What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Halloween II makes its 4K UHD debut courtesy of Shout! Factory, with much improved video and audio, plus most of the special features from the studio’s 15-disc Complete Collector’s Edition.

Halloween II (1981)

Released: 30 Oct 1981
Rated: R
Runtime: 92 min

Director: Rick Rosenthal
Genre: Horror

Cast: Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasence, Charles Cyphers
Writer(s): John Carpenter, Debra Hill

Plot: While Sheriff Brackett and Dr. Loomis hunt for Michael Myers, a traumatized Laurie is rushed to hospital, and the serial killer is not far behind her.

IMDB rating: 6.5
MetaScore: 40

Disc Information

Studio: Universal
Distributed By: Shout! Factory
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Correction: Its a 2.0 Surround track on Halloween II. For whatever reason II got mixed in Dolby and III was stuck with mono prints only.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone mentioned the titles and credits on the 4K release. For one every prior release of HII I’ve seen has the “October 31st 1978” title card with a slightly orange tint to it. On this new release it’s white. The opening credits fade in orange, then go to bright yellow, then fade out to orange again. And the end credits are yellow instead of orange.

I went back to the previous blu ray release of HII and it was the same as I remembered. Orange tint on the October 31st, 1978 card and just plain orange on the opening and closing credits.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone mentioned the titles and credits on the 4K release. For one every prior release of HII I’ve seen has the “October 31st 1978” title card with a slightly orange tint to it. On this new release it’s white. The opening credits fade in orange, then go to bright yellow, then fade out to orange again. And the end credits are yellow instead of orange.

I went back to the previous blu ray release of HII and it was the same as I remembered. Orange tint on the October 31st, 1978 card and just plain orange on the opening and closing credits.
I don't think I ever registered the "Haddonfield, Illinois" or "October 31, 1978" cards in HII as having an orange tint. They always looked a little less white or more 'muddy' than the location/date titles in the original movie but on this release, I did notice that it was more white and in line with the original but I chalked that up to them going back to the negative for this transfer so this transfer looked better. If they made sure that the font was the same as the original and do their best to make both movies completely connect, I think the titles were always white and any difference was the fault of previous transfers.

My memory of the end credits is informed by the VHS (which is no measure of reference) where they were yellow... at least on my childhood family TV. I thought most of the DVDs and all the Blu-rays were boosted to look more orange but I certainly don't say that with any authority.

In short, I think the location and dates are the correct white and I agree that the end credits are more yellow than in most other transfers.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I ever registered the "Haddonfield, Illinois" or "October 31, 1978" cards in HII as having an orange tint. They always looked a little less white or more 'muddy' than the location/date titles in the original movie but on this release, I did notice that it was more white and in line with the original but I chalked that up to them going back to the negative for this transfer so this transfer looked better. If they made sure that the font was the same as the original and do their best to make both movies completely connect, I think the titles were always white and any difference was the fault of previous transfers.

My memory of the end credits is informed by the VHS (which is no measure of reference) where they were yellow... at least on my childhood family TV. I thought most of the DVDs and all the Blu-rays were boosted to look more orange but I certainly don't say that with any authority.

In short, I think the location and dates are the correct white and I agree that the end credits are more yellow than in most other transfers.

I do remember on old P&S VHS transfers the titles were more yellow, but every Widescreen version of the movie (including Widescreen VHS) were orange like the original. If you have the previous SF Blu Ray (not the blu ray included in the 4K set) its easy to tell the difference

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I do remember on old P&S VHS transfers the titles were more yellow, but every Widescreen version of the movie (including Widescreen VHS) were orange like the original. If you have the previous SF Blu Ray (not the blu ray included in the 4K set) its easy to tell the difference
Yeah, absolutely the end credits in the previous Blu-rays were orange (I still have the two DVDs too but it's been forever since I looked at them so I don't remember how the end credits looked) but I don't think this new disc has literally changed the end credits from orange to yellow. I think the color is just toned down so it's not as orange and it comes off as more yellow. It's basically the same thing as the ever changing colors on the original Halloween or the Star Wars OT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks