1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Got a problem with a 15 year old hacker...help guys!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Derrik Draven, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Call the FBI. Let them deal with the little punk in their own way. He'll get a lesson he won't soon forget!

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Perhaps you need to describe the situation more specifically. I'm assuming your girlfriend's son lives with your girlfriend. If so, he may be just sharing directories on her computer (like the internet history, AIM logs, etc.) and then viewing them from his PC. Its a good idea to not share ANY folders on your PC that you dont intent to. Then, as others have stated, firewalls and routers can be used to secure/segregate the PC.

3. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I would have to agree with the above people. Get a reouter, Linksys or D-Link, and a scaner. I like Search and Destroy, it is free. Also, get Zone Alarm. I belive the personal, non Pro version, is still free. At least use it for the trial time, and see what is going out. If I remember right, both Ad-Aware, and Search and Destroy both look for key loggers.

Here are a few sites that talk about finding key logging programs:
    http://www.blazingtools.com/spy-software.html
    http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/ho...328867,00.html

It looks like they will just tell you what is running, and not get rid of it. But, once you know, you should be able to find out how to remove it via Google. Good luck.

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Derrik, do you really live in Montana? If so, then I think "He needed killing" is still a valid defense in a homicide case.

In case it isn't, I would do all that has been suggested above, plus I would advise your girlfriend to back up important stuff on removable media, and reformat/reinstall Windows.

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Joe S.
    Derrick,

As mentioned here, get a hardware firewall router and connect all the machines to that. They even come in wireless flavors if you want to get that upgrade for free. Software firewalls (like Zonealarm) and Hardware firewalls are not created equal, always use a hardware one when possible. Anything from D-link or Linksys is a good home networking choice and should keep you safe.

Also, be aware that most firewall routers come with the access password set to "admin". Be sure and change that password right away or any punk that knows to type "admin" can just defeat the firewall by logging in remotely. Once the admin password is changed and he doesn't know it, you are home free.

It doesn't matter what this kid is doing, a properly set up firewall will stop him dead in his tracks.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Joe S.
    Hehe, just saw this in the current deals section of HTF:

OfficeDepot - D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Wireless 2.4GHz Broadband Router for $15 After Rebates! (Posted by: Brian)
    I moved this deal from yesterday, but this is pretty hot. You can now get the D-Link wireless router for only $15 after the two rebates! If you have been looking for a wireless router, you should definitely get this right now. The rebates are going away on the 20th. Make sure you down them right NOW if you are going to buy the router because Office Depot has been taking away rebates hours after the deal is over.

Start by clicking here to get to the coupon page. Enter Code 92923224 for $15 off $75. Expires 12/31/2003. COUPON
    Click here and enter the D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Wireless 2.4GHz Broadband Router to your cart for $79.74. DLINK
    Here is the $20 rebate from D-Link. Send in the original UPC. Expires 9/20/03. REBATE1
    Here is the second rebate, $30 from Office Depot. Send in a copy of the UPC. Download this file before they take it off their system! Expires 9/20/03. REBATE2

Go get it Derrick! $15!!!

9. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

10. francisco-a

francisco-a Agent

Have you think in telling him that you are going to hit him very hard? That´s free and a fast solution.

Just a thought.

11. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Call the Police, he is doing something illegal and needs to be taught a lesson.

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

13. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Derrick- if you want to turn off remote desktop, go to control panels, system, the remote tab, and uncheck allow remote users to access this computer or whatever it says.

If you don't want this to be an ongoing problem, don't let him use any computers at your place. Or get your girlfriend to get some control over him, which seems unlikely given that this situation hasn't been resolved already.

14. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Would I be correct in assuming that he got her IP address and is just using that to get in?

Glenn

15. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

16. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

P.S.

I agree with Glenn... He probably isnt big time hacking... He just is probably getting in by some way like the IP address or something... It seems like he is doing this with the mothers computer only... If thats the case, this is definately family and personal related problems for whatever reason...

This doesnt sound like big time hacking to me or intentional crimal issues... This sounds like a depressed or angry teenager who is looking for some attention or trying to keep an eye on mom, but in a very bad way... I mean why the hell else would you be saying your doing this??? Thats not too bright... He could have easily just done it and not said anything... Thats why I think it's an attention issue...

Still, it's illegal and this should be done under no circumstances whatsoever... Many 15 years are like devils from hell... Some get better with age, some become wicked adults that everyone wants to throw over a mountaintop...

Raising any child is a gamble, because no matter how good or bad of a job you do, you will never truly know 100% how that person will turn out...

Some of it's in the raising, some of it's their personality, some genetics, and some is just plain luck...

17. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

18. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

19. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

Get the router with a built-in firewall, disable all port-forwarding, and be sure to change the admin password.

Then, wipe the HD on the PC, reinstall XP, and make sure to disable Remote Desktop. Also, set it up so it requires a password to get on the computer and don't let the kid have an account on the computer or any other access to it.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Guys, a word of caution, please do not continue the arm-chair psychoanalysis of the situation, it wasn't asked for, nor is it germane to the question at hand. If it (psychoanalyzing) continues, please just use the "report the post" icon on the offending post to have the matter dealt with, do not further engage/post on this tangent.