What's new

Grease 2 isn't so bad (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching Grease 2...I haven't seen it in its entirety in about ten years. I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. It isn't so bad. Sure it has its problems, but I have seen much worse. The main problem is it that its leads lack real charisma..the kind of magic that Olivia and John had in the first film. However, if the first film lacked chemistry I don't think it would have been received as well either..it isn't exactly Oscar material. The songs in Grease 2 are very good, and I like the spirit of the film. The direction was kind of drab at certain points, but the story never dragged.
Good points: 1. The songs
2. Lorna Luft and Maureen Teefy
3. Maxwell Caulfield (did well with the character he had to work with)
4. Adrian Zmed

Bad points: 1. The direction felt forced at times
2. There were times in the film that the storyline felt disjointed, perhaps because of bad editing.
3. The T-Birds lacked any real characterization

-- At any rate, this is a fun follow-up to the first film, and probably aimed at more of a female audience (or at least a younger female audience) than the first film was.
--- And not nearly as bad as its reputation would have one believe.

Grade: B-

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Well, if you think that the songs and lead performances weren't absolutely AWFUL, there's nothing I can say to make you think otherwise...nor would I want to.
Personally, I think Grease 2 is about as bad a sequel as you'll ever find, but I think it's great that you found something to enjoy about it AND that you're brave enough to admit it publicly. :)
Please don't think I'm mocking you - because I happen to love a LOT of movies that are generally regarded as crap. But as far as this one's 'reputation' goes, I'm of the opinion that it's a richly deserved one.
"We're gonna boooowwl tonight! We're gonna bo-oh-oh-llllll tonight!" :laugh:
(OK, I love Popeye and have a soft spot for The Pirate Movie. Feel free to mock me good-naturedly in return.)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have always thought that the closing song in Grease 2 "We'll Be Together" is much better than "We Go Together" from Grease. "Let's Do It For Our Country" is also a gem.....these songs were written for the most part by the same team from Grease. I'm not saying that this film is a masterpiece by any means...I just don't think it deserves to be looked at as crap. It didn't have much of a chance back in 1982 opening up against E.T. :)
By the way, I like Popeye too! Shhhhhhhhh

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Scott,
I really hope you didn't intend for this thread to be an appreciation thread for Grease 2. ;)
I used to really like this movie, of course I was only 12 at the time. :) One thing i've always wanted to ask about the 50's and I guess this is as good a time as any, did girls REALLY go for guy's who looked like that!? You know, with the black leather jacket, white T-shirt, blue jeans, comb in the back pocket, and enough styling crap in their hair to pollute an ocean?
If they did, i'm growing up in the wrong fricken era! :frowning: :)
"I need a rider that's cooooll!!" :laugh::laugh:
Sorry Scott, had to do it. :)
On the other hand Michelle Pfieffer was hot in it!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well, she IS hot in everything ;)
I've only seen bits and pieces of Grease 2. It's just... Wrong. Friends don't let friends watch Grease 2.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The title of the thread is "Grease 2 isn't so bad"...don't read into things that aren't there... I said that the film isn't as bad as some people say it is. I am 27, and there are a lot of people my age that prefer the sequel. Let's not start bashing films that others like. There are many films that have been talked about on the HTF that friends of mine roll their eyes at. I can start an appreciation thread about any film I like. If you want to be immature about it, please don't respond.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and by the way, from what I have been told...girls did go after guys that looked like that.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I am very light, but one smiley face would be sufficient. Otherwise, it looks like you are being sarcastic. Comments that would be fine face to face tend to come across differently in print.
-- At any rate, all I am saying is that the sequel isn't that much worse than the first film. As entertainment, the Grease films are fun....as quality filmmaking, they are average.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nah, I wasn't being sarcastic, although it may seem that way though. I looked over my first post again, and feel that every smiley in it has a purpose.
Grease 2 isn't a bad movie, i've just outgrown it is all. Some of the stuff in it just strikes me as being really funny now. :)
Don't take it personally, after all, I laugh at television commercials too, so you can't go by me. ;)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Good points: 1. The songs
You're kidding, right? Every time the bowling scene comes up I have to leave. That song belongs in the gutter. ;)
I must agree that "We'll Be Together" is a better song than "We Go Together", though. They're both good, but I can only hear "Shoo bop shoo wadda wadda yippety boom de-boom" so many times before I have to roll my eyes.
As a movie, it's definitely watchable. I won't blatantly turn it off when I'm channel chasing. So, you have a supporter in the "it's not so bad" column.
My big gripe with it, though, is that I've never seen it in WIDESCREEN!! The panning is almost as bad as in Ghostbusters! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

BradG

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

You have a supporter in me. I actually saw Grease 2 before I saw Grease - and while I concede that Grease is a better movie, I still do enjoy Grease 2.

I enjoy the songs from Grease 2 - Michelle Pfeiffer's "Cool Rider" or the T-Bird's "Prowlin'" especially.

Everyone has some movies generally panned by all that they like, for whatever reason, and this is one for me.

I also agree that it would be nice to see the widescreen version as the pan & scan we currently see is horrible!

Brad.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
(Given the sensitive nature around here and how I usually end up pissing people off in the movie forum, I offer the following disclaimer: the following is good-natured fun and not meant to insult opinions or people, as I love everybody and want to give you all hugs. The events are based on a true story, unfortunately.)

Question: What is hell?

Answer: Hell is helping your girlfriend move all day, including lugging everything around, shopping for furniture, etc. Then, at night, having to follow impossible instructions to build a table and chairs while the gf is blasting the soundtrack to Grease 2.

Have you ever wanted to laugh and kill somebody at the same time? That is the feeling you get when the instructions are in 4 point font and Michelle Pfeiffer is singing about a "cool rider."

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever wanted to laugh and kill somebody at the same time? That is the feeling you get when the instructions are in 4 point font and Michelle Pfeiffer is singing about a "cool rider."
...particularly when you're actually thinking about finishing the damned table and chairs so that you can "Score Tonight". :D :D :D

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Maybe it is just me, but I have always thought that the film would have worked if maybe it wasn't a musical. I can deal with some of the music toward the end like at the talent show, but some of the songs, Cool Rider comes to mind, seemed forced.

At least in Grease, when Summer Nights is sung, everyone is involved. In Grease 2, Stephanie is to be the hottest chick in school, yet only Michael notices when she breaks into song. You clearly see people when she goes out side, but yet no one notices what the hot girl is doing.

If I do watch the film, which I admit isn't near as bad as what people make it out to be, I skip the musical portions.
Granted, the original film has some cheesy music as well, but Grease 2 has also seemed to me like the music was an afterthought and simply inserted to make it a musical.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It may well be because it was so everpresent on cable when I was first hooked up all those years ago, but I love Grease 2. I'll be at the store day 1 to buy it on DVD.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Um...
ah...
hrm...
Grease 2... is so.... mind-numbingly...
hphh...
oh, it's just... [PLAYFULSARCASM] great [/PLAYFULSARCASM]. ;)
Seriously, what can one say? To rank on it would be redundant. To praise it would, for me, be disingenuous.
But I will say this: I have seen this movie 8 BILLION TIMES, most of them in the summer of 1983, as a 12 year old with a broken foot and a remote control.
The movie is awful, but man, can I recite it quote and verse. And if it's on, I will watch it, I guarantee you that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks