What's new

Harmony or Home Theater Master (1 Viewer)

Micah Wells

Agent
I have been looking at the new Harmony H659 and the Univeral Remote URC 200. Both can be had for under $150, so price isn't the big factor. I just need something that will be easy to set up and easy to use. The Harmony seems to be ahead on this front, but have read some bad reviews as far as reliability. It sounds like the URC 200 is built better, but may be more time consuming to set up and since it is not activity based, may still be a struggle for others to use. Any opinions from those that have either are appreciated.

I had also looked at the Home Theater Master MX 500, which you can get at a great price right now, but will it support the newer equipment without having to learn every command? I have a Panny XR50 and Pioneer 563.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I got the MX-500 with the IR/Clone. I think it is great, being able to configure it on the computer, including moving things around, etc., then saving it to the remote.

Micah Wells

Agent
After posting my thread, I checked the forums at remote sentral and came across this option. However, some of the dialogue that was going back and forth about programming and downloading of file seemed a little confusing. Is this omething that will make more sense once I got it in hand? or will be something that I will never quite get right, and my wife will continue to use the manufacturer's remotes. Basically, the MX 500 w/ IRClone is about the same price as the others, is it the answer?

I just saw your signature, I read many of your posts at the other forum already.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I was able to get it do every function I needed for my:

Pioneer SD-582-HD
Bellsouth/Americast Cable Box
Pioneer 656A DVD Player
JVC S3800U VCR

EXCEPT FOR ONE FUNCTION

To program my VCR to record something at a later time, the JVC remote actually has a TIMER button and you have to push that after setting the programming. I tried to learn the TIMER button to one of my LCD Buttons, it says GOOD, like it worked. But when I program another recording, the TIMER button on my MX-500 doesn't do anything. I tried several times, checked the batteries, etc. Well finally, I have lived with this, as I don't timer record too often in my living room, (I do most of that at the bedroom TV).

But except for this, I have no need for any of the other remotes. And the labeling is so handy. For example, on the RPTV, I watch cable and DVD from "Input 1". I can watch analog cable from "Ant. A". And I have a karaoke machine connected to "Input 4". Before, you had to know the label names I put in quotes, above. Now I have them labeled on the MX-500 as ANALG, TVDVD & KARKE, much easier.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
IRClone is not that difficult to use. You can download the software from irclone.com and play around with it if you want to see how it works. The URC-200 is not PC programmable, but it does give you the ability to put a macro on any LCD-labeled button, which the MX-500 lacks. You might also consider an MX-700 if you're considering an MX-500 with IRClone.

Micah Wells

Agent
Thanks Mike. Your website is extremely helpful, and a place that I will frequent once I make my decision. I will check out the software and then make my decision. In your opinion, is the IR Clone software easier, harder, or the same to use as the HTM software that comes with the MX 700. I read on the forum boards at your site that the 700 should only be programmed by installers, and that they don't even provide that software and cable when they sell the product. I have some computer knowledge, but if it requires training and proves difficult then the Harmony or the IR Clone MX 500 might be the answer. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks