What's new

HDTV or Projector? (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I really have no idea about projection but it seems like a good choice. I'm willing to spend $5000 for everything(screen and such) any brands you can direct me to would be a great help. I do not need it for HDTV because this is going into a HT room if that helps. What size image are we talking about with a projector and where do you place the center speaker. It seems like it would save so much space and bring the theater even closer to home. Any benefits HDTV offers where projectors can't or vise versa? Thanks for reading.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Joel, there are certain things/criteria you first have to establish...
- Can you control the ambient light in your room?
- Will you be using this primarily for home theatre/movies (I think you provided this answer already)
- Budget ($5000)
You can get a projector that is capable of displaying HD with that budget ie. the Sony VPLVW11HT, Sanyo VPL60HT etc.
With these projectors, I would probably set up a 100" 16x9 screen with a seating distance of 12-13ft from the screen. You will add your centre speaker below the screen on a stand similar to what I have done here Link Removed
My preference is for a FPTV setup rather than a HDTV setup because the final product is much more cinematic and representative of the true theatrical experience which is what we try to do ultimately.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Yes I think I may look into that projector. The Sony VPLVW11HT that is. I think 100' screen would be killer. Tell me, how is this done. Do you have to put the projector farther back or is there a switch to adjust the size? Like I said before I'm new to the projector thing. Oh and thanks for clarifying the center channel question...I always thought it had to be above the TV for some reason.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Sony 11HT has an auto zoom feature, and note that this projector has a "short through", meaning it can be mounted close to the screen and still get a large picture. It is a very quiet unit and the cooling fans don't make much noise so it could be mounted directly overhead if you wish, although I always liked a mount slightly behind the main listening position. Even so, if mounted directly overhead, it won't be seen or heard once you are looking at the screen. How high is you ceiling. Tell us more about your proposed room, other equipment, what you have in mind etc.
Others, feel free to chime in :)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I'm in a 20 X 30 bedroom with 8 ft ceilings. My equipment now and on the way is:

(2)Diva 6.1

(1)C3

(4)R4's

(1)Denon2802

(1)Parasound855

(1)Parasound2003

(2)SVS25-31CS+

(1)Sampson1000

(1)Vega36

My question is if I were to say look into a 100" screen what would be the dimension for 16:9. Thanks for your help.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
A 16:9 screen that has a 100" diagonal should be around 110"-120" wide, depending on how much matting material is around the sides. Your room size is perfect for FPTV, thats a huge space.

If you get a fixed screen (instead of a rolldown type) you can actually get a perf screen and mount your speakers behind it. Many people like them because they allow for a much more "hidden" install.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks