbit

Agent
I have two shivas I want to experiment with creating a stereophonic bass environment, purely for music. I am used to car audio environments, loading surfaces, bass too non-directional to care too much. I want to play around with two separate enclosures on either side of the paior of bose towers im using, playing music in stereo.

In the past, HT's ive worked on or played with have all involved a downfiring corner loaded uber large ported box. I cant imagine this system would work in this case, trying to get as much directionality as I can from these shiva. furthermore, I dont care too much about extending LFE, since the goal is music.

any ideas for box construction, whats worked for members here regarding shiva, box volumes, firing directions, loading distances, sealed, ported, etc, to achieve the desired goal?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You should rephrase this and repost it in the DIY area for specific recommendations as it seems you want to build subs. Very nice and helpful people there. Since when did low frequency become stereophonic?

Steve Rabbit

Agent
thanks for the input

stereophonic bass lost popularity when 4.2 sound wasnt used as a recording channelset (im not sure what youd call 5.1 versus 4.1 versus 2.1) compared to 5.1. but the idea of stereophonic bass has always stuck with me since ive learned fo the existance of 4.2, I fugured id jsut utlize 2.1 or 2.0 style recording to include bass in the towers themselves to simulate 4.2 (without rear fill)

thanks!

Steve Rabbit

Agent
I have two shivas I want to experiment with creating a stereophonic bass environment, purely for music. I am used to car audio environments, loading surfaces, bass too non-directional to care too much. I want to play around with two separate enclosures on either side of the pair of bose towers im using, playing music in stereo.

In the past, HT's ive worked on or played with have all involved a downfiring corner loaded uber large ported box. I cant imagine this system would work in this case, trying to get as much directionality as I can from these shiva. furthermore, I dont care too much about extending LFE, since the goal is music.

any ideas for box construction, whats worked for members here regarding shiva, box volumes, firing directions, loading distances, sealed, ported, etc, to achieve the desired goal?

in the end, all IO am doing here is building a pair of boxes to accompany a pair of towers

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Not sure what that means. If you want to localize them, you can cross them over really high...

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I would say put each of them in mid Q sealed enclosures and place one of them beside or preferably underneth each of your mains. then xover up around 140hz.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Your request is not Basics area-type material. That area is for general discussion at beginner level only. Hence, the thread's new location.

Please read the forum descriptions and note, on the main thread-listing page of the Basics area, the disclaimer in red typeface.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've merged Steve's 2 threads (which is why his post shows up twice. Let's try not to cross-post in the future.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, just wait a while, Tom Holman, father of THX, just created a NEW surround format that encodes stereo subs. ITS 10.2!!!!!!!!!!

or you can sell your bose towers and just get new floorstanders that go down to 30 hz
then use a single large sube that will shake your floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks