What's new

Have we in some way discouraged participation from the studios here? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I could be wrong, but Martin Blythe's last post appears to have been a full year ago, and Peter Staddon's February of this year. I realize they are under no obligation to drop in and that they are very busy men. I simply miss seeing their replies to our queries, and hope we haven't said anything that would offend either of them enough so that he decided to stop participating here...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Dick: Well, its not quite a year. HERE'S a post from Martin back in March. Maybe a half-year. This was when he gave the great news about a 4th quarter release of Ragtime! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I wonder-with corporate and consumer budgets tightening in this so-called 'economic recovery' and with HD just a year or two away-
im getting the feeling that support for DVD is very slowly being put on the back burner...I could be wrong, just a feeling.

It hit me when at the last WARNER chat, they said "no dice" on releasing a Robert Altman film.
Their reason, as I recall-'It wouldnt move enough units'

That film was no blockbuster, but it was an Altman.
The film?
BREWSTER McCLOUD

LizH

Second Unit

HD may wind up being a niche product

For the average viewer whose lineup of shows consists mainly of "Fear Factor", "Seinfeld" reruns, and CNN, a regular (and less expensive) non-HD signal would probably suffice.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Columbia does not participate in this forum. Too bad. I'd like to hear them try and defend their recent 180 degree turn from top of the line to Madacy wannabe. It wasn't until Fox came here that they even realized they were doing a bad job, and turned around so quickly it's unbelievable. Columbia did just the opposite. And we have said that so many times in this forum, the representative from them would be a pariah amongst us.

Even Disney has received more praise than they have.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I've been very unhappy with Columbia, but with such quoted comments, there is little to wonder why Columbia doesn't actively participate on the forum.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
But it isn't like we are asking to meet them in a dark alley somewhere, either.

No matter what the company, they do have reasons for what they do, and most, if not all of their decisions, revolve around money.

Knowing that, and knowing what we dislike, they could show up armed and ready to state what/why/how their company made the decisions that they did. After the crap is out of the way, we could ask about their future releases.

Like for justiflying a FS only release. If they have figures that state that they'd make more money because of the figures that they have, they would be in the right until we could prove them wrong.

But like I said, they should be ready. A short answer without any details falls on deaf ears (ok blind eyes), but with a little bit of backup information, they could prove their point.

Glenn

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of you are not going to like what I'm about to say and to be honest, I don't like it either. The fact of the matter is that the studios know full-well that the dvd market will soon be fully saturated which means they're no longer obligated to explain their marketing decisions to us, the OAR and OAF videophile segment of the dvd market. Whether we like or dislike the reality of the current situtation, the reality is that the studios don't have to cater to our demands any longer regarding this video format. In short, to use one of your own words, they don't have to "justify" anything to us! I expect us to continue to fight the good fight by bringing into light, flawed dvd presentations, but to expect the studios to respond to our every displeasure is not going to happen everytime we want them to. There will be situations in which they will respond to us, however, there will be more times when they simply won't do so.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks