Help - DVD's w/ pc-compatible playback

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jun 25, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I recently moved into a new condo and have been doing a lot of work getting the home theatre in place and setup. I've been living here for 2 full weeks now without any television or media connections apart from my computer and am going out of my mind!

It's Saturday night and I should probably be out, but I've gotta be up at 7am tomorrow because I have workers coming to install teak wood panels on my balcony.

Anyways, I haven't watched a movie in almost 2 weeks and I miss my DVD's!!

I should have my projector installed mid next week (it was backordered from the company because apparently they weren't expecting such a large demand and didn't have enough production units) - but I can't wait any longer!

I want to watch a DVD!!!

Please help me out here - Can you guys try to list all the R1 DVD's that you're aware of that have pc-compatible playback so that I could watch a movie tonight?

It's not ideal, but I've got a 19" monitor with pretty decent Bose satelite speakers hooked up in my office which should suffice.

I know that there have been releases for example, like the Ultimate Edition T2, which offered a bonus file sporting high-def transfer in some format to run through your computer in WMP or something...

Anyways, if you guys could compile a quick list or just name drop as many DVD's as you know that would play on my pc, than I could see which ones I own and kick back on my sofa and watch a movie instead of hitting refresh in my browser window for the Film & Documentary Forum all night..

:}

PS - I obviously don't have a DVD Player on the computer or else I wouldn't be posting this thread.

Thanks!

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    Every DVD is "PC compatible," if you're got a DVD-ROM drive. If you don't have a DVD drive, how do you expect to do anything with a DVD and your computer? For example, you can't play that hi-def T2 disc without a DVD-ROM drive on your computer...

DJ

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Without having a DVD drive in your computer, you're not gonna be able to watch any of them.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I have a CD-ROM drive.

And it's not uncommon for DVD's to sometimes offer exclusive features such as interviews or trailers and whatnot through pc.

I assume people with CD-ROM drives can view this material, no?

5. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

You assume wrong. Unless you've got a DVD that actually came with a special CD-ROM, you're out of luck. CD-ROM drives can't read any material whatsoever off of a DVD. The DVD material you speak of that can be viewed on a PC require a DVD-ROM drive.

DJ

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

So T2 Ultimate Edition is only compatible on computers with a DVD drive?

If that's the case, why won't that high-def transfer tahts encoded on whatever format on the disc as a bonu, play on regular DVD players?

[​IMG]

And what if I download a DVD decoder, is there any chance than that I'll be able to watch my discs through WMP or BsPlayer or something?

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

Unless you have a magical way of getting data from a DVD to your PC, you can't watch anything contained a DVD on your PC. You need a DVD-ROM drive. No amount of software will help. You need the hardware.

DJ

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

That really sucks, guess it's back to hitting refresh in my browser window than.

Thanks for the help.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer