What's new

HEADS UP: Square said to announce XBOX support on 24th! (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Square EA has been sending invitations to online XBOX editors(but no Gamecube) editors to attentend a Square announcement on Sept 24th!!!
Rumored titles include Secret of Mana 3, FFIX as well as two other titles....
More to come!

Shawn O

Stunt Coordinator
Morgan Jolley(sp?),
From your past posts,You seem to have commented about SquareSoft quite frequently.Do you have any information pertaining to this?

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I can pretty much tell you what happened:
Square releases Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
FF:TSW bombs at the box office.
Square needs cash bad.
Uncle Bill come rolling up into Square with $$ bags.
Square is happy to have Bills money.
Bill is happy to have Square.
People flock to buy Bills Xbox just because FF is on it.
Bill makes mad BLING BLING.
Both Bill and Square are happy.
The End.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I'm not sure this is major news yet. Square has repeatedly stated that they wanted FFXI on EVERY next generation platform and PCs, because it's a pay-or-don't-play MMRPG. They've been pleading with Nintendo for awhile to get back on their system, but Nintendo doesn't seem to have any interest.
If they announce full support, great. But the FFXI stuff is old news.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
As Adam said, Square has said that they want FFXI to be on everything to expand the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced.
FFX and XII are PS2 exclusives. FF7-9 remakes are as well.
Square might announce The Bouncer (remake or sequel) because they have showed interest in remaking it or making another one. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a new game for XB, but they won't be releasing anything from FF (besides XI) any time soon.
Nothing I haven't already heard about, other than that they are having a conference on the 24th.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
FFX and XII are PS2 exclusives. FF7-9 remakes are as well.
but they won't be releasing anything from FF (besides XI) any time soon.
Nothing I haven't already heard about, other than that they are having a conference on the 24th.
Heh. There's exclusive & exclusive.
Reading between the lines of informed posts on here & from friends, Square are currently developing for the XBox, they just haven't announced it. We know Square are financially hurting on the PS2 & through their film venture.
We know Square have also invested heavily in a Japanese (& worldwide eventually) network, only to discover that Sony's online plans will lock them out...
I think a formal announcement of their XBox support is likely. I wouldn't build up the hype for this announcement too much either - I've seen plenty of rumoured 'big announcements' recently fizzle out.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I dunno about this. This exact rumour has been floating around in the last week or so regarding Square developing for the Gamecube.
And guess what? The announcement is supposed to be made on the same day as this supposed Xbox announcement.
I'd say we all just wait and see what really happens.
I'm sure though that Square will be going multiplatform for games like FFXI and other online games.
Andrew
**EDIT** - changed 'IX' to XI
[Edited last by AndyVX on September 20, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean to sound rude, but IX means 9. I think you mean XI, which means 11.
Square's online plans are still going as they were. FFXI is online for PC, PS2, and Square has stated that it may end up for another console (or two). If they can get it on the GCN and XB, then they will.
Other than that, if they develop anything for a console besides PS2, then it will end up being a new title or won't be in the FF series. I could see Kingdom Hearts on GCN or XB, as could the Chocobo stuff, but thats about it.
I would like to see a Nintendo/Square collaboration on another Mario RPG game. Imagine what the two of them could pull off.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Yes I realize that 'IX' is not eleven. It was a simple slip on the keyboard...
Andrew

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
OK here is what I have learned....
On the 24th, Square will be breafing Print publications ONLY on Square's plans for TGS (October)
Because of NDA's there may not be many details or leaks about this meeting until TGS..
BUT
The breafing concerns XBOX *FOR SURE*
The rumor mill says:
FF11 on all systems
New Chrono Trigger game XBOX exclusive
New Seiken Densetsu 5 (Secret of Mana) XBOX exclusive
These are all rumored games though....

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Seiken Desnsetsu I could care less about, but a new Chrono game would be super sweet no matter what. FFXI is almost definitely on the XB (bad blood between Nintendo and Square could halt it on GCN, but I hope not). If they make a new Chrono game (which a lot of the staff members have wanted to do since they finished Chrono Cross) then I hope it comes out on PS2 and XB, if not GCN also. Why? Because I don't want to have to buy an XB to get it and I want to see Square make ammends with Nintendo.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what IGN has to say about the matter:
Link Removed
Rumor Report: Square Announcing Secret Games?
Is the company about to announce three Xbox titles on Monday?
September 21, 2001
Here's what we know at this time – some of the world's press has been called to Japan in order to receive what could be a pre-TGS briefing on Square's Xbox game announcements. Rumors on the web have been spilling in on the unconfirmed information that the Square announcement might actually hit on Monday morning during a press conference in Tokyo. Others have rumored that this is actually just a pre-TGS briefing for major magazines, and that all information released is to ensure that magazines with long lead times have the information for print around the same time as the show in October.
Square's been rumored to have Xbox titles under its sleeve for over a year now, but what could they be? From what we've heard from sources and flying monkeys, these are the titles that will be announced (when, of course, Square finally announces them):
Final Fantasy XI (Square's online world, for multiple platforms)
Bushido Blade X (realistic fighting with one-hit kills)
Chrono Cross X (if you don't know what this is, then you've missed out on one of the best RPG series ever)
Final Fantasy XI has been rumored (and not-so-subtly hinted at by the company) for the system for months now, but the announcement of the other games, particularly Chrono Cross X, comes as welcome surprise to those worried that Japanese support of the Xbox will be sparse and second-hand. But what's this about Nintendo scooping up Square altogether? More rumors, folks. Whose rumors are beating out whose rumors? We'll find out soon enough -- but at the very least, we know that Xbox and cross-platform people were invited to this event, and that our Nintendo editors are still sitting at their house in SF instead of in Tokyo, so...
-- IGN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks