What's new

Great Films that put you right to sleep ... (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Watching black & white movies at night in the dark makes me really sleepy. Many times I try to continue watching the movie in that state; when I don't remember what had happened, that's when I stop watching. The funny thing is that when I stop the movie and change the TV source to cable, I'm wide awake; or when I go into my bedroom to sleep, I have trouble falling asleep.

~T

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
When watching movies like Gone With the Wind or Titanic, I find that if I concentrate on the filmmaking technique, I can manage to stay awake. And even admire the craft and effort in making the movie.

I am more tolerant of this now than even 10 years ago.

Tim RH

Second Unit
Funny, 2001 is one of the few films that can sustain my attention throughout the entire running length. I find it quite riveting every time I see it.
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess! :)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I hate say it but "Lord Of The Rings" does it to me everytime. I tried watching 3 times now, although each time it's like watching a new movie because I'm seeing the parts I slept through for the 1st time, but a least the movie is making more sense to me;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The "Dawn of Man" sequence and the "Dance/Ballet of the Spaceships" puts me to sleep everytime. Until the first words are uttered in the movie is when I wake up. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Jazz Singer (1927)

I finally caught this film on TCM...and I'm apalled that the AFI has this on the Top 100 list. Al Jolson is great in the film, but that's it. It is little more than a dull silent film with a few nice scenes.

I personally think The General would have been a much better to put in its place. In fact, there are MANY films more worthy. Why not a sound film which actually took advantage of sound like Dracula?

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I'm on the edge of my seat when I watch Patton, Lawrence of Arabia, any of the Godfathers, Ben Hur, but no matter what I do The Deer Hunter knocks me out faster than a triple vodka martini. That wedding scene just goes on and on! Also, it can be tough to make it through Das Boot sometimes, as great of a movie as it is.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Not a great film but the first 80mins of Pearl Harbor does have a drowsy, sleep-inducing effect on me, but I perk up when the raid starts, which IMO is one of the greatest action sequences put on film, shame about the rest of the film, my girl loves the rest of the film and nods off during the battles.:D
Whats all this about 2001 being a cure for insomnia? I vehemently disagree, when I was a toddler it did bore the crap out of me, but growing up I fell in love with the film, it really is the king of SF movies, ok not the king of action SF movies, it wasn't the Matrix of 1968, well maybe in its way it was, it really was the dawning of the age of... "Aquarius"... "Aquariuuuus!"
Please ignore the last couple of lines of this post, thank you....

Terry St

Second Unit
A movie which puts me to sleep is not necesarily a bad movie. I can fall asleep during just about anything. (Think Corporal Hicks in Aliens.) I once fell asleep during the last half hour of Akira! There are quite a few good movies that tend to put me out cold if I'm not wide awake to begin with. (Baraka, The Thin Red Line, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 2001, to name a few) I do like all of these quite a bit, but they're just a bit too soothing in places.

On the other hand, unconciousness would have been a mercy the one time I was dragged to see Titanic, but it was too difficult to sleep through such torture! Honestly, I just can't sit still for a bad movie. Invariably, either I sit there silently ranting to myself (if trapped in a theatre or at home with company), eject and toss, or tweak. IMHO, a bad movie is great tool for tweaking your system. You can't spoil the experience of a bad movie with interruptions (they actually make it bearable) and you're going to be sensitive to sound/image issues that you wouldn't even notice when immersed in a good movie. Jason X belongs right next to your copy of AVIA!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
From reading past threads, 2001 and Final Fantasy, whether great or not, seem to be the two movies that have put the most people to sleep.

~T

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Wow .. I am not alone. It seems the movies that are rather long and without much action or dialog are making the list.

Another one that took me awhile to sit through was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. It took me at least a half a dozen tries to get past the ENCOUNTER OF THE FIRST KIND

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
2001 is the snoozefest Deluxe. I'm getting convinced more often that this movie was made just for arts sake.

Eyes Wide Shut follows that up. I was so disinterested in the characters that the teasing of nudity was the only reason I kept half awake. I've seen it twice since in order to see if I can get the movie and actually like it(worked for me for fight club) but it fails miserably and I go to sleep.

If it's late at night, Alien will put me to sleep. The early parts of the movie are really slow and w/o large doses of caffeine i'm gone. If I make it past that part I'm fully engrossed/scared stiff.

Generally I find that movies that put you to sleep are seen too late at night and put people to sleep because of the bodies reacting naturally. If I know the movie is going to be slow I watch it earlier in the night so I'm able to stay up thru it.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Terry St wrote:
Aliens said:
Me, too. My list of supposedly great soporific spectacles is (so far) a list of one:
David Lynch's Eraserhead (1977). Despite having bought the laserdisc "blind", I've never been able to stay awake past the metallic clanging in the early factory scenes. I used to keep waking up to see a "monster baby" on a (stained?) pillow and then keep going back to sleep. I've yet to see that movie through. Conclusion: "weird" is not necessarily good.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Rex: I believe Hicks is correct, as he's the one dozing on the drop ship (while Hudson goes on and on about kicking alien ass with the latest high-tech gadgets).

Evan

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Hicks is correct, as he's the one dozing on the drop ship (while Hudson goes on and on about kicking alien ass with the latest high-tech gadgets).
Agreed. Just saw Aliens twice over the weekend on AMC and it is most definately Hicks (Michael Beihn) snoozing - showing off his ability to stay frosty in any situation.
"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - absolute badasses!"
As far as the topic at hand is concerned, I fell asleep three times watching 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks