What's new

Happy Days: The Complete Series: The Ultimate Edition? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
vnisanian2001 said:
People don't want music replacements. Plain and simple. Hopefully by now, CBS gets that, and actually puts efforts into clearing them.
Your preaching to the choir. Of course we don't want music replacements, but this is CBS so whether we like it or not, its going to happen(If there is a season 5). Personally I'd buy it on day one over nothing at all(which is what we would get if they had to pay for all the music). In a perfect world every classic tv show would have 'free' music clearance. And all the shows being held in limbo for that nagging, irritating, obstructive, bullet-proof, singular, horrible thing would be released as easy as pie.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
I'm not sure why season 5 on dvd is such an impossible dream on dvd. After all the first four seasons had a ton of music replacements. Why would the later season be any more difficult to edit?
I can tell you why. A couple of years ago I transferred over my season 5 episodes from my off-air VHS records. The Valentine's episode - all music. The entire show is a musical. If the music was cut, about 90 seconds would be left. The Suzi Quatro as Leather Tuscadero episodes - at least 10-12 minutes of music in each episode. There is no way CBS can put this season out without either leaving episodes out or charging an exorbitant price.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Mark Y said:
FWIW -- a local station in Chicago was running Mission: Impossible from 16mm in the late 1980s and they would show the "will be right back" bumpers in the middle of a commercial break, like they would have been in the original network run. So in at least that one case, they were there as part of the film print of the episode. At least I assume so.
The commercial bumpers (as seen on ABC) were in the via-satellite syndication package for Battlestar Galactica in the early 1990s, too (I recorded almost the whole series from KWGN at that time on C-band). They even still had the "next week" promos for the two-parters.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
The commercial bumpers (as seen on ABC) were in the via-satellite syndication package for Battlestar Galactica in the early 1990s, too (I recorded almost the whole series from KWGN at that time on C-band). They even still had the "next week" promos for the two-parters.
Now, whether these bumpers would be on the master elements would be hard to say, but they were at least on network and syndication prints (though, perhaps, might have been 'spliced-in' when the prints were being made).

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Off-topic, but related to this show:
I remember on a primetime special in the late 1990s (I forgot what it was, it was a long time ago), someone who worked on the show said that, originally, the show was going to be named "Cool". Does anyone know the name of the special, and who it was who said that?

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
I remember that.
The show was "Behind the Laughs" (1998), and it was Garry Marshall who said that.
He said that the theme song might have been "Sunday, Monday, cool, cool, cool.", but he noticed that that wouldn't work, so they changed it to "Happy Days."
I saw this online several years ago.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
I think CBS Home Entertainment can release this set, since Happy Days is coming back this year (in a Fan Favorites DVD, and "Shotgun Wedding" will be included with Laverne and Shirley: Season 5, and Tom Bosley's Father Dowling Mysteries was released this week.)
Last September, someone at CBS/Paramount said that they will do all they can about getting the original music back in, since they now know how important it was to the show.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
I can tell you why. A couple of years ago I transferred over my season 5 episodes from my off-air VHS records. The Valentine's episode - all music. The entire show is a musical. If the music was cut, about 90 seconds would be left. The Suzi Quatro as Leather Tuscadero episodes - at least 10-12 minutes of music in each episode. There is no way CBS can put this season out without either leaving episodes out or charging an exorbitant price.
Oh man, thanks for bringing up Suzie Quatro.
I completely forgot about her for about 30 years.
What a dish she was.
360b3dd3_1_suzi_quatro_sqa0011.jpeg

If she were cool at all she wouldn't hold out for big earnings on her music numbers. She should be thrilled to have her seasons of Happy Days released on dvd. I know many people would love to see her again....myself being one of them.
Between her and the gal that played Jenny Piccilo, I really want to see the later seasons of happy days. My first two tv crushes.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Neil Brock said:
I know they most likely won't, but could they do this:
Replace all the songs they sing with phony sound-a-like songs that they wrote for the DVD version of the episode?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
If she were cool at all she wouldn't hold out for big earnings on her music numbers. She should be thrilled to have her seasons of Happy Days released on dvd. I know many people would love to see her again....myself being one of them.
Between her and the gal that played Jenny Piccilo, I really want to see the later seasons of happy days. My first two tv crushes.
She didn't write nor does she own the publishing on the songs that she sang on the show so it has absolutely zero to do with her.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
She didn't write nor does she own the publishing on the songs that she sang on the show so it has absolutely zero to do with her.
Unfortunate.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Since Paramount is one of the Forum's sponsors, can one of the moderators get this idea to them, so they can release it?

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
In December, I wrote Paramount Home Entertainment about this idea, and yesterday, Brian Cuasito (a home entertainment marketer from Paramount) wrote, "Two thumbs up man".
So Paramount does want to release it.
Here is an updated version of my letter:
To CBS Home Entertainment:
Can you release a Complete Series box set of "Happy Days" (1974-1984)?
All 255 episodes should be digitally remastered (from the original film elements) in high definition (1080p), and they should be unedited.
The original Paramount Television logos should be included at the end of the episodes.
All the 1950s/1960s music that was used in the series should be cleared, so the episodes can be unaltered.
“Rock Around the Clock” should be restored to the opening credits for Season 2.
Garry Marshall wants all the original music to be included in the episodes.
The episodes that originally aired after "Passages" (the final episode) should be included before it in the DVD set.
Bonus features, new and old, should be included in the set, including TV spots (from ABC, syndication, Nick at Nite, TV Land, and WGN), ABC bumpers, commercials with the cast, a PSA with the cast about leukemia, mistakes in the episodes, episode introductions from the cast, unreleased bloopers, cast interviews, audio/text commentaries, photo galleries, documentaries (including TVography: Happy Days (2001), Entertainment Tonight in TV Land: Secrets of Happy Days (1999), Biography: Happy Days (2003), Henry Winkler Meets William Shakespeare (1977), the Biographies of Henry Winkler (2000) and Ron Howard (1999/2008), and all-new documentaries), text biographies of the cast, reunion specials (1992/2005), lists of music and guest stars in the episodes, production notes (noting inside jokes, pop culture references, and behind-the-scenes information), both versions of the pilot (New Family in Town (1971), and Love and the Happy Days (1972)), episodes of Laverne and Shirley (and the Mork and Mindy pilot) with characters from Happy Days, Henry Winkler's home movies from the series, scripts from the series in .PDF format, memorabilia from the series, and other things should be included.
Easter Eggs (hidden bonus features, appearing as hidden jukeboxes) should be included in the set.
Here are some extra bonus features for this set:
Sitcom: The Adventures of Garry Marshall (1979)
The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang (animated series, 1980-1981, 24 episodes)
Joanie Loves Chachi (1982-1983, 17 episodes)
Pyramid: Marion Ross and Erin Moran (February 2004)
TV Land Moguls: The 1970s: Part II (2004, including Garry Marshall and Happy Days)
Moving Image Salutes Ron Howard (2006)
Tom Bosley on Match Game (1975)
The Mike Douglas Show with Ron Howard, Henry Winkler, Don Most, and Anson Williams (September 1974)
The Mike Douglas Show with Henry Winkler (July 1975)
Boy Meets World: I Was A Teenage Spy (1996)
Strong Kids, Safe Kids (1984)
Weezer: Buddy Holly (1994)
Behind the Laughs (1998)
An extensive clip of Tom Bosley as "Fiorello" should be included.
Tributes to Tom Bosley from several news shows should be included.
Animated (interactive) menus with the theme song should be included.
Scene selection menus, chapter stops, and a "Play All" option should be included with all the episodes.
English subtitles should be included with the episodes and special features.
The alternate introductions for "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", one with Arnold (Pat Morita), and the other with Al (Al Molinaro), should be included.
Both endings for "Shotgun Wedding: Part 1" should be included.
The scene with "The Andy Griffith Show" should be included in the "My Favorite Orkan" episode.
Both endings for the "My Favorite Orkan" episode should be included.
Both endings for the "Love and Marriage" episode should be included.
A collector's book should be included with the set.
Henry Winkler and Paul Brownstein (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Get Smart, The Twilight Zone) should be the producers of the set.

S

silverking

Suzi Quatro has been living here in the UK for years. I think she has a radio show playing oldies & often appears on various TV shows.
Was in an episode of Midsomer Murders as a comebacking rock star who gets murdered !

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Here is a new version of my letter:
To CBS Home Entertainment:
Can you release a Complete Series DVD box set of "Happy Days" (1974-1984)?
There are several fans who want to see a Complete Series DVD box set of Happy Days this year.
All 255 episodes should be digitally remastered (from the original film elements) in high definition (1080p), and they should be unedited.
The original Paramount Television logos should be included at the end of the episodes.
All the 1950s/1960s music that was used in the series should be cleared, so the episodes can be unaltered.
“Rock Around the Clock” should be restored to the opening credits for Season 2.
Garry Marshall wants all the original music to be included in the episodes.
The episodes that originally aired after "Passages" (the final episode) should be included before it in the DVD set.
Bonus features, new and old, should be included in the set, including TV spots (from ABC, syndication, Nick at Nite, TV Land, WGN, Me-TV, and INSP), ABC bumpers, commercials with the cast, a PSA with the cast about leukemia, mistakes in the episodes, episode introductions from Garry Marshall and the cast, unreleased bloopers, cast interviews (including lengthy excerpts from Tom Bosley, Ron Howard, Henry Winkler, Marion Ross, Pat Morita, and Garry Marshall's interviews with the Archive of American Television), audio/text commentaries, photo galleries, documentaries (including TVography: Happy Days (2001), Entertainment Tonight in TV Land: Secrets of Happy Days (1999), Biography: Happy Days (2003), Henry Winkler Meets William Shakespeare (1977), the Biographies of Henry Winkler (2000) and Ron Howard (1999/2008), and all-new documentaries), text biographies of the cast, reunion specials (1992/2005), lists of music and guest stars in the episodes, production notes (noting inside jokes, pop culture references, and behind-the-scenes information), both versions of the pilot (New Family in Town (1971), and Love and the Happy Days (1972)), episodes of Laverne and Shirley (and the Mork and Mindy pilot) with characters from Happy Days, Henry Winkler's home movies from the series, scripts from the series in .PDF format, memorabilia from the series, and other things should be included.
Easter Eggs (hidden bonus features, appearing as hidden mini-jukeboxes) should be included in the set.
Here are some extra bonus features for this set:
Sitcom: The Adventures of Garry Marshall (1979)
The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang (animated series, 1980-1981, 24 episodes)
Joanie Loves Chachi (1982-1983, 17 episodes)
Pyramid: Marion Ross and Erin Moran (February 2004)
TV Land Moguls: The 1970s: Part II (2004, including Garry Marshall and Happy Days)
Moving Image Salutes Ron Howard (2006)
Tom Bosley on Match Game (1975)
The Mike Douglas Show with Ron Howard, Henry Winkler, Don Most, and Anson Williams (September 1974)
The Merv Griffin Show with Henry Winkler (July 1975)
Boy Meets World: I Was A Teenage Spy (1996)
Strong Kids, Safe Kids (1984)
Weezer: Buddy Holly (1994)
Behind the Laughs (1998)
Henry Winkler and Ron Howard on Sesame Street
Excerpt from The 70s: The Decade That Changed Television (2000)
An extensive clip of Tom Bosley as "Fiorello" should be included.
Tributes to Tom Bosley from several news shows should be included.
Animated (interactive) menus with the theme song should be included.
Scene selection menus, chapter stops, and a "Play All" option should be included with all the episodes.
English subtitles should be included with the episodes and special features.
The alternate introductions for "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas", one with Arnold (Pat Morita), and the other with Al (Al Molinaro), should be included.
Both endings for "Shotgun Wedding: Part 1" should be included.
The scene with "The Andy Griffith Show" should be included in the "My Favorite Orkan" episode.
Both endings for the "My Favorite Orkan" episode should be included.
Both endings for the "Love and Marriage" episode should be included.
A collector's book should be included with the set.
Henry Winkler and Paul Brownstein (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Get Smart, The Twilight Zone) should be the producers of the set.
Sincerely,
Ian Hayden
A documentary, with clips, on Tom Bosley's career should be included.
Also, this St. Joseph's Aspirin commercial with a clip of Happy Days should be included with "Potsie Quits School":

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So, you are going to tell them that "several fans" are interested in a complete series set as you have outlined? Based on your letter, they should feel that they'll have at least 8 or 9 guaranteed sales of the set. That should be enough for them to go forward.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I'd be for this set. I'd like for Laverne and Shirley and the Fonz in the Army to be included as well or a super set with all of this plus that and all of Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy included as well as the Mork and Mindy cartoon, and the other spinoff series Out of the Blue and Blanksky's Beauties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks