What's new

Hawaii Five-O: Season 5 11/18/08 (1 Viewer)

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Oh god please NO! with hollywierd recent track recorded with squels, re do s and up dates being mostly god awful horriable, why cant hollywood leave the classics alone just release the classic shows and movies themselves?:thumbsdown:

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
As long as it is better than Stephen J. Cannell's horrible 1997 pilot (featuring Gary Busey, a back-from-the-dead Chin Ho, an awful theme revise, and bad acting). The stench from that project still remains. I have confidence this version will be a step up. With any luck, it will honor the old show without giving it way too much of a makeover (just enough). If they use characters/actors that we care about, have lots of scenery, a nice variety of plotlines and criminal-types, good dialogue and great guest stars, we should be safe. Granted, that's a lot to get right. Time will tell. At least it pretty much guarantees more classic Five-0 DVD releases.

Marty McKee

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty McKee

The Cannell pilot is something of a Holy Grail for me. I can't believe it hasn't turned up on YouTube or someplace. I don't expect it to be good, but I am curious.

I do have to say that I have the updated theme (by Mike Post?), and I thought he did a good job with it. I like Post's updating of the DRAGNET theme for the ABC remake too.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah! I'm pleased that CBS Paramount actually listened to the fan community and responded with a correction, something I wasn't sure we'd see given The Fugitive debacle. Dave's post on the website indicated there was some discussion on the matter; I'm curious if they were resistant to changing it at first.
I'm also please the revised art now includes a season 5 image of Danny and Chin, along with the addition of Ben. Alas, McGarrett's image is still from season 3, but no big deal, it may be for the best. By season 5, his hair and sideburns had gotten much bushier and more '70's-ish anyway.

Anyway, thanks to Dave for bringing the matter to CBS' attention and convincing them to do the right thing!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It was Gord who did all of the discussing, not me; kudos and credit go to him. Gord held side conversations with me about it when necessary.

Part of that discussional hold-up was along the lines that you brought up yourself early in this thread, Jeff. You said "I'm sure this is temp art, some kind of placeholder for retailers." And I told you, "It was not presented as temp art to retailers; I got it via the same method I always get 'finished' art from the studio." That method, of course, is to download it from Paramount's password protected press site.

Well, the studio contact Gord spoke to (when she finally had time to respond to the situation...hey, she's a busy person) at first held the same belief, that I got the art from someplace unofficial/unauthorized, and my doing that must have been the source of the trouble (Tsk, tsk: bad Dave...always showing fans that early temp retailer art...uh, yeah; look for more of it this weekend for other recently announced titles, unless the studio sends out final art for them today ;) ). Once I had shown Gord where I got Hawaii Five-O - Season 5 art from on Paramount's official site, and Gord had demonstrated that to the studio contact, things went smoother.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

This was all e-mailed back-and-forth, not on the phone, so what I describe above took a bit of time. Once they got the idea, there was no real "resistance" to the change, as far as I can tell. Then they had to take time to make the actual change, of course. And here we are.

Oh, I'm sure at their end there had to be a bit of hand-wringing and discussion over "how did this get screwed up and who's responsible?", but we didn't see any of that. But that sort of thing is normal and natural in a corporate environment, so I expect it happened in some fashion. But this was hardly a Fugitive-level situation :D , and at least we had the ability to get it all worked out before the box hit the shelves...or the printers, as far as I can tell. I doubt any "Kono" boxes will ever make it to market, so no collectibles there, probably.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Wow, thanks for the scoop on that Dave, and thanks to CBS Paramount for making the change in a timely fashion before they had another, albeit much smaller-scale, PR disaster on their hands.

I can't help but wonder that if it weren't for you and Gord passing on our concerns to the studio if we ever would have gotten new artwork. It seems kind of doubtful whether anyone at the studio would have caught it on their own. You guys rock!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Glad to see that Paramount have changed the images of Chin Ho and Danny Williams and most importantly swapped the image of Kono for an image of Ben. Pity the image of Steve McGarrett image hasn't been changed but at least all the main cast members from season 5 are there on the cover.

Also pleased to see in the new article that there will be Jack Lord episode promos to go with the episodes. But how many of the 24 episodes will have episode promos?

Over here the BBFC passed 17 episode promos for the fourth season boxset. I found out on this forum that some of the episodes which haven't got episode promos on the Season 4 DVD discs are the two part stories. Is there a reason why the two part stories in season 4 didn't have Jack Lord episode promos?

OT: Were there no episode promos for the first season of Hawaii Five-O?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Far as the photo of Jack Lord being from an earlier season, isn't that what Jack liked? They never updated his picture in the opening credits over the course of 12 seasons.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

On that note, he allegedly covered up his true age in his official bio by saying he was born in 1930, when I think at some point it was established he was born in 1920 (probably based on school records). Age and appearance seem to be things he was very conscious of. His actual season 5 appearance was more along the lines of the attached photo.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
With the fifth season of Hawaii Five-O coming out on Region 1 in two weeks, will there be a review on Home Theater Forum soon?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have heard it said that the cold opening that was standard for #1-#4 was abolished for #5 in favor of simply starting with the main title sequence. When #5 comes out, will that be the case?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks Matt. Really looking forward to reading the review.

A new listing for Hawaii Five-O has been added to the BBFC website today in the Recent Decisions section for Video and DVD - Jack Lord episode promos for Season 5. More episodes have Jack Lord episode promos for this boxset compared to the Season 4 boxset.

What has surprised me as well is the rule of the 'no episode promos for the two-part stories" has been broken. Each part of the V for Vashon trilogy has an episode promo.

The total running time for the Season 5 episode promos altogether is 19 minutes (it will be longer for the Region 1 set). The running time of each episode promo varies between 56-58 seconds long (it will be longer for the Region 1 set). 20 episodes out of 24 have episode promos.

Below is a list of the Season 5 episodes which have Jack Lord episode promos (with the disc number they're on above the episode titles) :

Season 5 (1972-73)

Disc 1:

Episode 1: "Death Is a Company Policy" - Season 5 premiere and the 100th televised episode of Hawaii Five-O

Episode 2: "Death Wish on Tantalus Mountain"
Episode 3: "You Don't Have to Kill to Get Rich -- But It Helps"
Episode 4: "Pig in a Blanket

Disc 2:

Episode 5: "The Jinn Who Clears the Way"
Episode 6: "Fools Die Twice"
Episode 7: "Chain of Events"
Episode 8: "Journey Out of Limbo"

Disc 3:

Episodes 9-11: "V for Vashon: Parts 1-3"

Disc 4:

Episode 15: "Thanks for the Honeymoon"
Episode 16: "The Listener"

Disc 5:

Episode 17: "Here Today, Gone Tonight"
Episode 18: "The Odd Lot Caper"
Episode 19: "Will the Real Mr. Winkler Please Die"
Episode 20: "Little Girl Blue"

Disc 6:

Episode 21: "Percentage"
Episode 22: "Engaged to Be Buried"
Episode 24: "Jury of One" - Season 5 finale.

Did someone say on here that the episode "Little Girl Blue" might have music edits? I definintely remember discussion in this Home Theater Forum about "Chain of Events" not being digitally remastered.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

This is correct, the cold openings are gone, however one gets the sense when watching season 5 episodes that they easily could have continued with the cold openings, as most of the episodes (following the main title sequence) have several minutes of the story presented, followed by the episode's opening credits as the story continues.

I always loved the cold openings (reminded me of the James Bond movies) and was sad to see them go when season 5 began.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I recently visited the official CBS Paramount syndication website and the Hawaii Five-0 section was recently updated to note that HD transfers have been made of the first 5 seasons....and season 6 is currently underway. It's safe to say that these HD transfers are being used on the DVDs, so I would expect ALL of the season 5 episodes will look gorgeous (despite the fact one of them-Chain of Events-was not digitally remastered prior). And even better, it's fair to guess that season 6 will be on the way sometime next spring.

Now let's just hope none of the season 5 underscore has been replaced (a la THE FUGITIVE and MY THREE SONS).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

That's exactly what I wanted to know. The stories of #1-#4 were generally pretty good, so I'm hoping for the same thing for #5. I'm certain that the "Vashon" 3-parter will be a sight.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
If you're referring to Hawaii Five-O's pre-title sequences then I never thought of them as 'cold teasers'. Are they called cold teasers because they were depressing or something else negative?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

A cold open is an industry term for when a show or movie opens straight into the story preceding any opening title sequence, like with Bond movies, SNL, and the first 4 seasons of Hawaii Five-0. A lot of shows these days, like CSI, The Office, Criminal Minds and more, have revived this practice. It hooks the viewer in right away. You are correct, though, they are also defined as a pre-title sequence.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Oh I see. Thanks for the explanation. I think it mentions this in the Booking Hawaii Five-O book too. So does this mean the episodes' running times are shorter? Over here they've been between 48 and 49 minutes and 30 seconds. On Region 1 I'm assuming they've been between 50 and 51 minutes (what I've gathered from reading on the IMDb boards for Hawaii Five-O and on here).

Did they just move the cold opener/teaser to the start of the episode after the title sequence?

If the episodes are not shorter, from the fifth season onwards each episode ran like this:

Jack Lord episode promo - Title sequence with main cast credits - Episode - End credits ?

Will there be one or two screenshots with the Season 5 DVD (Region 1) review? I know every DVD reviewer on here might not be able to do it, but I was impressed by what I saw the other day when I had a quick look through the review of the Fugitive: Season 1 - Volume 1 review. That's not to say any review without screenshots I've had a look at on here hasn't been as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.