What's new

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'm wondering if WB is putting out feelers about doing only one movie instead of two. My guess is that with all the talk about Matrix Reloaded being a failure (it wasn't has made loads of scratch but did leave lots of people of confused), they're getting cold feet and want to be able to cover their butts if Revolutions fails. You know, they could say, "Oh we're not just doing one movie because of the Matrix films not preforming to expectations, see look back here, this has been our plan for a long time."
I think that whether or not we get two films depends on how well Matrix Revolutions and Kill Bill 1&2 preform.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really think people are overblowing the whole height issue-they are all normal height for their age-it's not like one of them is 6' tall and 13 years old while the others are 5'4.
Exactly right. After seeing COS, where Dan and Rupert towered over Emma I had worried that this might happen. But I had forgotten that she is almost two years younger then them: Since the second film wrapped she has shot up like a weed and from the Newsweek pictures it looks like she may even be taller than Dan. Rupert, the oldest of the three, towers over both of them now but that's okay since Ron's supposed to be tall and Harry short anyway.
Can't wait for a trailer for No.3!

Galen_V

Second Unit
This might be a little bit too far off in the distance, but there are on-set rumors that Alfonso Cuarón wants to direct the 5th movie. I would take it with a grain of salt, but you never know.
They are also saying that the cast has signed on through GoF now.
http://www.zanzaro.com/azkaban/aug15.htm

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

This would be excellent but as you say VERY difficult to pull of properly. What a huge job that would be. They'd have to find someone willing to sponsor it so we wouldn't have to deal with commercial interruptions too.

As noted above, maybe WB is just waiting to see how The Matrix and Kill Bill 2-part movies fare. Too bad The Matrix is the movie they're trying to set the standard with. I suppose there is LOTR too although with a slightly different release format.

Galen_V

Second Unit
This would be excellent but as you say VERY difficult to pull of properly. What a huge job that would be. They'd have to find someone willing to sponsor it so we wouldn't have to deal with commercial interruptions too.
Or they could stay in house and do it on HBO.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
HBO would be good. I imagine a network TV show would be too corny with horrible special effects.

I'm not too concerned about GOF as one movie. I think they could pull it off in 3 hours or a little more. 3 and a quarter hour is reasonable. Go through the Quidditch World Cup in the first 50 or so minutes and you'll still have over two hours left. I just don't think two movies would really work. If you release them a month apart, there may be a bit of a problem with the whole idea with movie-goers. If someone goes too early they'll have to pay to watch the first part again or maybe they won't even get any business and everybody'll just wait for an expensive double feature when the second movie comes out. You'll have to release one movie at the beginning of the summer and release the second later in the year taking into account the home video market and still, people would be reluctant to do that.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
They could release the first part in June or July and take the movie up until Christmas break. Release the first part to video toward the end of November, beginning of December and then release the second feature to theaters at Christmas.

I do agree that HBO would be much better than broadcast TV. I've never been impressed with FX in any TV series.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Titles for the Next Two Harry Potter Books? Source: The Sun Wednesday, September 3, 2003

UK tabloid The Sun has some interesting news for Harry Potter fans. It appears that the titles for book six and seven, and subsequently movie six and seven, might have been revealed.

The mystery gripping millions of Harry Potter fans — the titles of J K Rowling’s final two novels — may have been solved.

The Sun has discovered that the sixth and seventh books in the series could be Harry Potter And The Mudblood Revolt and Harry Potter And The Quest Of The Centaur.

Harry’s feisty gal pal Hermione is a Mudblood — an insulting term for someone whose parents are not wizards. The centaur in the final adventure could be Firenze — dark arts teacher at Hogwarts school.

The two titles have been secretly registered as trade marks by a company called Seabottom Productions.

The firm registered itself at Companies House days before the patent application on July 24. Seabottom Productions shares the same London address as lawyers Field, Fisher, Waterhouse.

Intriguingly, they are the lawyers for film company Warner Brothers, who turned the first three Potter stories into movies.

Are the titles just a smokescreen or is this what J.K. Rowling is considering?"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
#1 - This is from "The Sun" ... 'nuff said.

#2 - They sound pretty lame for books in the real series. The final book in the HP series is going to revolve around a Centaur? I'd think it would revolve around Harry.

Perhaps they're titles for branch-offs of the series, not the HP series itself? Sort of how we have lots of Star Wars/Trek novels that have branched off from the main stories/series?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Very doubtful. first, the obvious mistake that Firenze is the Divination teacher, not DatDA is bad. Second, mudblood is such a strongly used word in the books (essentially the wizarding equivalent of the n word), I highly doubt Rowling would use it in a title, given the word any sense of legitamicy.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
So it's a fact now that the kids are coming back for GoF right?

This might have been discussed before (I apologize if it has) but I noticed that the kids will be wearing "regular" clothes in PoA (like jeans). What's the reason for this?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that the kids will be wearing "regular" clothes in PoA (like jeans). What's the reason for this?
Because, outside of their school robes, this is what they wear in the books. The books are set in the ever changing present, so it makes sense they would wear civvies. It's was Columbus who dressed them up in olden clothing in the first two so as to embue them with a "classic" feel or something. Don't worry; they wear their school robes in the movie too. The adult wizards, having far less contact with the mortal world, wear far more extravigant and flamboyant clothing.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
But outside of the school robes, the kids are still in the Wizard world and they don't dress like that. I don't remember reading about them wearing jeans or regular clothing.

Galen_V

Second Unit
Yeah, they do wear "muggle" clothing in the books, and then change into them when they are on the Hogwarts Express.

As for the book titles-I remember before GoF came out people thought it was going to be called Harry Potter and the Quidditch World Cup. I don't know if that name was ever registered, but I remember even AOL was using that name as the title. Furthermore, the "Quest of the Centaur" title seems like it could be the title of a board game or a video game or even a Harry Potter choose your own adventure book-I think they are more of a smokescreen than anything. After all, if the books haven't even been written how is a title supposed to exist?

Edited do say that the "mudblood" one is a dead give away as being a fake, not only for the reasons that are given above, but because neither the main "good" charcters nor the narrator ever uses the word-only the Death Eaters and their offspring do.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
From what most of the books have said, most wizards dress VERY poorly in muggle clothing. This coupled with the fact that students can take classes in Muggle Studies indicates to me that they typically don't wear regular clothing (jeans, t-shirts, etc). It will be interesting to see how it turns out but IMHO, Alphonso got it wrong on this account.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That would make sense.
But, of course, Harry would be reletively used to muggle clothes :)

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
To the best of my memory, there isn't much description of non-wizard clothing being worn by wizards.

Harry is described has having muggle clothing - specifically, hand-me-downs from Dudley. I think it's safe to assume that he's in normal, contemporary clothing while at the Dursley's for the summer.

It is mentioned a couple of times that the kids "change" into their robes on the train, on the way to Hogwarts. However, I don't remember any particular description of what any given student is wearing before they change into their robes. I wouldn't think it's a stretch to assume Hermione also wears fairly familiar clothing, seeing as her parents are muggles. I'd say that Ron and his siblings probably wear similar clothing to what we're familiar with as well ("muggle clothes," as the book would say). Ron's mother knits sweaters ("jumpers") - how far removed can a knit sweater be from what we ("muggles") are familiar with? They may look dorky or dated, but nothing in the books suggest a sweater is anything other than a sweater. Furthermore, there is nothing stating that the Weasley's clothes are influenced by the Muggle world, so familiar casual dress among wizard kids may not be an incorrect generalization.

The last thing I remember on the subject is that the narrator mentions the kids in pyjamas or sleeping attire, and doesn't make any special mention that they are of some more extravagant nature from what the reader would know as "pyjamas."

Seems to me there's either a lot left up to the imagination of the reader; or possibly, it's the intention of the author that the reader assume (based on the brief descriptions of non-Hogwarts clothing) said attire is what is commonplace to the reader.

Either way, there's little evidence (that I recall) to say that the director "has it wrong."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks