What's new

Great movies that you may not have seen... (1 Viewer)

Mark Goodman

Agent
Love Metropolitan and prefer it over the other Whit Stillman films Barcelona and Last Days of Disco. Now will there ever be a DVD version.:frowning:

AlexanderS

Second Unit
I just watched "Max". I must say it was very insightful. Stars John Cusack as an artist who befriends a young Hitler. The movie chronicles Hitlers life before politics when he was an inspiring artist. Great movie.

P.S. - I fell asleep watching "Rashoman".

John Watson

Screenwriter
Was just watching PAPER MOON and am glad to see it mentioned here. On dvd, at a very modest price.

How about QUACKSER FORTUNE HAS A COUSIN IN THE BRONX, a very gentle, funny movie about the difference between shit and tourists.

The already mentioned SHALLOW GRAVE - now that's FRIENDS as black comedy.

I'd like more people to know BLISS. I still have a tape from TV of this Australian movie, but have been anticipating a release of it on DVD from Anchor Bay. But there has never been any clear evidence that AB's BLISS is the movie I am thinking of, and the tape will probably completely disintegrate soon. :frowning:

Has anybody here ever seen STEPPENWOLF, with Max von Sydow? That's another I would like to add to my collection, maybe SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 could come (back) at the same time :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John, Bliss is also a little favorite of mine. Not perfect by any means, but good quirky fun. I have the LD and have also been hoping it is the same movie AB has been claiming to be releasing. It's been so long, I'm not holding my breath.

JamesDrake

Agent
I have to vote for a few that stand out in my mind. They made you want to know more about the characters and their worlds.

River's Edge Starring Keanu Reeves, Crispin Glover, Dennis Hopper...the list goes on.

Series 7 It was mentioned previously.

Scotland PA Another good film with Walken.

SFW aka So F#$%ing What Interestingly done. So many ideas about this one.

DavidAls

Agent
Some recommendations (some of which have been mentioned before); all thoughtful, well-made films that seem - comparatively - to be somewhat overlooked or forgotten:

US/English-language:

Being There (Ashby)
The Last Detail (Ashby)
Matewan (Sayles)
Return Of The Secaucus Seven (Sayles)
Brother From Another Planet (Sayles)
Passion Fish (Sayles)
Point Blank (Boorman)
The Conversation (Coppola)
King Of Comedy (Scorsese)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Scorsese)
A Thousand Clowns (Coe)
The Ladykillers (Mackendrick)
The Spanish Prisoner (Mamet)

Non-English Language:
Sansho The Bailiff, Ugetsu - Japan, Kenji Mizoguchi
Stray Dog, High & Low, Red Beard, Lower Depths - Japan, Akira Kurosawa
Tokyo Story, An Autumn Afternoon, Floating Weeds - Japan, Yazujiro Ozu
Pather Panchali, Aparajito, World Of Apu, Charulata, Middleman - India, Satyajit Ray
Gabbeh, Silence - Iran, Moshen Makhmalbaf

Otravez

Auditioning
The Twilight Of The Golds

What if homosexuality was predetermined by genetics and could be tested for in unborn babies? This movie follows a Jewish family with an estranged gay son and whose daughter's unborn baby has tested positive for the homosexual gene.

Very thought provoking movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks