What's new

Please help me understand HDR compatibility with my receiver (1 Viewer)

gregsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Suarez
I am wondering (hoping) my current Denon receiver supports some kind of current HDR protocol. Please see the attached PDF, which is the spec/promo sheet provided to me by Denon. This is a 2016 model year receiver, so this is going to be hit or miss. I'm no expert on this. The receiver specs have HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. I don't know if this is enough for any serious compatibility. I'm pretty certain Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are off the table. I'm hoping the receiver can at least support "basic" HDR10.

Here's what I have come to understand from speaking with a Crutchfield rep and a Denon support person (who was very non-committal with answers): 4K UHD Blu-ray discs and PlayStation 5 games use - at the very least - HDR10. So, to see any kind of HDR benefit from these formats, you need a system compatible with a minimum of HDR10. What Crutchfield told me was this receiver is only compatible with some kind of pre-HDR10 format, which is not only obsolete, but would not engage the HDR function on any HDR TV bought right now while using UHD discs and PS5 games. Apparently the specs of the receiver seem more confident than they are?...

My situation is I have Sony 4K HDTV I bought in late 2015, but it does not have any HDR function. I would like to get into the HDR game, but I don't have an endless budget. I would like to get a full Dolby Vision setup, but that would require a new receiver. Plus, my 4K disc playback device went from a first-gen Samsung UHD BRD player to the PlayStation 5, and the PS5 does not have Dolby Vision capability (although it may in the future, in a downloadable update). Ideally, I would love to buy a new HDR TV, but not need to buy a new receiver. I love this receiver and there's nothing wrong with it, functionally. If I am stuck with "only HDR10", I'm okay with that. However, I don't want to spend the money on a new TV if I get it home and the receiver won't pass an HDR signal. Like the receiver, my current TV is still functionally perfect.

So, what's my situation? Is the receiver HDR10 capable? Will I waste my money buying a new TV?

Thanks!

Attachments

• avrs920w_specsheet_v3.pdf
    992.6 KB · Views: 123

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
I am wondering (hoping) my current Denon receiver supports some kind of current HDR protocol. Please see the attached PDF, which is the spec/promo sheet provided to me by Denon. This is a 2016 model year receiver, so this is going to be hit or miss. I'm no expert on this. The receiver specs have HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. I don't know if this is enough for any serious compatibility. I'm pretty certain Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are off the table. I'm hoping the receiver can at least support "basic" HDR10.

Here's what I have come to understand from speaking with a Crutchfield rep and a Denon support person (who was very non-committal with answers): 4K UHD Blu-ray discs and PlayStation 5 games use - at the very least - HDR10. So, to see any kind of HDR benefit from these formats, you need a system compatible with a minimum of HDR10. What Crutchfield told me was this receiver is only compatible with some kind of pre-HDR10 format, which is not only obsolete, but would not engage the HDR function on any HDR TV bought right now while using UHD discs and PS5 games. Apparently the specs of the receiver seem more confident than they are?...

My situation is I have Sony 4K HDTV I bought in late 2015, but it does not have any HDR function. I would like to get into the HDR game, but I don't have an endless budget. I would like to get a full Dolby Vision setup, but that would require a new receiver. Plus, my 4K disc playback device went from a first-gen Samsung UHD BRD player to the PlayStation 5, and the PS5 does not have Dolby Vision capability (although it may in the future, in a downloadable update). Ideally, I would love to buy a new HDR TV, but not need to buy a new receiver. I love this receiver and there's nothing wrong with it, functionally. If I am stuck with "only HDR10", I'm okay with that. However, I don't want to spend the money on a new TV if I get it home and the receiver won't pass an HDR signal. Like the receiver, my current TV is still functionally perfect.

So, what's my situation? Is the receiver HDR10 capable? Will I waste my money buying a new TV?

Thanks!
I don't see any mention of any HDR support on Denon's specs page for that model:

That said, some googling says that the HDMI ports on this unit are HDMI 2.0a which per spec does support HDR. Some customer questions on Amazon and forum posts on another big home theater forum say that indeed plain HDR10. It does not support variable refresh rate so a Playstation 5 would be off the table as well (those require HDMI 2.1 as far as I can tell).

So it would seem you just need a new TV for now to get HDR10 going.

gregsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Suarez
I don't see any mention of any HDR support on Denon's specs page for that model:

That said, some googling says that the HDMI ports on this unit are HDMI 2.0a which per spec does support HDR. Some customer questions on Amazon and forum posts on another big home theater forum say that indeed plain HDR10. It does not support variable refresh rate so a Playstation 5 would be off the table as well (those require HDMI 2.1 as far as I can tell).

So it would seem you just need a new TV for now to get HDR10 going.
Thank you. I don't really care about the 120 Hz refresh on the PS5. 60 Hz is fine, which is what I can get with my current set up. There are actually no 120 Hz supported games, anyway.

The spec sheet I attached on my op claimed HDR support, but according to Crutchfield it's some outdated unused HDR. Of course, he was trying to sell me something.

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Thank you. I don't really care about the 120 Hz refresh on the PS5. 60 Hz is fine, which is what I can get with my current set up. There are actually no 120 Hz supported games, anyway.

The spec sheet I attached on my op claimed HDR support, but according to Crutchfield it's some outdated unused HDR. Of course, he was trying to sell me something.
yeah as far as I understand HDR10 is basically the 'base' default version of HDR in a home cinema context. There are also HDR10+, Dolby Vision and a couple others but the plain ol' HDR10 should get you by.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks