What's new

HDTV and DVI: A Very Important Article (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking to buy a Hi-def capable TV soon, take 10 minutes to read and learn Link Removed
Hint Hint...you might want a DVI input

Hugh M

Second Unit
thanks for the link. that is great reading.

I think some sort of mega petition should be started. I really think it is quite a waste of everyone's time to be adding these copy protection schemes. They only add inconvenience and cost to the consumer, and do very little to stop bigtime pirates from doing what they want.

as someone else put it, as long as there are developing countries with a demand for piracy these copy protection things will have little effect on that industry.

maybe addressing the people who are paying the contractors to add the schemes would be a better idea? I mean why tell the company that is in the business of adding CP?

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Very good article...that's why I decided to wait on my purchase of a HDTV ready TV. I think this is the first step. Soon, all TV's will have either broadband or dial-up connections to the internet. Then when "Pirate Boxes" show up to defeat the DVI encryption, all they will have to do is upload a different encryption into your TV. Satellite receivers already have modems, so it would be very easy for them to upload any changes they wanted to into the receiver. When cable boxes start appearing with the DVI inputs, they will probably require a broadband connection to receive HDTV. That way they can not only screw you for HDTV, they also make you buy their broadband. Just my 2 cents!

Randy T

Atho

Agent
This is complete bullshit. I jsut gto my HDTV and payed a god amount to lock in the peace of mind that I would'nt be needing a new set for quite some time.

Many, many people have HDTV analog sets...we're not goanna stand for this....either the manufacturers will hae to upgrade our existing sets.....or simply not implement the new interface.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"Now there's an eye opener and no mistake."

I guess this settles the question of whether or not to sink cash into an HD set now. I was dying to get a 16x9 set to enjoy my anamorphic DVDs on, and hopefully enjoy HDTV in the future, but not after reading this. CRT PJ, here I come.

Where's the petition? Im ready to put my name on it.
My wife would take the head off of all these ignoramuses in the MPAA, etc. if she ever finds out about this problem.
We bought our first tv (Magnavox 27") back in '94 and it stills works wonderfully. We bought our NEW RPTV-HDmonitor Toshiba 57H81 under the assumption that it would last for another good 7-10 years. If this is not gonna be the case somebody tell me which direction to point MY WIFE'S FURY!:angry:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If needed, I'll upgrade when DVD as a home video format is replaced, or when HDTV becomes more widespread. I don't mind upgrading. I DO mind spending major bucks on a TV set that most likely will be obsolete by the time HDTV becomes widespread, without being told about it. Honesty is the crux of the issue for me.
Thanks for the great article, btw :)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I would really take all this with a grain of salt. I highly doubt all of the current HDTV's we are all using now will be obselete in a yr or 2 or 5. Even by some remote chance this is true, the class action lawsuits against ALL of the manufacturers who advertise and label their current sets as HDTV compatible or HDTV ready (and will be made obsolete by this) will cost them billions. I remember all this crap back with DAT and mini disks. I am certainly not regretting my decision to order an HDTV (samsung TSL3294hf) the othjer day.

TylerL

Grip
Whoa whoa whoa...

just because you have a now obsolete peice of trash TV doesn't mean that you can act selfish about it.

Maybe you should have done your homework...but i say let all the new advancements carry on!

And if you don't have a DVI input...well you're screwed! Deal with it and stop being babies about it...i'm sure they will still put out a crappy, low quaility media souce for those of you without DVI.

TylerL

Grip
Here is a hint for you noobs out there:

get a Plasma TV. OMFG the picture is SOOOO good and almost all of them come with a DVI input...so looks like im still good.

and i *think* they are not suseptible to screen burn.

Definately a smart move.

And to all of you out there with some crappy Best Buy RPTV wanna-be High Def trash...might as well toss it off a cliff.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
TylerL, I would not be surprised if you were banned from this forum and then emailed a copy of the forum rules. This is not a place to insult others like you are doing.

TylerL

Grip
Ok...sorry guys. That second post was kinda overboard.

Its just my pet peeve is whiners. All they ever think about is ME ME ME. Like it's never their fault.

You pay the price for being on the cutting edge and/or going the cheap route. Don't blame others for the mistake.

Its none of your business what MPAA does...if they want to invent some new type of plug...so be it.

Aleksei S

Auditioning
Ok, Now I've got some real questions.
Since I'm fairly new to this game I'm probably a noob (very confused about that one):frowning:
I guess I'm hesitant to spend the money I have, which isn't much, on a new T.V. if its going to obsolete in the next few years. I've been burned too many times by the computer industry to want that again. But do you guys really think that the encryption technology coming down the tubes will make all current HDTV obsolete.
Wouldn't it make more sense (ok, I guess that's my first mistake) to make a type of interconverter that takes the encrypted signal though one side with Firewire or Toslink and then outputs it through an HD component link.
I realize there may be some resolution loss from doing this extra step, or will the loss be so great as to make the output fairly non-high definition?
Should I just forget about a new TV for right now? I'm never going to have the money for a plasma tv.
Cheers,
Alex
P.S. Thanks for the apology Tyler. I agree, let the new advancements carry on, but don't force those who don't earn much to live in the dark ages.

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject by any means, but there are some things that seem screwy to me.

Tyler,

Do you agree or disagree that the standards for HDTV broadcasts were set long before the MPAA or anybody else came along with their notions for copy protection, ie the DVI or FireWire input/output conundrum?

Believe me, if I had $15K+ to throw at a PlasmaTV(more than I spent on my first car! ) then I'd do it in a heart beat. For that matter if I won the lotto this week, I'd hang a P-TV in every room of my new 7 bedroom house! But as is the case with the majority of the people in this world, a P-TV is NOT in my budget.

For all,

OTA HD content is really all I care about at this point. If and when HD-DVD arrives then I can wait 5yrs before upgrading to it with a new player and TV. The install base of DVD players is so huge at this point that the switch to HD-DVD will be SLOOOOOWWWW, IMHO. Let alone that it will require people to upgrade to an HDTV with DVI/FireWire input as well.

Finally, a question: Would it be possible to have a DVI-to-YPbPr(component) converter? I've wondered whether I could connect my computer to my HD-monitor in this way for high-resolution picture but it would apply to the future for interoperability of our "older" model HDTVs that dont have DVI inputs.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Here's why they will introduce a bridging device (connecting current HDTV-ready sets to whatever they come up with, DVI or otherwise).
1) They have to be able to market to the presently installed HDTV base. The market right now is not exactly explosive growth, and alienating the only people who currently have the technology is a sure way to obsolescence. Who is going to buy this technology? Early adopters. Who represents the majority of HDTV owners? Early adopters. Doesn't make sense.
2) Legal issues with the current TVs being marketed as HDTV-ready if in fact they are not. Could be a stream of class action suits against set makers.
3) Waste of money not to. Fact is, whatever the new encryption they come up with will be hacked (and probably faster if it is not compatible with current sets) and that translates into lost revenue from selling the little adapter boxes (or licensing the system that is placed on them). Smart companies never ignore potential revenue, especially revenue that will be going to competitors.
4) Products without backward compatibility rarely (if ever) succeed in the HT market.
They already sell DVI to VGA cables, but I'm not sure that this would circumvent the problem: http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?item=282139
TylerL- Few people can afford plasma, and in many cases it has poorer picture quality than decent CRT, LCD, and DLP setups especially in terms of black levels. It certainly has its advantages, but suggesting that everyone should purchase one is a little silly.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean that the new Sony Wega sets with a DVI connector are still problematic since they don't have a firewire connector (to my knowledge)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks