What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory's work on this five-disc release is stellar from the original Halloween through Halloween V, with every image harvest returning to the OCNs for a 4k scan.

They all appear superlative, reproducing the appearance of a 35mm print, especially in projection.

The second installment in the series, begins a the first ended, and it's a quality sequel, now with the addition of a Dolby Atmos mix. My personal feelings about the series have this film and Part III 180 degree apart.

A myriad of extras rounds out the package, which should be a must-own for any Halloween fan with a sense of honor and propriety.

Your support of Shout/Scream Factory product will keep these films coming.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Recommended

RAH

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
2018's "sequel" is just another timeline to this series franchise.
It’s funny, 2018’s film ignores all the sequels, following up on JUST the original. So REALLY it should be called “Halloween II”, but maybe they didn’t want to do that, considering there were already two “Halloween II”s. The 1981 sequel and the 2009 sequel to Rob Zombie’s remake. Having THREE movies in the Halloween franchise with the same title would be CRAZY! 🤪

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
It’s funny, 2018’s film ignores all the sequels, following up on JUST the original. So REALLY it should be called “Halloween II”, but maybe they didn’t want to do that, considering there were already two “Halloween II”s. The 1981 sequel and the 2009 sequel to Rob Zombie’s remake. Having THREE movies in the Halloween franchise with the same title would be CRAZY! 🤪

This franchise has already gone off the rails, so it would be fitting to have 3 films all with the same title.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
This franchise has already gone off the rails, so it would be fitting to have 3 films all with the same title.
Has the Pitch Meeting guy addressed this tomfoolery? It’s worse than the Rambo movie’s titles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love this film almost as much as the first.
I think what makes the movie is how connected it is to the first one. The cast, the story, the locations, the music, the way it's shot all make it feel 100% like a continuation of the original. I really enjoy the 2018 sequel too but since there's a 40 year gap between the two movies, the new ones seem more like a trilogy than a quartet to me.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I think what makes the movie is how connected it is to the first one. The cast, the story, the locations, the music, the way it's shot all make it feel 100% like a continuation of the original. I really enjoy the 2018 sequel too but since there's a 40 year gap between the two movies, the new ones seem more like a trilogy than a quartet to me.

The kill count in this film ads on to make Michael's massacre where as 2018 leaves it as just 3 murders and last time I looked 3 murders isn't a massacre.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Looks like the Halloween Shout Factory 4K release has sold well. Went to Amazon and it says back in stock soon! Am planning on adding all 5 Shout Factory releases to my 4K library!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The 2018 film didn’t match the creepy factor of the 81 version. I don’t know if it’s just me and my “golden age” of horror. but it seems a lot of modern horror just forget how to do creepy atmosphere. I said in the HIII AFWA thread that despite the flaws of that film, it was the last creepy entry of the franchise (though I do think the opening titles of H4 were brilliant and captured the season/atmosphere better than any of the other films)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think what makes the movie is how connected it is to the first one. The cast, the story, the locations, the music, the way it's shot all make it feel 100% like a continuation of the original.
I always thought that was pretty unusual for a sequel, to pick up immediately from the conclusion of the first film as if together they're just one long film. It's one of the things I also enjoy about it. That also probably contributed to the dismay of the general audience over the completely unrelated Season of the Witch that followed.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I always thought that was pretty unusual for a sequel, to pick up immediately from the conclusion of the first film as if together they're just one long film. It's one of the things I also enjoy about it. That also probably contributed to the dismay of the general audience over the completely unrelated Season of the Witch that followed.

Yes, an innovative idea at the time, that helped it, but also hurt it in some ways, namely that JLC was essentially sidelined for most of the movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The kill count in this film ads on to make Michael's massacre where as 2018 leaves it as just 3 murders and last time I looked 3 murders isn't a massacre.
Michael murders at least 13 people in the 2018 film.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Michael murders at least 13 people in the 2018 film.

Those kills are 40 years later after his original killing spree in 1978. 2018 ignores this film and Michael is captured shortly after Loomis shoots him off the balcony of Tommy Doyle's house.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The 2018 film didn’t match the creepy factor of the 81 version. I don’t know if it’s just me and my “golden age” of horror. but it seems a lot of modern horror just forget how to do creepy atmosphere.
I'd agree with that but I think that has more to do with what I find creepy was mostly shaped by movies of the 70's and 80's than anything else. 20 or 30 years from now, the kids of today will be saying that new movies don't know how to be scary like the movies of the 2010's and 2020's.

I said in the HIII AFWA thread that despite the flaws of that film, it was the last creepy entry of the franchise (though I do think the opening titles of H4 were brilliant and captured the season/atmosphere better than any of the other films)
I could be wrong but I think the Halloween 4 opening credits were made to pad the run time a little bit since not counting the opening and end credits, the movie is under 85 minutes. Whatever the reason, it does set a nice spooky mood.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Those kills are 40 years later after his original killing spree in 1978. 2018 ignores this film and Michael is captured shortly after Loomis shoots him off the balcony of Tommy Doyle's house.
I’m aware of that. I was responding to your statement that I misinterpreted which seemingly implied Michael only kills 3 people in the 2018 film.

By the way Michael kills 5 people in the original Halloween.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks