What's new

We need a REAL Restoration for Red Sun (1971) The Best of East meets Western with Tishiro Mifune/Charles Bronson/Alain Delone/Ursula Andress (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
One day at the movies I saw one amazing and wierd movie that I always swore if I could, I would own a copy of it someday. Released in 1971 and was the only movie predicated on the blending of sumurai and cowboys gone Italian, filmed in Spain, with and international cast and directed by a Brit!! Love the casting, Bronson/Mifune/Delone and not to mention knockout wonder woman Ursula Andress in her prime!!

Over the years I ran across 3dr-6th gen worn and tired copies on the marker. I ended up getting a copy of it on dvd that wasn't too bad. 2015 and Studio Canal in theUK, does a "Restored Edition" according to thier packing. I got it and yes, it's better than the dvd, but far from any kind of HD restoration, and I say SC kinda dropped the ball on this one. I'm sure that this movie isn't the first thing you think of in your western hitlist, but for all of us that know the backstory between directors Sergio Leone and Akira Kurosawa, and the shared respect they both had for each other, Red Sun falls in this wonderful hybrid canon of high adventure.

There needs to be a full restoration of Red Sun, so that future audiences will have a chance to experience what happened all those years ago in that darkend theater, and the joy and laughter that I felt and collectively shared with all the others kicking back in tilt seats...

Attachments

• 81ffAUJUT3L._SL1500_.jpg
    81ffAUJUT3L._SL1500_.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 8140U-nmE4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    8140U-nmE4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 40

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I tend to agree with Mr. Harris. It showed up on the Criterion Channel a while and back I watched due to the talent involved. It is a low point in all their careers.
Sorry you see it like that, each to thier own. I thought the interaction between Mifune and Bronson is wonderful!! Both on a mission, one for honor one for revenge, and the friendship that is forged along the journey is great storytelling. But that, again is just my perception.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sorry you see it like that, each to thier own. I thought the interaction between Mifune and Bronson is wonderful!! Both on a mission, one for honor one for revenge, and the friendship that is forged along the journey is great storytelling. But that, again is just my perception.
I actually don't know the film, but presume that the elements are fine, and it needs zero work to make a viable home video release.

Not every film needs to be "restored."

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I actually don't know the film, but presume that the elements are fine, and it needs zero work to make a viable home video release.

Not every film needs to be "restored."
Actually Studio Canal did a fair Blu-ray, but they did virtually no real restoration to it. I believe they may have massaged it electronically, but here again, just my opinion, if you’re going to do something you’ll be good to be able to do it correctly the first time. It is a decent film it’s not gone with the wind, but in the pantheon of hybrid themed adventure this stands uniquely alone. For this was the first time that they did in fact infuse both samurai and cowboys story lines into one interesting film.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'd love to see it again. The last (only) time I saw it was in an outdoor theater in an alley in Crete, a couple years after the film's release. The audience sat on folding chairs and the "theater" was blocked off from the rest of the alley with large tarps. It was a big hit with the movie-goers. I remember it as entertaining. You can't ignore the star power. Please Kino ask SC about a fresh scan!

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
But it's Region B as I recall. It would be nice to have a Region A one.
I understand. I had to break the piggy bank and get a region b bluray (at the side eye of my wife) to enjoy some diffrent releases of my favorites. If someone was going to clean up a Bronson film I wish it would be hard times or from noon till three. On tv they looked awful down here on a local station a few years back

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The quality of the version out there isn't bad for this to be a film very few people know of.
Actually more people know about this film than you think. This particular film has quite a following, and the beautiful thing is ignorance can be cured.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Not sure I'd buy it on Blu-ray, but it's a fun adventure film. Say, maybe they should have cast Bronson in Black Rain instead of Michael Douglas for another east vs west showdown. That's sort of what Kinjite is anyway.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I can attest that it's not the worst Bronson, Mifune, Delon, Andress, or Terence Young-directed movie on Blu-ray!

(FROM NOON TILL THREE is OOP on Blu-ray but can still be found on Amazon; HARD TIMES is part of this Blu-ray set, maybe not the best transfer but hard to beat at this price with three other movies: )

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Not a great movie but fun, and ideal for Kino given its other Bronson/Delon titles.

My sentiments exactly. I guess it's one of those "guilty pleasures". When the film was first released, I thought it sounded like an incredibly dumb movie. I didn't actually see it until years later and found it to be very enjoyable. I'd probably buy this on Blu. Last time I saw it was on TCM I think in its OAR, but picture was so-so.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Not a great film but I saw the film it on a glorious wide curved screen at the UA Wayne Theater in Preakness shopping center upon release. Loved the cast and Jarre's score. It's the nostalgia factor for me. Only saw it that one time, but would pick up it the transfer looked good. "THE GREATEST FIGHTING MACHINE THE WEST HAS EVER KNOWN!"

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I can attest that it's not the worst Bronson, Mifune, Delon, Andress, or Terence Young-directed movie on Blu-ray!

(FROM NOON TILL THREE is OOP on Blu-ray but can still be found on Amazon; HARD TIMES is part of this Blu-ray set, maybe not the best transfer but hard to beat at this price with three other movies: )

Death Wish 4...nuff said!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks