Connecting system to prewired cables?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Darren Thomas, May 25, 2004.

1. Darren Thomas

Darren Thomas Auditioning

Hi,

My wife bought me a Sony HT-DDW660 Home Theater System. I know it is a joke to you audio experts, but I hope you can help me figure out how to hook it up.

My family room has been prewired for home theater speakers. I don't know what guage the speaker wires are. Can I connect the speaker wires that came with my home theater system to the speaker wires that have been prewired in the wall, even if they are different guages?

My system is only 420 watts. How do I connect the wires? What kind of crimp connector should I use? Can I get it at Radio Shack?

Also, how can I tell what polarity the wires are that have been prewired?

Thank you for any replies.

Darren Thomas

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Darren. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

One wire of each pair is usually a different color or has labels/writing on the insulation. We typically attach this wire to the "Red" or "Hot" speaker output.

It really does not matter which wire becomes the "Red/+" wire as long as you follow the same convention for all your speakers.

Just strip off a bit of insulation, twist the wires together and wrap some electrical tape to start. Later, get some of the crimp-connectors sold at the hardware store for that gauge wire and use pliers.

Note: Many times the inexpensive HTIB (Home Theaters in a Box) deliver a great movie experience. Just go to our Primer & FAQ to start learning how to set things up and then post any specific questions you have here.

Enjoy your stay.

3. Darren Thomas

Darren Thomas Auditioning

Bob,

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I will do what you said. Thanks again.

Darren