What's new

help buying new TV... (1 Viewer)

eiker_ir

Auditioning
hey, i'm looking for a new TV for my bedroom, i'm replacing an old 20" Samsumg, and since i don't have that much space, i'm thinking of getting a 24" Toshiba i've been reading about.

It's the Toshiba FST Pure Flat MTS 24AF43, and it's about $330 at Best Buy. i'd post a link, but the forum doesn't let me.

i got a question, does it have the 16:9 "squeeze" trick to play WS DVDs?

i'm not sure if it has it. And if anyone has a recomendation for a similar TV, they're welcome.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Yes the 43 will also do it. Not sure about this year? but last year (The 43)Toshiba 24" was the ONLY 24" set on the market that could do it. I would also fight with them over that price because the 43 is a discontinued model replaced by the 44. I would try & push them down to around $250.00 Last year in my area a store had the 27" "43" for $279.99 & the 27" JVC AV-27FA44 for $277.00 & the 27" Sony FS100 for $299 so over $300 for the 24" seems a bit much to me for a discontinued model. For what I could tell looking at the Toshiba 43 & 44 specs. there is no difference between them except the model numbers.

eiker_ir

Auditioning
about the price, i checked other stores and the cheapest i found it was like 280, but with shipphing it goes to 330$.

And Best Buy has it for 330$ with free shipping so maybe the price is more accurate that way.

EDIT: i see they have the Toshiba 44 model at Amazon for 300$ with free shipping, so do you guys recommend getting the 44 over the 43?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Buyer beware, don't buy a set with these annoyances:

Only one composite jack, one S-video jack, and one video input selection on the remote -- you can connect only one thing at a time.

Takes a long time to switch channels when you push the buttons on the remote.

Locks in 16:9 mode when used with progressive scan DVD player. Yes you want 16:9 mode but you need it to be under your control.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Don't know anything about them but www.macmall.com has the Toshiba 24AF44 for $259.99 with free shipping but right now they are out of stock on them. If you check their website they have an 800 number so you could give them a call & find out when they will be getting more in. Also if you can get to any stores in your area that carry the Toshiba (Sears) I would print out Mac Mall's Price & bring it in with you because you might be able to get them to match the price or at least come down on their price. As for the above, the Toshiba has enough inputs, Component, S-Video & Composite plus Audio/Video Output Jacks & you don't find the Video Output Jack on too many TV's so your covered on jacks & the Channels Change Quickly & you have control over the 16:9 DVD Mode with a push of a button on the Remote Control (On/OFF) & as for the Component Jacks locking that only pretains to HDTV's. Happy Hunting ;)

eiker_ir

Auditioning
ok thanks for the help

just one more thing, should i get the 44 just because it's more recent? they seem to be pretty much the same except for the name

Bill Will

Screenwriter
The only difference I see between them, and it just could be the pictures, is that the 43 seems to have Exposed Front Input Jacks where the 44's Jacks have a cover over them. Myself I would go by price but I would fight like hell if possible not to pay as much for a 43 as a 44 seeing the 43 is a discontinued model. If your looking for a review on the 24" Toshiba check www.cnet.com because there was a review on the older 24AF42 model & if I remember right the reviewer loved the set except for the fact that it din't have the 16:9 DVD Mode but Toshiba took care of that with the introduction of the 24AF43.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks