What's new

Hawaii Five-O: Season 5 11/18/08 (1 Viewer)

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I'm sure this is temp art, some kind of placeholder for retailers. There's no way they will let this go out as the final art, with Kono instead of Ben. Additionally, they are using a season 3 McGarrett image, as well as older images of Chin and Danny, whereas the previous DVD seasons' images were pulled from the correct seasons.

The people at CBS/Paramount that work on the Five-0 releases have done an exceptional job so far to date (aside from the Season 2 "Bored She Hung Herself omission). I am sure this will be fixed. (Here's hoping they don't replace the underscore
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
maybe they've digitally inserted Kono into the episodes. They just cut him in with a "Sure, boss" during McGarrett barking out orders

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It was not presented as temp art to retailers; I got it via the same method I always get "finished" art from the studio. However, that doesn't mean they didn't screw it up. ;)

Gord has informed the studio about the issue; hopefully they get this resolved.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

Yikes, that makes me nervous. Maybe they have a new group of people working on the packaging, as they clearly failed to do their homework.

Also, assuming all 24 5th season episodes are included in the set, one of them (Chain of Events) is likely to NOT be digitially remastered (meaning it may look like the "Cannon" DVD episodes), as the CBS Paramount syndication bible indicates the other 23 episodes all were.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm so glad that this series is doing well enough on DVD for it to continue. Count me in for getting season 5 (and all of the rest of the seasons that they choose to release).

I also noticed the picture on Kono on the cover art. I hope that this is fixed.

Brian GT

Agent
I did a double take when I saw Kono on the box as well.
One assumes that it'll get fixed before it's released. What a screw-up that would be.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I would hope that CBS/P would remaster the one episode that wasn't remastered for syndication. After the flack they caught over the subpar Cannon release I'd be surprised if one of their bread & butter franchises was presented in a subpar fashion also. After all, these are the guys that put classic TV "on a pedestal".

I'm more concerned about an episode called "Little Girl Blue". I'm not familar with the episode, but if it is music heavy or if the title song plays throughout that could be a problem. The song of the same name was clipped from one of the Gomer Pyle sets. Anyone here familiar with the episode enough to judge how problematic (or not) it may be?

Steve

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I have a copy of that episode and have watched it several times. The song you refer to is not featured in this episode, so no worries there. It's a remake of a season 4 episode with a few changes, essentially involving 2 bumbling kidnappers who abduct a little girl and take refuge in the bunker on the mountain. I actually liked it better than the season 4 version, which involved a disgruntled sniper who had mommy issues.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
This just made me day! Between the release of the 3rd season of Star Trek - TOS and this...November is shaping up to be super.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Thanks, Jeff. You're right, that S4 sniper had MEGA mommy issues almost to the point of the ending scene being unintentionally funny.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
That would be a nice Christmas present if season five comes out on R2 before the end of the year, but I doubt it. We'll likely get it around March/April next year.

I remember watching the V for Vashon trilogy on Granada Plus a few years ago, and while I thought it was a good story I don't think it was as good as people make it out to be.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I was reading in my copy of Booking Hawaii Five-O earlier that "Chain of Events" is cut in syndication. There's a very brief scene with the actor who plays Duke. He just says one word ("Yes"). It says as well that the actor who played him was in an election.

To do with Hawaii Five-O but about future seasons on DVD (fingers crossed), there's a Jack Lord promo image I'd love to see used on a future front cover artwork. It's my favourite Jack Lord picture promoting Hawaii Five-O - the one with him in a dark blue suit with white tie and shirt, sitting on a canoe looking to his left. It's definitely from the second half of the 70's. I first thought it was from season 12. It's in the Jack Lord or Hawaii Five-O picture gallery on the IMDb. Underneath there is a year which the picture may have been taken in, 1976. It could be a season 9 promo picture. But I think sometimes the years underneath some photos/pictures on the IMDb don't seem right.

Another DVD front cover thought regarding Hawaii Five-O. Hopefully CBS/Paramount will sort out the banner at the bottom of the season 5 front cover artwork, showing Ben instead of Kono.

Just for fun, and I hope I have this correct, below is the list of characters who should be on the front cover artwork in the banners who were in McGarrett's Five-O team during seasons 6 to 12:

Season 6 - Danno, Chin Ho, Ben

Season 7 - Danno, Chin Ho, Ben, Frank Kemana (he only appeared in 12 episodes but he was a memorable character)

Season 8 - Danno, Chin Ho...anybody else?

Season 9 - Danno, Chin Ho, Duke

Season 10 - Danno, Chin Ho, Duke

Season 11 - Danno, Duke..anybody else?

Season 12 - Duke, Kimo, Truck, Lori Wilson.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Duke was featured as a member of the Five-0 team (his first season as a full-fledged member and not a police officer) in Season 8 despite not getting a credit in the intro until season 9.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

I have a copy of "Chain of Events", it was indeed aired in the original non-remastered syndication package from the 80's/90's, and it was uncut as far as I can tell in terms of the runtime without commercials. This episode was NOT remastered in the current syndication package, but will hopefully be included in the season 5 set (it was never withheld from syndication, unlike "Bored She Hung Herself").

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Now comes word that the executive producer of CBS' "Criminal Minds" has agreed to create a new update of "Hawaii Five-0" for the network, and the guy is a huge fan of the original series (not to mention he's a former Chicago beat cop who also exec produced "Third Watch").

If nothing else, this could get us even speedier DVD releases of the original series next year if the show is picked up for Fall 2009. Plus, it may be fair to suggest that the continuing strong sales of the DVD releases indicated to CBS Paramount that there is strong interest in the show, enough to merit a revival.

'Hawaii Five-O' 2.0 set up at CBS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.