What's new

"Green Lantern" movie news... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
After thinking about the 20 minutes or so I think needed to be added to the movie to really connect everything together (and they could drop at least 10 minutes that was on screen) to make a top tier story, I wonder if the issue was budget.

1. The training, Sinestro and most of the corp having low expectations of Hal should have been at least 5 minutes longer. He literally had 5 minutes training and then quit? It should have been done to indicate he was gone at least 3 to 4 weeks and more interaction between Hal and the other GLs showing he was poorly regarded but he had some human trait that gave him an advantage over the other GLs if he could just tap into it. Otherwise it is like Luke defeating the Emperor in ESB after the few weeks with Yoda on Dagoba. Plus when you quit the police department you don't get to keep your badge and gun.
2. Parallax destroying the two other worlds and killing 3 other GLs needed to be shown. Movie Rule 1: It it doesn't happen on screen, it didn't happen. Needed 3-4 minutes to actually show it instead of telling.
3. The big fight between the 7 GLs and Parallax the first time. Needed another minute.
4. More time needed to be spent showing that Sinestro became disillusioned with the Guardians and the power of will after being wiped out by Parallax and yellow energy, when he previously was an absolute true believer. There is a kernel of a really believable reason why Sinestro wanted the one ring, I mean the yellow energy ring for himself but they needed to show more of the transformation and his desire to control what he thinks is the most powerful energy in the universe. Plus if they spent some time and played up the fact that Sinestro was the number 1 GL right up until Hal Jordan, a human newbie, beat Parallax by himself so maybe Sinestro isn't quite the leader and as powerful as they all thought he was and jealousy could have been an additional factor. Obviously Hal Jordan could control green energy better so maybe yellow energy would give Sinestro the edge he needed. Show it please. As it is shown, Sinestro's faith in the power of will should have been restored by Hal Jordan so his taking the ring makes no sense.
5. The final fight between Hal and Parallax needed at least 5 more minutes.

Everyone of those extensions are pretty easy to write and were probably in the original script but they are all full screen CGI scenes and I'm sure cost a bundle. It seems like they had an outline of a good story, filled in many of connections between each bullet point and then said "Stop. We have no more budget to fill in any more. The audience can fill in the missing scenes themselves."

Maybe Green Lantern is still just too expensive to do live action and create the GL Corp universe for the entire movie.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey
4. More time needed to be spent showing that Sinestro became disillusioned with the Guardians and the power of will after being wiped out by Parallax and yellow energy, when he previously was an absolute true believer. There is a kernel of a really believable reason why Sinestro wanted the one ring, I mean the yellow energy ring for himself but they needed to show more of the transformation and his desire to control what he thinks is the most powerful energy in the universe. Plus if they spent some time and played up the fact that Sinestro was the number 1 GL right up until Hal Jordan, a human newbie, beat Parallax by himself so maybe Sinestro isn't quite the leader and as powerful as they all thought he was and jealousy could have been an additional factor. Obviously Hal Jordan could control green energy better so maybe yellow energy would give Sinestro the edge he needed. Show it please. As it is shown, Sinestro's faith in the power of will should have been restored by Hal Jordan so his taking the ring makes no sense.

I don't know about the movie, but in the comics, Sinestro has absolute faith in the power of will - his own.

He started off as a very respected GL. Sometime during Hal's early career and training, they happened to go by Sinestro's homeworld, where there were GL flags flying EVERYWHERE. Seems that at home, Sinestro was more a dictator with major control issues (and a major cult of personality) than a policeman; his fellow citizens displayed the flags not out of gratitude, but out of absolute fear of Sinestro and his ring.

When the Guardians found out about THAT, that was bye-bye for Sinestro's career as a GL. That's when he went and acquired the yellow ring (or brought out one that he had previously acquired in secret). Much, much later came the Sinestro Corps. Sinestro has stated on various occasions that the Guardians and the Green Lantern Corps do not have the will to do "what needs to be done" to establish order in the Universe, but that he does. Even if the creatures he uses are all psychopaths with power rings.

Having Sinestro give up the green ring because he "lost faith in the power of will" (rather than because his dictatorial and control freak nature was found out, or because he lost faith in the Guardians) doesn't make sense.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Thomas Newton

I don't know about the movie, but in the comics, Sinestro has absolute faith in the power of will - his own.

He started off as a very respected GL. Sometime during Hal's early career and training, they happened to go by Sinestro's homeworld, where there were GL flags flying EVERYWHERE. Seems that at home, Sinestro was more a dictator with major control issues (and a major cult of personality) than a policeman; his fellow citizens displayed the flags not out of gratitude, but out of absolute fear of Sinestro and his ring.

When the Guardians found out about THAT, that was bye-bye for Sinestro's career as a GL. That's when he went and acquired the yellow ring (or brought out one that he had previously acquired in secret). Much, much later came the Sinestro Corps. Sinestro has stated on various occasions that the Guardians and the Green Lantern Corps do not have the will to do "what needs to be done" to establish order in the Universe, but that he does. Even if the creatures he uses are all psychopaths with power rings.

Having Sinestro give up the green ring because he "lost faith in the power of will" (rather than because his dictatorial and control freak nature was found out, or because he lost faith in the Guardians) doesn't make sense.
Only because you apparently believe the movie Sinestro should have the identical origin as that particular comic book origin line. There is nothing in the movie to support your dictatorial version of Sinestro and so I go back to Movie Rule 1: If it isn't shown on screen, it didn't happen. Now GL: First Flight uses something close to the origin lines above but that isn't this movie. My interpretation of an origin was partially shown on screen where Sinestro stated before his first battle that the GL Corp was undefeatable and then was constantly asking the Guardians for Parallax's power after he got his ass handed to him. He also stated to the Guardians to let him take some of the best Lanterns to fight Parallax and show them that the GL Corp is the true force in the universe and not the waning power they seem to think it is but after the battle, maybe the Guardians were right. It can be tough to have your faith tested like that.

If in the sequel it is stated that Sinestro desired the yellow ring because he had a dictator like personality, then that will be completely out of left field from this movie. There isn't even one hint of that idea in it.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Just saw this last night.
Boy, I tell ya, there are a lot of haters out there. I enjoyed this movie as much as Thor. The special effects were really fun to watch, and all the scenes in space had me smiling. It's an origin movie, but one that I really appreciate. The 'love story' didn't get in the way of the film, and Reynolds embraced the character.
Go see the movie. It's meant for the big screen. After all, didn't we all wait so long to see it? Let yourself enjoy it instead of jumping on the bandwagon of hate.
Oh, and they totally set up the sequel! Bring it on!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Neither the worst film I saw this year or the best, it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, not far different from the comic book actually. The script needed work in fact the script was a bit on the rubbish side. But visually it looked interesting. You don't need a respected actor for the role of Hal Jordan /Green Lantern so Ryan Reynolds did okay in the part. There were a lot of giggles from the audience whenever Peter Sarsgaaaard appeared, he was contaminated by an alien which makes his head look like a giant scrotum. The main villain here, Parallax, is a giant floating head which thrives on fear, all the other Lanterns have failed to defeat it, it's up to green new Lantern (Reynolds) to save the universe.

One reviewer mentioned all the high foreheads in the film and he's right, all the actors and aliens have ginormous foreheads, Mark Strong has a huge forehead, so has Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Tim Robbins always had a giant bonce, Sarsgaaaaaard before and after, the guardians of the Lantern whatever they were called had huge heads and there's Parallax the flying forehead. ../../../../img/vbsmilies/htf/alien.gif

I wanted to see Green Lantern in 3D but the friend I was with complained he gets dizzy watching 3D so we saw it in 2D. I think 3D would have been effective for this film, oh well.

4439916c_GreenLantern20111.jpg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The 3D was okay for the space/Oa sequences, since most of that was all CGI anyway, it was much easier to tweak it for 3D viewing.

I couldn't believe how cheap the earth-side scenes looked, as most of it looked like they were shot on studio stages with that that certain "look". Most scenes between Ryan and Blake were shot on such stages, and the "backgrounds" looked very distractingly sparse and cheap, you didn't quite get any semblance of a lived-in reality with those scenes (like the opposite of movies filmed by Peter Berg, where the environment always feels "lived in").

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I saw this last night and agree with Patrick Sun's initial assessment. The romance and the Oa scenes tend to kill the momentum.

I found it odd when Hammond read Hal's mind that the glimpses included a bit of dialogue between Hal and Carol on top of the building that wasn't included in the actual scene ("that came out wrong" I believe was Hal's line). It seemed to explain why Carol was so upset when they parted ways, which seemed to have no basis in anything they had discussed.

2D-Glasses

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor
Golly, you should have watched Green Lantern in 3D and have your friend wear those new 2D-Glasses! :cool:

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Any news on Warner moving forward with a sequel? I actually enjoyed the film for what it was and would love to see Mark Strong return as Sinestro. I avoided this movie in theaters and got the BluRay as a gift. I watched it thinking it was going to be terrible but walked away happy to own it.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
MattBradley said:
Any news on Warner moving forward with a sequel? I actually enjoyed the film for what it was and would love to see Mark Strong return as Sinestro. I avoided this movie in theaters and got the BluRay as a gift. I watched it thinking it was going to be terrible but walked away happy to own it.
Only thing I'm hearing is a Justice League movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks