What's new

Halloween II (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this film is going to be reissued soon? I'm just asking because the price has dropped significantly (Walgreen's even had it for $9.99) and I went to Best Buy this weekend and they said they no longer carry it. I don't want to purchase it somewhere, only to find that it will be reissued in the next few months....thanks!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I would doubt it. This does not seem like it would be a high priority title for upgrade after it has already been released twice. It's too bad because there is some great SE potential for Halloween II.

About Best Buy no longer carrying it, I have noticed that Best Buy and Circuit City (At least the ones near me) have scaled back their horror sections considerably. Maybe horror titles don't sell as well as other genres, so maybe that is the reason. They did say "no longer carrying it" and not "out of print" right?

walter o

Supporting Actor
yeah, it would be nice if they include the alternate ending that used to be in the TV cut.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
How about a second disc that has the entire TV cut (it is pretty different) Of course, a lot of work would have to be done on it to make it presentable (it is pretty sloppy as well)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yeah, but which version was it for $9.99. Is it from Good Times Home Video or Universal? If it's from Good Times, than you got screwed.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
It's the Universal version with the white cover and red spine.....I'm not that stupid.....LOL.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

The Good Times version isn't that bad. It's non-anamorphic, but the transfer is really good. I bought it for 5 bucks about 3 years ago at Best Buy. Great deal, IMO.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I picked up the Goodtimes Halloween II and Halloween III discs several years ago for five bucks a pop, and I'm satisfied enough with them not to upgrade.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I bought the original GoodTimes DVD (in the snapper no less) of Halloween II for $10 from Wal-Mart almost five years ago. I still own it, and the non-anamorphic transfer on the DVD is pretty good as Matt said.

I was going to double-dip to the Universal one prior to it's release, but then I found out it was going to be movie-only. So I backed out.

All I ask for is if Universal decides to re-release it (which I guess will not happen for ages) is for the twenty (or so) minutes of footage that was trimmed from the film (which most of was used for the network/syndicated television version of the film). I don't need a commentary or retrospective documentary, I'd just like the deleted scenes.

Same goes for Dimension's Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (but I'd like a new transfer on that).

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Which is why I thought if he got that version for $10 he got screwed.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I waited for the Universal price reduction. I probably wouldn't have paid much more than this for Halloween II. But, as it is, I'm happy with my purchase. I know that Best Buy had it for $11.99 before they took it off the shelves.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I might pick it up after the price reduction Universal put on it, but from what I've heard, the anamorphic transfer is not leaps and bounds better than the Goodtimes transfer. The Goodtimes transfer was ported from the widescreen LD release from the mid-90s, and at that time, Universal was making some great LD releases.

I still have some hope that maybe Dimension will release another Halloween sequel and a few of the Halloween sequels will get special editions. Either from Universal, Anchor Bay, and/or Dimension.

We currently have fantastic versions of:
- Halloween (the original Anchor Bay two-disc limited edition or the two-disc Divimax edition).
- Halloween 4 (re-released single disc edition in keepcase or tin).
- Halloween 5 (single disc edition in keepcase or tin).
- Halloween: Resurrection (special edition from Dimension).

I would love for a special edition of Halloween II with the deleted scenes as a special feature, or a SE of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers with both the theatrical and producer's cut in anamorphic widescreen, or a SE of Halloween: H20 with an anamorphic transfer.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just watched the Universal DVD a few nights ago and the transfer wasn't as good as I remembered. It was "good" but there are still many problems including a lot of dirt in the night scenes. Colors were pretty good throughout and print damage was rather small. A few speckles here and there but nothing major. For $10 it's worth it if you enjoy the film.

H3 from Universal actually looked better.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I actually wouldn't mind a Rick Rosenthal commentary. The one he did on the Buffy episode "Normal Again" was pretty decent. I'd like to hear his comments on Halloween 2 (and Resurrection for that matter).

I too would love the Halloween 6 Producer's Cut to get a release. It's the only bootleg I've ever bought.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I say why not push for the entire television version on a second disc. The Television version is quite a different film than the theatrical version (It is also rumored that it is closer to Rick Rosenthal's vision than the thearical cut) The deleted scenes would be good but there is a lot more in the TV version than straight deleted scenes. The TV version is filled with quick insert shots, alternate takes, alternate music cues etc. If anyone here has not seen it, AMC might be running it again soon if they plan on doing Monstervision this year closer to Halloween.

The problem is that, the Television would be very sloppy for presentation on DVD. It would be great to get a widescreen version of it with elements that had to be cut for Television restored, but I can imagine that would be quite a difficut task. They would probably have to find all the original negatives for the deleted material and alternate footage etc. Or they could just slap what they have now on a disc. Like I said, it would be very sloppy, but not bad if you look at it as simply an extra feature. I'd also like a Commentary and whatever promotional material exists. If possible a new featurette would be cool as well if they could get enough people to participate in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks