What's new

Blu-ray Review Grosse Pointe Blank Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

High school reunions are often trying experiences under the best of circumstances, and when a professional hit man decides to reconnect with acquaintances long gone on his tenth year reunion, there’s cause for much consternation and more than a little gunplay in George Armitage’s Grosse Pointe Blank. This droll black comedy has a smashing first half but is a bit of a letdown in the second; nevertheless, a first-rate cast does what it can to make the proceedings merry despite lots of large potholes in the plotting.

Grosse Pointe Blank (Blu-ray)
Directed by George Armitage

Studio: Hollywood
Year: 1997
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 107 minutes
Rating: R
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 English; Dolby Digital 2.0 French, Spanish
Subtitles:  SDH, French, Spanish

Region: A-B-C
MSRP: $ 20.00

Release Date: August 7, 2012

Review Date: August 3, 2012

The Film

3.5/5

Professional assassin Martin Blank (John Cusack) is having something of a career crisis five years into his freelance career, but his terrified therapist Dr. Oatman (Alan Arkin) really isn’t interested in helping him. When Martin reveals that his ten year high school reunion is coming up, the good doctor suggests maybe returning to the city of his youth (Detroit) might put his life into perspective. And as it so happens, he’s also been assigned a job in Detroit for that same weekend, so he returns to the city only to find his homestead having been bulldozed for a convenience store, his mother (Barbara Harris) retreating into the safety of Alzheimer’s, and his old sweetheart Debi Newberry (Minnie Driver) still nursing a tremendous grudge for being stood up by him on prom night. Martin is also quick to figure out that he’s being trailed by a number of assassins including his old mentor Grocer (Dan Aykroyd), two NSA agents (Hank Azaria, K. Todd Freeman), and ruthless killer Felix La PuBelle (Benny Urquidez). It’s going to be a busy weekend for Martin to work out all of these conflicts and live to talk about it.

Tom Jankiewicz, D.V. DeVincentis, Steve Pink, and John Cusack himself have written a picture perfect role for the laconic actor, and the movie’s first hour is a hilarious mixture of droll matter-of-fact attention to his job (abetted by helpful secretary/office manager Marcella (Joan Cusack) and his neurotic self involvement about his sudden lack of focus. Early scenes back home are also filled with fun as Driver’s Debi Newberry, still attracted to the caddish Martin, makes him sweat for her forgiveness as they resume their attraction. But the reunion itself isn’t nearly as much fun as it could have been, mainly due to a lack of development of the motley assortment of high school faces Martin contends with. Many of them are played by excellent actors – Jeremy Piven and Michael Cudlitz to name two of the more notable personalities – but these scenes of strain and awkwardness play flatly and extend the movie’s running time for no good purpose. The climactic shootout between all of the town full of assassins was likely a gas in its day, but Mr. & Mrs. Smith has pretty much sewn up the genre of hit men attacking hit men, and the sequence now plays rather anticlimactically. And where are the Detroit police during all of this mayhem? It may be a black comedy, but the final few scenes certainly don’t feel like anything of this earth.

John Cusack has written a dream role for himself, and he’s aces throughout. Minnie Driver’s American accent is expertly delivered, and she earns our rooting interest after the facts of her disastrous prom night are made clear. As she always manages to do, Joan Cusack makes her every scene something one anticipates greatly as she deftly navigates the gal Friday/surrogate mother role in Martin’s life. Alan Arkin, another notorious scene stealer, etches another fun supporting performance as the tentative shrink (a role that might have been expanded into even more effectiveness). Jeremy Piven, all brash bravado hiding a core of insecurity, does much with an underwritten part while Dan Aykroyd overacts (probably a bit too much) to counterbalance John Cusack’s usual underplaying. Hank Azaria and K. Todd Freeman, both wildly capable comic actors, aren’t given nearly enough of interest as the government agents. Barbara Harris is almost unrecognizable as the doddering mother in her one scene role.

Video Quality

4.5/5

The film’s theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is delivered faithfully in a 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. This is a superb transfer featuring outstanding sharpness throughout and color saturation levels that are rich but always under control. Flesh tones are also consistently appealing and true to life. Black levels are likewise very good. The film has been divided into 17 chapters.

Audio Quality

4.5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound mix makes the most of the gunfire and mayhem built into the story with a very active soundfield which exploits all of the available channels throughout the presentation. Ambient sounds such as sirens and helicopters appear in the various fronts and rears, and the background score of dozens of pop tunes threads its way throughout the soundstage with aplomb. The LFE channel gets a nice workout, too, while dialogue is mostly centered though with some occasional directionality which is most welcome.

Special Features

1/5

The film’s theatrical trailer is presented in 480i and runs for 2 ¼ minutes.

The disc offers 1080p promo trailers for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Frankenweenie, and The Avengers.

In Conclusion

3.5/5 (not an average)

Grosse Pointe Blank isn’t as good as it might have been with a more creative second half and richer character development, but the film is nevertheless entertaining and worth seeing more than once. The Blu-ray offers superb picture and sound for an enjoyable moviegoing experience at home.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
A guilty pleasure of mine. Glad that it seems to have gotten a pretty good A/V transfer. At what I'm going to guess is a selling price of under $15, I'm going to be all over this one. :D

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
A not-at-all guilty pleasure here.. Grosse Pointe Blank is one of my favorite comedies. Glad to have it in Blu!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've had this title on pre-order for quite awhile. Another non-anamorphic SD-DVD title can now be replaced.
"Oh, good for you. It's... a growth industry"

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My absolute favorite John Cusack vehicle, and I'm SO relieved to hear that they did the audio and video right. This is a release-day purchase for me.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Yeah, nothing guilty about this one at all. Terrific movie (and a must-watch before attending one's own high school reunion). "You can never go home again, Oatman. But I guess you can shop there."
Glad we finally get an anamorphic transfer on disc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I'll probably do the Best Buy trade and save deal to upgrade from the non-anamorphic DVD. I'm hoping other Miramax titles like "Beautiful Girls" are not too far off.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee /t/322790/grosse-pointe-blank-blu-ray-review#post_3958123
I think I'll probably do the Best Buy trade and save deal to upgrade from the non-anamorphic DVD.

I'll probably do the same with my old DVD at BB. Seems silly not to take advantage of the trade-in offer, and you couldn't get 50 cents for the thing anywhere else.

"Hey, if you're lookin' for a father figure I'll give you a spankin'!"

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee /t/322790/grosse-pointe-blank-blu-ray-review#post_3958123
I think I'll probably do the Best Buy trade and save deal to upgrade from the non-anamorphic DVD. I'm hoping other Miramax titles like "Beautiful Girls" are not too far off.

Ditto and ditto. Beautiful Girls really needs a decent release. And while they're at it, I'd love to see all the films Woody Allen did for Miramax in the 90s, almost all of which were non-anamorphic DVDs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was looking forward to picking this up, but there seems to be some bit of talk that this is coming from an old transfer w/ a fair amount of DNR/EE. Given the old DVD was non-16x9 (and this will be quite cheap via BB's U&S deal), I'll probably still get it. Hopefully, it will look as good on my DLP RPTV as it did for Matt's review.

Cheers!

_Man_

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Looks like that bit of talk was correct Man. I picked up this and High Fidelity at Best Buy yesterday and watched Grosse Pointe Blank last night. While the movie was great as usual, I was very disappointed with the transfer. Is it the best that this film has ever looked on home video? Yes, but that's not saying much. On my calibrated 55" Panasonic ST50 plasma I thought that detail was mostly muddy and in many scenes the image was noisy and "digital" looking. Better than the old non-anamorphic DVD to be sure, but don't expect a revelation of any kind here. Matt must have received a different disc than I did, because I saw no "outstanding sharpness" and blacks levels were crushed more often than not. Boo on you Disney.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Sad to hear that Doug... I´ve read other reviews than here and they support your unfortunate experience. But still, brilliant movie, a must buy.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's a good looking, if not great, budget Disney release. I'd probably go 3.5/5.

That being said, it's affordable and easily trumps the DVD by about 100x in quality.

Considering it took 14 years to get a new release, as far as I'm concerned I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/322790/grosse-pointe-blank-blu-ray-review#post_3960122
It's a good looking, if not great, budget Disney release. I'd probably go 3.5/5.

That being said, it's affordable and easily trumps the DVD by about 100x in quality.

Considering it took 14 years to get a new release, as far as I'm concerned I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'd give it 2.5 out of 5 and wouldn't call it good looking. Acceptably bad is more like it. You make some valid points but they don't excuse the mediocre (at best) quality of this release. Let's just call a spade a spade.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /t/322790/grosse-pointe-blank-blu-ray-review#post_3960122

After viewing this BRD today, I have to side with Brandon on it being more like a 3.5 grade on video.

Crawdaddy

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm starting to calm down ;)
I was afraid I'd have to return my still-shrink-wrapped BD to Best Buy but it does look like an acceptable, if not pristine, transfer.
While I always want the best quality transfer, I do have to temper my expectations between what is acceptable and what is ideal, especially given the popularity of the film and its selling strength. Let's not forget that studios are here to make money and while I'd love for every film I love to get the Criterion treatment, I know enough of the business to understand that studios can't give that kind of treatment to titles that will only move a few thousand units at sub-$15 prices.
I will watch this BD this weekend and hold my breath, hoping not to be disappointed.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford /t/322790/grosse-pointe-blank-blu-ray-review#post_3960328
After viewing this BRD today, I have to side with Brandon on it being more like a 3.5 grade on video.

There are no sides really, just customers with different expectations, different thresholds concerning what constitutes acceptable quality, and different opinions. I'm sure that fans of this film, myself included, are going to be more critical of the presentation than people who merely like it. Grosse Pointe Blank was given the short shrift on it's DVD release and IMO it's now received the same treatment on Blu-ray. It could be better than acceptable but it's not, and that certainly disappoints me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks