What's new

HDTV. What are the most necessary items the TV has to have to be most compatible? (1 Viewer)

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
I want to spend about $2500 on an HDTV. I am interested in a big Projection HDTV greater than 60".

I currently have the following:
Progressive scan Pioneer 563A DVD player.
Motorola High Definition DCT5100 Cable Box with HDTV service from RCN.

What should the TV have for me to get the best picture from both of these devices? Do I need an HD tuner? Does it need Format converting capability? I also what some good Horizontal viewing angles. What Connections? (My cable box has all formats including DVI). Don't forget, the TV needs to have good picture quality.

The only TV I have looked at so far is the Mitsubishi 65" HDTV WS-65313.

If there is a section in Home Theater Forum that addresses these concerns, please link for me.
Thanks,

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
you don't need an HD tuner built into the set--the cable box will handle that for you, and will also handle scanrate conversion.

All currently available HD-ready sets have component inputs, but make sure you get one that has 2 sets of them (most do), for both HD and progressive scan dvd.

For future compatibility a DVI input is also a must these days.

Derek B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve. Can I use the DVI instead of the Component Inputs for High Definition?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Has long as the cable box and the HDTV has DVI, sure. Both DVI and Component will carry Hi Def signals.

ChrisTheg

Agent
You would get much picture quality if you went one level higher with the Mitz Projection TV. You probably saw that TV at BestBuy you should try looking somewhere like Tweeter where they offer the 65413 and 65613 They are MUCH MUCH better and aren't much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks