What's new

Grounding a dish 500 (1 Viewer)

Jim_H

Auditioning
I'm installing my dish 6000 w/ 2 dishes. What is the best way to ground the system? The install kit comes with 15' of ground cable but that isn't long enough.
My understanding is that it should be a continuous piece of ground wire back to a known good ground. What does that exactly mean?
Do I need to run it all the way to the panel?
thanks
Jim

Paul W

Second Unit
Are you in a house or apartment?
I guess it depends on how your electrical service enters your house and how you mount your dish.
Here's how I did it:
The cable guy installed a grounding block near the electrical service when my house was built. The dish kit I bought came with another grounding block that could accommodate two cables (for two dishes). I simply replaced the grounding block intalled by the cable company.
I had to buy 50' of single strand 8 gauge wire (green sheath) and ran it from both dishes to the grounding block. Note, it is impossible to insert the tap screw with three 8 gauge ground wires inserted into the hole. You may want to get (I have no idea what this is called, but it is a tube with two set screws for splicing wires end-to-end) and insert all of your 8 gauge wires in one end (1 or 2 from the dish and the one that goes to the grounding block located near your electical service) and maybe a 4 gauge wire from the other end to the grounding block where your RG6 cables are installed.
If you run your cable through the roof into the attic, then I think it is sufficient to tie into the ground wire for any of the light fixtures in the attic. Check with an electrician on this.
I hope this helps.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs to Hellen Keller.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
All the conduit in my house is grounded. So I attached the ground wire to the conduit. I spoke with a couple of electricians in the area and that is what they suggested. It was easy to do.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

The local hardward store near me suggested just grounding the wire to the water pipes in the basement. The water pipes are already grounded, so this was easy to do as the pipe was right next to where the the rg6 cables came into the house.

Geoff_RT

Auditioning
If you are like me, and didn't have easy access to an outside grounding post, just get yourself an 8 foot copper grounding rod, a sledgehammer, and pound one in yourself. They sell those at Home Depot too - I got mine for about $20.
Make sure the actual dish mount AND the cable are both grounded! I've even seen some "professional" installations that did one or the other. Since you're sticking a metal dish to your roof and attaching a long run of copper wire to it that runs right into your house, you want to be on the safe side.
------------------
Geoff
Home Theater pics & more at:
Link Removed
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks