What's new

Has anyone done IVF? (1 Viewer)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My wife and I are looking at the possibility that In Vitro is in our future. She lost a tube due to an ectopic pregancy that ruptured, and we've been unable to conceive since then.

Have any of you done In Vitro? I understand the processes, but would just like to hear some stories, good and bad. Also, how did you pay for it? Sure is a lot of money. Also, what did you do to deal with the flood of emotions involved?

Thanks!

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I could write for hours ....

1) Research local doctor/clinics success rates THOROUGHLY! There are definitely a few top-notch and many weaker choices.
2) You wife needs to be prepared to visit the doctor's office nearly every other day for the month(s) you are going through the process. This can be a VERY difficult burden on a full-time job.
3) Typically, your wife will need hormone injections daily for several weeks. You are probably going to have to admin them (2" needle in posterior)... are you OK with this?
4) The liklihood of multiples is ~25% of all successful IVF pregnancies. Of these multiple pregnancies, about 1 in 5 is higher order (i.e. more than twins)
5) You will likely be counciled re your moral feelings on "selective reduction". It's rare, but is recommended for some higher-order high-risk multiples.
6) The hormone therapies are intense and CERTAINLY DO have some effect on your wife for months/years following the treatment. There is limited research on the after-effects, but post-partum depression can be a serious one.

Check extensively with your insurance/HMO before beginning. Have a sit-down ... my experience is that they will pay after 3-5 years demonstrated infertility or doctors letter.

Scott

PS: Our WONDERFUL twins just had their 7th birthday!

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Randy ... Check your email

One other item to consider ...
If your insurance is weak, you need to consider that the cost of premature birth can be WAY MORE than a few IVF attempts. Complications and preemies are of course, much more common with multiples via IVF. (A typical IVF procedure will transfer 4-5 viable embryos per attempt, with the hopes that 1-2 will go to term).

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Haven't tried it personally, but by a bizarre coincidence, two of our neighbours have and they both have kids to show for it. Over here, the treatment is available on the National Health Service, so I don't know about cost implications.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks