What's new

HELP I can't get the grill off my svs!!! (1 Viewer)

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
I know I must be doing something wrong help!
Does just the mesh part come off or does the whole outside ring with the mesh come off! I have the 25-31PC+ and I want to put one port blocker in and the manual doesn't show how to do it!!!!!I am afraid to force it!!!

ScottCarr

Second Unit
very gently take a medium size (3/16) flat head screw driver and place it between the fabric and grill and gently pry up. you will need to do this on a few area of the grill. Once the seal is broken you will be able to get it off.

Scott

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
ok I will try it again thanks! I just wanted to be sure it between the fame of the grill and the fabric !

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you grab the metal ring (and not pull on the fabric) you should be ok trying to force it. It's on there a little tight, but I didn't need a screwdriver to get it off.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
You could try looping something into the grill (coat hanger?) and pulling. But that carries some obvious risks. Didn't you say you bought the thing used? Ask the previous owner if he ever took it off.

Do some push-ups, slam a beer, and pull the ring towards you like you're giving it a bear hug.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Scott's idea should work for you. You can also use a good silverware knife. Once you have removed it a few times it should come off easyer. Give SVS a holler if it still fails to come off. Some of them can can be very tight at first though. Good Luck!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
A screwdriver between the bottom of the ring and the fabric (twist it sideways) should do the trick. You may need to go around it one small section at a time.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Robb - Nice picture and help... Chris purchased his SVS from me... his first killer sub...and he is a great guy ! (his wife is nice, too...)

By the way... Are you following the subwoofer shootout on the HSU forum ? I am having a BLAST !

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Scott, being the clever guy I am, I pre-ordered both the PB-2 Ultra and the VTF-3 Mark 2's....Can't these guys use shorter names ?

Anyway... None of the subs have even shipped yet, so it will be a while... remember pre-order...:)

Stir the pot ? What ever do you mean ? ...:D

The HSU forum guys are now ok with the fact that I am not an SVS spy...lol

Oh... the methodology was posted there (on the HSU forum) ... Would anyone care to see it here ?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

I had some trouble getting mine off but if you work at it using the technique pictured in the post by Rob it will come off.

Parker

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,
Here is an update. I did manage to get it off after about an hour of messing with it! I called Eric at svs and he said that if I messed it up trying to get it off he would sell me one at cost. I thought that was cool. I am kind of picky so I may go ahead and buy a new one anyway so that when and if I ever sell it (only to buy another bigger one) the buyer would have a brand new grill.
Craig thanks for selling me the sub I love it! Also thanks for the kind words! Craig and his wife are great people!

Thanks for all the help.
ps robb nice picture.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Chris - It is a bad sign when a guy starts talking about getting a bigger sub 72 hours after upgrading...:)

Can you tell any difference with the extra port blocked ?

NOW... FOR THE METHODOLODY OF THE SUB SHOOTOUT ....

1. The first portion will be double blind listening only. The subs will be positioned fo the best possible sound... (ought to be fun with the 190 pound Ultra..).

2. Then they will be calibrated using the AVIA Disc and my RTA...

3. Each night, my son will plug one (sub) set or the other in, and mark in a log book which was which. For example, if the Hsu's are "A", and the SVS are "B" .... each night he will post the letter in the log, and no, I will not be looking at the letter from each night, nor will I know which is which.

4. For listening, we will be using a combo of movies and music, and taking notes each night.

5. Once everything is done, say after 2 weeks of initial listening, we will post what the differences are between A and B .... still not naming the sub, as this should complete the break in time. Then we will do two more weeks... and will reveal (to ourselves and you) which was which...and any real preferences.

6. After that, we will take requests for measurements... etc... the objective portion...

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,
I'm real happy with this one, but as we all know some day the upgrade bug will strike again! As of now I plan to keep this one for a long time, but one never knows what the future will bring:-}
yes I did notice a difference in 20Hz mode when watching the matrix reloaded. there was a bunch of scenes that had low bass!! I switched it back to 25Hz for now until i get more time to mess with it. It seams like I have the head room to keep it in 20Hz mode but I am looking for some movies with strong content at 20Hz so I can play around more with my settings.

ps I am looking forward to the results of your shoot out!!

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Chris... If you don't have enough juice, I will be amazed !

Keep it in the 20 HZ... I can tell you both the Ultra and the Hsu's will both be in the 16 and 18 HZ modes...

The only reason we left ours where it was .... the size of the room...

enjoy !

ps... my wife already said you get first dibs on the Ultra when I decide twin b4-pluses are needed

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,
Talking upgrades already LOL.Tell your wife thanks sounds like a plan to me! 18 and 16Hz modes how does that feel?
Man that sounds like fun. keep us posted:-}

I talked the Tom at SVS and he is sending me a new grill and a t-shirt for my trouble. I can not believe the customer service of SVS they are the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks