What's new

Help figuring out my prewiring (1 Viewer)

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Hello all,
I just moved into a new house that is prewired for surround sound in the living room and am trying to make sense of it. I have no background, so forgive my ignorance. It is prewired with 4 plates, FR, FL, RR, RL. Additionally there is an extra plate on the floor adjacent to the TV with a coax cable that is different from the cables coax. Under each plate is a 4 wire speaker wire (red, black, white, green). At the head behind the TV I can only find two 4 wire cables. Not sure what is going on and any help would be appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Take some pictures...
What you are describing makes no sense, unless the "other end"(where the speakers go) is wired the same way.

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
There are four of these in the ceiling for 4 speakers.
Here is behind the TV. One coax, one phone line for ATT uverse, and I can only find two of the purple speaker cables.

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Nope, no place where I can find the cables coming out other than directly behind the TV and only those two 4 wire cables.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah that looks like it is designed for 2nd zone use.
Are the "ceiling spots" that are wired...wired correctly for surround sound? (as in where they are...)

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
It looks like it..the two in the front are equally spaced on either side of the tv and the two rear are the same width as the front and just behind the couch. The 4 boxes in the ceiling make a square around the couch, if that makes sense.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You need longer range pictures....So we can see where they are.
To me, "around the couch" means set up for 7.1. But you are suggesting "by the TV" as well. Unless this is a small room...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The other thing you need to determine, cause you can never count out how "idiotic an install has been done"...
Those two purple leads...behind the TV. It is "possible" that any of these scenarios is how it was done...
1. Those wires are split and all 4 spots are "hot" and all the wires have been ran series or parallel. Maybe the prior owner had biampable speakers.
2. Those wires are split where the front holes have "tow pairs hot", the other two are dead. The back pairs...what was "hot" is now dead...and vice versa.
3. It isn't wired to be 5.1. Simply stereo and there is a speaker selector somewhere.
1 is a possibility.
If 2 is accurate, the installer needs shot in the head.
3 makes the most sense.

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Hard to take a pic of everything on my iPhone. This is from the left rear corner of the room. So there is a cable run to the front and back of the couch on both the left and right.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I actually meant from where the TV is(rather will be) and caption each as...
close left.
far left.
close right.
far right.
So the pic you already took, is that closest, or furthest from the TV location? Cause if that is "closest", you might as well ignore it...unless it is for 7.1.

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
I don't think 2 is the case, when I open up the front box it looks like the rear lead is running through the box under the lead for that box. Makes no sense to me how this could be wired.

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
the pic is farthest from the tv. The box with the wire hanging out in the pic is Rear left if you were sitting on the couch looking at the tv

sadds

Auditioning
Real Name
john
I figured it out, I didn't take the time to take the extra 10 feet of line shoved up in the wall. The front 2 are not wired it is just the rear passing through with a lot of extra bundled up in the front box for some reason. Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks