What's new

Philips 60PP9601 HD inputs dead (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
We have a Philips 60PP9601 HDTV. It was working fine for years but recently both HD inputs have gone dead -- no picture. It has two HD inputs; component and VGA.

The standard-def inputs are still working, but not well. I would guess the problem with them started at the same time as the HD inputs, but I'm not sure because I rarely used them until now.

One of the SD inputs is S-Video. It has lots of flashing horizontal lines. Also, blues sort of bloom and take over large areas of the screen. Also the color is not right.

Another SD input is composite. That one has much fewer flashing lines, and I haven't seen the blooming blues. But the color is also not right.

Any suggestions? Is it clear from this description what part or parts probably need replacing? Is it possible for me to get and install those parts myself without having to pay for a pro or replace the TV?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
It's a rare 4:3 HDTV. 1080i, 720p.

The only difference between it and its sister 16:9 HDTV model 55PP9701 is that it's taller.

Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin look great on that 60" 4:3 HDTV screen.

Greg
schan1269 said:
I just looked, is that thing 4:3?

IF so...it died.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I get it that it was a great set...Emphasis on was. Being a 4:3, it is old enough i seriously doubt there are parts. Even if shared with the 55...

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
From a cost/benefit standpoint (finding parts/ labour/whether necessary to hire someone to do the work for you), like most technology from the last 20 years or so, it is cheaper to replace it than to repair it. It's called "planned obsolescence."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks