What's new

Grease 2 isn't so bad (1 Viewer)

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
If you sincerely think "We'll Be Together" is better than "We Go Together", you are on total crack.

Sample Lyric: "Will I ever score?"
"There's nothing wrong with just liking each
other."

nuff said.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not on crack...and I don't appreciate a personal attack (whether it was in fun or not.) It is just your opinion. I can find just as many people who like Grease 2 and the song "We'll Be Together" as you can people who don't like it. The Grease films are corny, unrealistic fun....which is what they are meant to be. Grease 2 opened the same weekend as E.T. and didn't have much of a chance at the box-office. But I remember that plenty of people at the time enjoyed both films and considered them to be similar in entertainment value. Not all films are meant to be realistic. Maybe it is the sentimental in me, but I find the songs and the film to be innocent and sweet. A cynical mind can ruin many of life's unassuming moments. By the way, the same songwriting team is responsible for both films.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
Grease 2 wouldn't have had a chance if it opened up the same weekend as Weekend at Bearnie's 8. It's a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad movie. But I like to laugh at it's inferiority. So it is a guilty pleasure. But Grease is a great movie.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Matt,
that's not cool. Just because Scott likes something that you don't, you say he's on crack!? :confused:
I can see from your post count that your new here, so you may not understand how we do things here on the HTF, but comments like yours won't get you many friends here.

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
C'mon, do you really take a crack joke seriously? It was totally meant as a joke. If I have offended any crack heads, or relatives of crackheads...I do apologize. Plus, I've been on here quite a while. I just don't post all the time, I actually get away from the computer.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Maybe I'm a sucker for cheesy movies, but I like Grease 2, and like Scott mentioned above I also like The Pirate Movie and Popeye.

I remember HBO used to play Grease 2 ad nauseum. I must of seen it like 20 times. Maybe that has something to do with it, like when you hear a song on the radio over and over, eventually it grows on you. Or maybe it has something to do with Michelle Pfieffer, very hot.

Anyway, while I don't think it was as good as Grease, I do find it enjoyable. To each his own.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Sample Lyric: "Will I ever score?"
"There's nothing wrong with just liking each
other."
Touché; however, it's no dumber than "chang chang chang-ity chang she-bop dip dee dip dee dip doo wop she-doobie-doo". If we took a few lines out of every song and slammed the song for just those few lines, we might as well throw out both Grease and Grease 2 as being utterly devoid of musical value.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If we took a few lines out of every song and slammed the song for just those few lines, we might as well throw out both Grease and Grease 2 as being utterly devoid of musical value.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Well said.
I don't pretend Grease 2 is a classic, or deserving of merit or award, but I do love the movie. I'll call it a guilty pleasure if you want me to, but it's a pleasure nonetheless.
I certainly don't think it's fair to compare it unfavorably to Weekend at Bernies.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
OK, it's time for brian to throw out his two cents.
Grease 2 kicks ass!

I'm sorry to all who hate it, but I really like this movie. It's fun, and I happen to like the songs. Would I buy the soundtrack...no. But I do like the songs. While I admit the movie is not the greatest, it has an appeal to me. It has good guys and bad guys, a love story, a ketchup fascination, hot chicks, motorcycles, leather jackets, cool English accents, some crazy nervous breakdown teacher guy, the famous I'm wearing my mother's underwear line, Balmudo, the great love song in heaven on a pile of broken motorcycles scene, and on and on.

OK, I'm all done now. I couldn't sit back and watch the beating anymore.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I have to admit that I enjoy watching Grease 2 as well. It's not the greatest film in the world, neither is it the worst film in the world (my vote for that would go to any movie featuring either Tom Hanks' or Patrick Swayze's brothers! lol). It's a campy and funny (not always intentionally) little film. It is what it is...I've probably watched it 50 times since I was a kid (since they used to show it all the time on cable back in the early 80s...along with Popeye, The Pirate Movie and Zorro, The Gay Blade.

It did get Michelle Pfeifer a lot of notice...plus it got Maxwell Caulfield a couple of years on Dynasty. Adrian Zmed went on to Dance Fever, Solid Gold and T.J. Hooker before thankfully disappearing. Christopher McDonald is now currently starring in Family Law with Kathleen Quinlan and Julie Warner (who I still think is one of the hottest actresses in Hollywood!). And Lorna Luft is still riding her mother's and sister's coattails (in case you've been living under a rock, I'm talking about Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli)

So, although it's not the greatest movie in the world, it's decent enough to sit through every once in a while. Just get plenty of soda and popcorn...and if you have to get up to go to the bathroom, you won't miss much! lol

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Grease 2 does have its moments, tho it is the cast that doesn't quite match up to the original that really throws it. I still think "Let's do it for our country" is the most memorable song from the film. I don't think it is near as bad of a film as some have been making it out to be. It isn't a great movie either, but it does have redeeming qualities.

I also agree with most of the movies above, except for "The Pirate Movie". I remembered liking it when I was a kid, and I saw it again years later, and couldn't understand why I ever did. It was the same reaction I had to "The Dukes Of Hazzard"...

Jason

DanHaya

Second Unit
Yeah John, that's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen! One I didn't mention earlier is Scavenger Hunt...does anyone remember that one? I'd love to see both of them on DVD!

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
What about Zapped!? Any movie that features both Scatman Carruthers and Willie Aames deserves the Five Star Treatment, no matter how awful the movie is.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
My favorite song in Grease 2 has to be during the classroom scene - "Reproduction" :laugh:
"Where does the pollen go?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Matthew, Zapped is another classic. I'm dying to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks