What's new

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm sure Emma Thompson will do a great job, but I've always had, in the back of my mind, Susan Sarandon pictured (Remember the Ballet Teacher she did on The Simpsons?) Either way, those magnifying lenses will really reduce the recognition of Emma Thompson in the role. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
wizards said:
Before 'Children of Dune,' I would have agreed. But she doesn't seem to know how it act in a fantasy movie, so I'm much more glad they went with Thompson. She should fit the role to a T if they get the overlarge glasses right.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
True, most wizards dress poorly in Muggle clothing. But muggle-borns like Hermione and Harry would only naturally wear contemporary muggle clothing. The pictures of Ron have him still in sweaters, so it doesn't look like his waredrobe has been modernized.
I agree that muggle borns will certainly know how to dress in contemporary clothing, that's pretty obvious. However, Hogwarts is part of the wizard world and at least in my mind, I see muggle borns accommodating to the standard wizard style.

However, Alphonso is the director and he's going with his vision. This is fine, I think he'll do many things very well, certainly better than Columbus. I just don't share his vision on this one account.

Galen_V

Second Unit
And more on the non-existance of the height factor in that article as well
But, at 13, what appears to thrill Emma most is that she is no longer the shortest of the three main characters.
"After all these years of being the shortest, Dan has come to face the fact that I'm taller than him," she said.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
Tony that other thread is about the fourth movie, "Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire". :b

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
Over all I'm really excited about this movie I stayed away from the whole Harry potter thing for until I finally watched the first movie after the second one came out. Now I'm a fan looking very forward to seeing more of Harry Potter.

As far as the clothes go...I know the first paragraph or so of the OOtP describes Harry and his clothing. My whole thought of the clothing is that while they were at school, in classes they would have more formal clothing with thte robes as part of the uniform. I'll agree it does seem odd seeing the group in more "muggle" clothing but it does fit. They are supposed to be teens like we were or are. It makes them more real and identifiable. did you wear your "school clothes" on the weekend?

As far as the actors go....I really hope they do what ever they can to keep the same three main characters. It seems very doable as long as they keep the movies coming at a regular pace. Hell there were people on BH 90210 who were close to 40 and in highschool and look how many people swallowed that.

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
In defense of the past and present filmmakers who were criticized earlier in this thread, I thought that the TONE of the last half of CoS was absolutely perfect, all other technical criticisms aside.
Second, as for clothing, I think having the children dressed in "Abercrombie" really makes the story more timely. were it not for the clothing of the muggles and the kids as some indication, viewers of the movies who hadn't read the books might assume that the books took place sometime other than the present. I think that if the kids were dressed like the Hobbits in Lord of the Rings all the time, it could cause a disconnect with the story. Rowling is trying to create MODERN myth based on folktales that are not too old, and so we have to have some sense that our modern-day world, the Muggle world, is functioning not too far away. Also, sweaters and pajamas have looked relatively similar for over a hundred years. Look at the Matrix, most of the attire in the desert of the real looks like old baggy sweaters from J. Crew. And we have to remember that Harry and Hermione spent 11 years with perhaps no knowledge of the Magic World. Finally, note that Ron is still wearing his mom's homemade sweaters:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...5E2902,00.html
Third, I think john Williams gave us some very memorable themes, and the music was immediately engrained in my memory the first time i watched Sorcerer's Stone. I thought the theme for Harry's parents is very well done, the theme for Hogwarts, Harry's Wondrous World, the themes for Voldemort, and Fawkes the Phoenix were all excellent. You all have to admit that the themes "fit" the tone and thematic content very well. and since there will be more films and more musicians on the film working with the score, there will be a lot of opportunity for different styles and fine-tuning.
Question: did John william's actually write any new music for CoS or was he simply credited b/c he created the holdover themes from Sorcerer's Stone?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
He wrote new themes, such as the Fawkes theme you praised. but he didn't write or orchestrate the complete score.
He only had two spielbergs and a lucas to do that year. :)
Adam

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
More pictures and bigger versions of the Sun pics at The Z Review.
Also, The Leaky Cauldron has scans of the five pictures from today's USA Today. included is our first glimpse of a dementor.
And rounding up the pics is this one at a relatively high resolution with the trio in their POA uniforms.
My favorite of the new batch:http://www.thezreview.co.uk/news/news2571.htmThe lighting and mood is even better than I had imagined.
EDIT: Changed image to link after the server took down the original image location. Probably due to bandwidth leaching, and I got the hint:).

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Awesome pictures. Definitely at the top of my 2004 list. I think A. Cuaron is going to surprise a lot of people as Harry Potter grows up a bit. The Dementor hand looks better than I imagined.

Thanks for that last pic, Adam.

Very, very exciting,
Chuck

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Adam beat me to posting the new photos. I am also getting more excited about POA, I think it is going to be the best of the three by far. Helps that it was my favorite book of the series too.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
The article says there is a trailer going out in England next week. Hope it gets to the internet.

You can see malfoys bandaged arm in the silly hair pic. Buckbeak is definitly there.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks