What's new

Goth Club Music? (1 Viewer)

Duane Griffith

Auditioning
Last weekend a friend of mine took me to a gothic club and we had a great time. The music was this pulsating techno stuff that I really was into. Since I have no idea who or what I was listening to, can any of you make some suggestions as to this type of music?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I only own 2 techno cd's:
"Vegas" by The Crystal Method
"Shango" by Juno Reactor
Vegas is good, you hear a lot of those songs on TV in commercials and such. It's good to listen to when your driving late for work. ;)
Shango I bought because I heard the song "pistolero" and had to have it. It's a little darker/wierder stuff.. the rest of it is growing on me.

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
It's too bad you don't know the names of at least one of the groups, I would probably have a few reccomends since I like both Goth and a lot of styles of dance. :)
I'm kind of betting that the music you were hearing was Trance. There's a ton of good DJ's out there that do pretty much exclusivly trance. John Digweed, Nick Warren, Dave Seaman, Paul Oakenfold. DJ Tiesto, Paul Van Dyk, Danny Howells, etc,etc,etc. Or check out the artist Assemblage 23, which is more of a Goth Rock with a dance beat. Check them out on the net and see if that's the type of tunes you were hearing. If so, I can give you a few more reccomends.

Duane Griffith

Auditioning
Stephen, I am listening to Paul Oakenfold "Tranceport." I do like it but the stuff I heard at the club was a little harder than this if you know what I mean (i hope you do)! Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the suggestions Dave- I will give them a listen too!

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Give Delerium a try. Specifically, "Semantic Spaces". Was it typified by fast beats? If so, it could have been a next generation electronica version of industrial. I don't know much about this genre, sadly, but it might help produce a few more suggetions from others.

Martin.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I was going to say, he was most likely hearing Industrial music.
Unfortunately, I don't know the current Industrial scene.
For classic Industrial, check out Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry... ah, my good ol' vinyl 12" remix collection. :)

Daniel I

Stunt Coordinator
Any hope for any Nitzer Ebb on Super Audio CD? :]
gimme gimme Ebbhead on SACD!:crazy:
Daniel I

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
I'll echo Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, Delirium, Ministry. Also, Doubting Thomas and Coil are some other good ones. Also check out Assemblage 23 as I mentioned above, that dude just ROCKS! The music is just...wow! And there's a really good Goth/Industrial group on MP3.com called Enrapture that is quite good. That's all I can think of without flipping through my collection.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Duane-

Ack! I can't believe this thread almost passed me by!

Try some of these bands out, they're probably what you are referring to. Some of them have already been mentioned by the other astute posters:

*VNV Nation (try out 'Nations')

*Wolfsheim

*Tear Garden (also known as Current 93)

*Coil (specifically, Love's Secret Domain, and Windowpane/Snow.. the 'danciest' coil out there'

*Apoptygma Bezerk (try out 'Welcome to Earth,' their latest)

*Meat Beat Manifesto

*Frontline Assembly (this band is also known as Delirium)*Front 242

*Das Ich

There are so many more but these are some of the more popular ones.

Joseph

Duane Griffith

Auditioning
You are all awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have alot of new music to listen to and man have I been stuck in a rut for a while. It feels good to have some new stuff to try. It will be a new music weekend for me!!!! Thanks again and keep them coming.

Duane

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Delerium is not really hard, fast club stuff. Very mellow, Deep Forest/Enigma kind of stuff. Their current release, Odysey, however, is techno remixes of some of their best stuff. 2 disc set, both discs are very good.
BT - Rare & Remixed and Movement in Still Life are very good. There were at least 5 big club hits from Movement. I like all of his albums.
better known suff - Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, DJ Keoki, DJ Tiesto (released some cool compilation/mix sessions called Crystal), DJ Quicksilver
DVD- Moby: Play The album is great, but the DVD is WAY better, especially in 5.1. There is a 90min "Moby's Mega Mix" that is pretty sick, and even some cool live acoustic stuff.
Look through your local music store's Drum & Bass or GOA stuff too.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, DJ Keoki, DJ Tiesto (released some cool compilation/mix sessions called Crystal), DJ Quicksilver
All excellent recommendations! I wouldn't file any of that under goth, however. (Trying desperately to stay away from the 'what is goth' debate that has been raging for literally decades)
By the way, I have to agree that the Moby megamix on the Play DVD is phenomenal. Great stuff (and great visuals to go along with it). Highly recommended :emoji_thumbsup:
Cheers
Joseph

Oscar_R

Second Unit
lambertpost.jpg

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I'll second Joseph's suggestions, since BT, Crystal Method, and Moby don't quite fall into the category he's asking about.

What you want my friend falls into a gaggle of names, such as: darwave, electro-industrial, industrial,EB, etc.

Current favorites for relatively new bands would be:

Apoptygma Berzerk

Covenant

Project Pitchfork

Wumpscut

VNV Nation

Icon of Coil

Assemblage 23

Cut rate Box

or even better, look for a CD called ironacly enough

"EBM Starter Kit"

-O

P.S. Stephen... Laibach? Life is life!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Hehe, knew that Oscar would be posting at some point. :D
We've been hitting the bay area goth clubs since... well, I don't want to get into how long I've been doing it, too miserably pathetic. hehe
There are a series of message boards, web communities, etc., who are experts on the sort of music this thread is discussing. However I have purposely strayed from the knowledge of such things because I once hailed from da old school where speed, sex and death rock
were the primary motivators.
Feel good that the music intrigued you, because the scene kind of hinges on two things: the music and the style. And they intertwine of course. With the increasing electronic influences in goth (which are relatively new if you want to hearken back to the 70's), the styles are also becoming more electro-industrial.
Just remember...
[rant]Red blindking LED lights inserted into the mouth are not cool.
Friends don't let friends wear top hats[/rant]
...and you'll be just fine.
Joseph

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Anytime someone mentions the word "goth", I just have to throw in one name..... Type O Negative.

Check out their CD 'October Rust'. It's not fast techno, or industrial, but you will definitely like it if you are interested in slower, more heavy goth rock.

I literally wore my first copy out to the point of skipping. I'm on my second copy, now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks