What's new

We need a REAL Restoration for Red Sun (1971) The Best of East meets Western with Tishiro Mifune/Charles Bronson/Alain Delone/Ursula Andress (1 Viewer)

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I got the R2 blu based on the strength of the cast and director. It's definitely lesser than the sum of its parts, but I didn't hate it in the least, and I saw where, say, Shanghai Noon took a lot of the concept and did it more comedically. I don't begrudge wanting a North American release, but the import disc would probably satisfy you if you have a multi-region player.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I got the R2 blu based on the strength of the cast and director. It's definitely lesser than the sum of its parts, but I didn't hate it in the least, and I saw where, say, Shanghai Noon took a lot of the concept and did it more comedically. I don't begrudge wanting a North American release, but the import disc would probably satisfy you if you have a multi-region player.
I do , and it's ok...but really, still in need for a restoration. Better than the dvd versions granted, but like allof us, we all would like to see the cleanest versions of our favorite movies in our collections, right? And for me, Red Sun is one if those titles.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Not a masterpiece or anything, but Red Sun is a lot of fun and well worth a watch. It's neat to see Toshiro Mifune out stone face ol' Chuck Bronson, who becomes a real chatterbox in response. Seriously, I think Bronson has more lines in this film than in all the Death Wish movies combined. As Capt. Cheese Pro mentioned upthread, Ursula Andress is in this one and gets her top off at one point, so there's that in its favor. Some good action, too. There was a Region A Japanese Blu-Ray out there, probably from the same source as the Studio Canal edition. I should've picked it up when it was cheap. Now it's OOP.

Interestingly, Toshiro Mifune returned a decade later in The Bushido Blade (also with another eclectic cast, including Richard Boone in his last acting role), which has pretty much the exact same premise, except it's set in Japan.

MV5BNDFiODk2MDYtNjM3Ni00NGU0LThmZGItOTkyY2RlZDkzMTFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The film's biggest flaw is that it wastes the glorious Capucine! Actually, that's the only reason I bought the disc. I'm a Capucine completist.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Capucine drove me crazy in Walk On The Wild Side, What's New Pussycat? and was miscast in North To Alaska. I do have that OOP Japanese Red Sun and same issues. Not so good. When I saw the film theatrically, it had the National General Pictures logo on it. I have seen one sheets that associate it to Columbia Pictures. Anyone out there that can clear this up?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Capucine drove me crazy in Walk On The Wild Side, What's New Pussycat? and was miscast in North To Alaska. I do have that OOP Japanese Red Sun and same issues. Not so good. When I saw the film theatrically, it had the National General Pictures logo on it. I have seen one sheets that associate it to Columbia Pictures. Anyone out there that can clear this up?
NGP was a strictly domestic distribution entity. IMDb lists several distributors worldwide, including Toho, Warner-Columbia and Columbia. Not sure how European rights wound up with StudioCanal.

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Stephen J H! Many thanks. And I forgot to add when I saw Fellini's Satyricon in New York, I actually shouted Capucine's name and pointed to the screen.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
...and yet Warner Bros Archives shows the trailer?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
...and yet Warner Bros Archives shows the trailer?

WarnerMedia owns the majority of the National General Library in North America. They acquired it in 1973. The exceptions are the Cinema Center Films titles, which were only distributed by NGP, and are owned by Paramount Global [formerly ViacomCBS].

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Hey there! Thomas T. No, not Debbie Reynolds, agree with you there. I also loved the way Capucine looked in The Seventh Dawn though. I just felt the casting of Wayne with her didn't work, like Sophia Loren and Wayne.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks