1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

Blast of Silence (1961, Allen Barron)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by The Drifter, May 3, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 3 May 3, 2019
    Last edited: May 3, 2019
    The Drifter

The Drifter Second Unit

Jim
    I've seen the b&w film Blast of Silence several times over the years, on the Criterion DVD. Excellent movie, which focuses on a lone hitman who travels to NYC during the Christmas holidays to perform a "job".

Great atmosphere, acting, period jazz score, and location. Early ’60’s NYC may as well be another character in the film. I also think that setting & filming the movie in Winter added to the intentional starkness; even the daytime scenes were gloomy and morose. Also setting the film at Christmas-time emphasized the alienation/loneliness of the main character.

The second-person narration took some getting used to, but ultimately I found it very appropriate.

Kudos to the Criterion Collection – if it weren’t for the DVD, I would never have gotten a chance to see the film (or hear of it, for that matter).

If you like b&w noir films and haven’t already seen this, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Flashgear and phillyrobt like this.
  2. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks. I love old movies.

3. The Drifter

The Drifter Second Unit

Jim
    To add to my last post, it's worth noting that this film has some similarities to the iconic 1976 NYC film Taxi Driver, which may be completely coincidental; I don't think Scorsese has ever cited BOS as an influence, but since I'm a big fan of both films, I definitely noticed:

In BOS, the main character is rejected by a woman (as Travis Bickle was in TD), and things go downhill from there. This definitely reminded me quite a bit of TD, re: the lone sociopath who has problems forming any kind of personal connection with anyone, the NYC setting, etc. There is also "second-person" narration in BOS which somewhat delves in the main character's psyche - this brings to mind the first-person narration by TB in TD.

Flashgear likes this.