What's new

Great Films that put you right to sleep ... (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about this topic the other night when I attempted for the 10th time, I think, to sit through the DVD of Fellini's 8 1/2.
Saw this 10 years ago on VHS when I was taking film classes and thought it was a well crafted piece of art, but not a very entertaining one. Bought the DVD about a year ago and being amazed at it's pristine transfer I have tried to sit through it. So far it has managed to put me asleep every single time I have watched it. Don't think I have gotten past the 40 minute mark yet.
So much so, that I know put it on when I am trying to fall asleep :) ... works every time. Maybe it's the mesmerizing effect of the Italian dialogue coupled with the score?
Am I psyching myself out or does anyone else have their favorite movie that puts you to sleep.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
ill second 2001, unless its in the middle of the day, i'm asleep by the end of the dawn of man. fargo has this effect, as does the trouble with harry and vertigo. all great movies though.

CJ

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Citizen Kane has that effect on me. I like the film but my eyelids get so heavy when I watch it. Next time I'll drink some coffee beforehand.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
2001:A Space Snoozefest

One time I was watching it and after about 2 hours I realised I had accidently pressed the pause button on the remote.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
Contact and Unbreakable come to my mind, although I'm not sure either fall into the "Great Films" of the thread subject.

While I'm drifting off topic...
For those with Real bad insomnia (Ed Norton in Fight Club bad)I recommend either "Kama Sutra (A Tale of Love)" or "Hideous Kinky" My wife snuck both of these under the "chick flick" radar. The first may sound like late-night cinemax material, the second promises a Kate Winslet nude scene. As far as I know, neither delivered.
"Zzzzzzzz What?, Oh yea, riveting. zzzzzzzz"

Louis C

Supporting Actor
2001: A Space Odyssey (space. lots of space.)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (and a sleepover)
All the President's Men (are sleeping)
A River (and snoring) Runs Through It
Chariots of Fire (and slumber)
Those are right off the top of my head. I am sure there are many other worthy candidates.
2001: A Space Odyssey
One time I was watching it and after about 2 hours I realised I had accidently pressed the pause button on the remote.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Bill, I kind of agree with that. But I think that if you think it is a great film, then you will not sleep through it. What I mean is, while many others might think the movie is great, you might not feel its greatness, and thus you will sleep through it.
One movie that I could never really get through is Mona Lisa. I really like the movie, but for some strange reason I am always catching it at like 11 at night, and it just woes me to sleep

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Bill, if a film puts me to sleep, it's not a great film. However, films that other people think are great that put me to sleep is a different subject. Includes:

Lawrence of Arabia
Sunrise
Cries & Whispers
Titanic
Gone with the Wind
A Streetcar Named Desire
All About Eve

and lots of others.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I always used to nod off when watching Apocalypse Now, pretty much about the time they reached Kurtz's compound. Interesting thing is, when I saw the even longer Redux version last year in the theater, I was riveted throughout. IMO, this is one film (LoA & 2001 are others) that really needs to be seen on the big screen to be appreciated.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
2001 is one of my very favorite films (#5, unofficially), but, depending on my level of relaxation, I do occasionally nod off during the space repair scene. Not because its boring, but because my body seems to find Dave's breathing patterns rather soothing and meditative, like a "Sounds of Nature"-type CD ("Sounds of Dave", hmm...).
I had some trouble maintaining consciousness for Bertolucci's 1900, but surely the length had a great deal to do with it.
I usually fall asleep to a movie every night, but I don't blame the movies for that. For whatever reason, I can go to sleep easier when watching a movie than from lying in silent darkness.
Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks