What's new

HDTV and VGA input (1 Viewer)

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
I hope someone can help me here. I'm very close to getting a Loewe 38" Aconda for a very good price. The main complaint that many reviewers have of it is that it only has ONE component input. If one has both a progressive DVD player AND an HDTV tuner they have a problem.
The Loewe doesn't have DVI, but it does have a VGA input. What's confusing me is that for PCs VGA means 640 by 480 resolution. But I'm guessing, and here is where I'm looking for some help, that THIS VGA supports HDTV resolutions up to 1080i.
With a HDTV set top tuner, is the difference between the current darling connection, DVI, and the VGA that some tuners still have, that DVI preserves a pure digital signal until it reaches the TV, and the VGA signal is an analog signal right out of the tuner? (Like with PCs?)
And then finally, who makes a good HDTV tuner that has a VGA output? Inexpensive is always nice.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Another solution is to buy a component switch box. This will allow four sets of component inputs to go to the switch box and one set to the Loewe.

Some receivers also have multiple component inputs, which can be directed to a single component output.

BTW, I’m jealous of your contemplated purchase. Loewe makes a very fine set indeed.

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Lew. I'm hoping to avoid switch boxes. I dislike any un-necessary item that gets in the signals path.
Does component provide better picture quality then the VGA? (Or for that matter DVI?) I haven't read any reviews that make mention of this.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The RCA DTC-100 has a VGA output: it does OTA ATSC as well as DirecTV. And it's very cheap.

Most PC VGA's are well beyond the 640 x 480 resolution - that's just history now.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
The RGB(VGA) input on the Loewe looks slightly cleaner than the component. We hooked up a dish network model 6000 HD reciver to it. Depending on your dvd player it would probly be better to hook up your HD box with component and your DVD player with S-Video and let the Loewe do the progressive scan on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks