What's new

Got a problem with a 15 year old hacker...help guys! (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Perhaps you need to describe the situation more specifically. I'm assuming your girlfriend's son lives with your girlfriend. If so, he may be just sharing directories on her computer (like the internet history, AIM logs, etc.) and then viewing them from his PC. Its a good idea to not share ANY folders on your PC that you dont intent to. Then, as others have stated, firewalls and routers can be used to secure/segregate the PC.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
I would have to agree with the above people. Get a reouter, Linksys or D-Link, and a scaner. I like Search and Destroy, it is free. Also, get Zone Alarm. I belive the personal, non Pro version, is still free. At least use it for the trial time, and see what is going out. If I remember right, both Ad-Aware, and Search and Destroy both look for key loggers.

Here are a few sites that talk about finding key logging programs:
http://www.blazingtools.com/spy-software.html
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/ho...328867,00.html

It looks like they will just tell you what is running, and not get rid of it. But, once you know, you should be able to find out how to remove it via Google. Good luck.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
So the kid ends up talking to the router, and not the PC. Which is a far less interesting conversation.
But, can the kid see what websites are being visited since the pc behind the router is going to have to send the info through the router? Wouldn't it be kinda like sitting at the front door, so to speak, and seeing what comes out?

Anyhoo...thanks for all the info/tips you guys have given me! When I get my new pc, I think I'm going to upgrade from my old router to something with built in firewall protection. Any other info you guys can give, feel free! Thank you. :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Derrik, do you really live in Montana? If so, then I think "He needed killing" is still a valid defense in a homicide case.

In case it isn't, I would do all that has been suggested above, plus I would advise your girlfriend to back up important stuff on removable media, and reformat/reinstall Windows.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
But, can the kid see what websites are being visited since the pc behind the router is going to have to send the info through the router? Wouldn't it be kinda like sitting at the front door, so to speak, and seeing what comes out?
Not unless he's hacked into the ISP and can see the traffic traveling between your router and theirs, which is pretty unlikely.

Connecting your computer (especially a Windows box) directly to the Internet is a bad idea, because it has all kinds of ports and services open by default that can be exploited, and can run a wide variety of software -- both well-meaning (but insecure) and malicious. Part of this is bad design on MS's part, and part of it is that PC networking was designed primarily for the secure environment of the LAN, not the Wild West of the public Internet.

A hardware router/firewall, on the other hand, is a pretty secure little box, because it's single purpose (it doesn't run any programs other than itself) and specifically designed to be hard to mess with from the outside. There's really not a whole lot you can do to one.

Ryan

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Derrick,

As mentioned here, get a hardware firewall router and connect all the machines to that. They even come in wireless flavors if you want to get that upgrade for free. Software firewalls (like Zonealarm) and Hardware firewalls are not created equal, always use a hardware one when possible. Anything from D-link or Linksys is a good home networking choice and should keep you safe.

Also, be aware that most firewall routers come with the access password set to "admin". Be sure and change that password right away or any punk that knows to type "admin" can just defeat the firewall by logging in remotely. Once the admin password is changed and he doesn't know it, you are home free.

It doesn't matter what this kid is doing, a properly set up firewall will stop him dead in his tracks.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Hehe, just saw this in the current deals section of HTF:

OfficeDepot - D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Wireless 2.4GHz Broadband Router for $15 After Rebates! (Posted by: Brian)
I moved this deal from yesterday, but this is pretty hot. You can now get the D-Link wireless router for only $15 after the two rebates! If you have been looking for a wireless router, you should definitely get this right now. The rebates are going away on the 20th. Make sure you down them right NOW if you are going to buy the router because Office Depot has been taking away rebates hours after the deal is over.

Start by clicking here to get to the coupon page. Enter Code 92923224 for $15 off $75. Expires 12/31/2003. COUPON
Click here and enter the D-Link AirPlus DI-614+ Wireless 2.4GHz Broadband Router to your cart for $79.74. DLINK
Here is the $20 rebate from D-Link. Send in the original UPC. Expires 9/20/03. REBATE1
Here is the second rebate, $30 from Office Depot. Send in a copy of the UPC. Download this file before they take it off their system! Expires 9/20/03. REBATE2

Go get it Derrick! $15!!!

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Also, be aware that most firewall routers come with the access password set to "admin". Be sure and change that password right away or any punk that knows to type "admin" can just defeat the firewall by logging in remotely. Once the admin password is changed and he doesn't know it, you are home free.
Good advice. Even better would be just to turn off the remote admin capability completely, unless there's a need for it. You can still admin the box from any of the LAN ports. (Of course, you should change the default password either way.)

Ryan

francisco-a

Agent
Have you think in telling him that you are going to hit him very hard? That´s free and a fast solution.

Just a thought.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Call the Police, he is doing something illegal and needs to be taught a lesson.
agreed, even though this is a computer issue, it really isnt at all. however, how will this affect your relationship? your gf should be in support of this, or help you to get him to stop. action needs to be taken immediately, before this punk gets too much confidence...and not the type of action that keeps you one step ahead of him in the computer area.

CJ

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Derrick- if you want to turn off remote desktop, go to control panels, system, the remote tab, and uncheck allow remote users to access this computer or whatever it says.

If you don't want this to be an ongoing problem, don't let him use any computers at your place. Or get your girlfriend to get some control over him, which seems unlikely given that this situation hasn't been resolved already.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Have you think in telling him that you are going to hit him very hard? That´s free and a fast solution.
Works with some people... Could horribly backfire when trying it with others... They might just fight back... Especially at these teenager ages... If you really viciously attacked the person, they could fight back legally... And if they hate the person to begin with, it is a very good possibility...

The Stepfather figure is the most hated family figure in existance... Thats problem number 1... But, it doesnt have to be that way...

As for this... It needs to be stopped... I highly doubt Mom is going to run and call the FBI... Lets face it... Most parents are not turning their child in to the police or FBI... Most likely, this relationship would be down the gutter and over before you know it... People can say all they want to call the police, etc... But, it's not their kid, so it's very easy for them to say that... I doubt most of them if it was their kid would do it... They just say they would... Come across the problem personally and you may re-think that...

Is this kid only doing this with the mothers computer??? If so, it sounds more like personal and family issues to me... He is actually saying he does this??? That sounds kind of stupid to me... Sounds like he is looking for the mothers attention...

For the way this kid is talked about, I highly doubt you guys get along... Thats a problem as well... Did you know this women had kids before you started dating??? Did you meet the kid before you started dating??? If so, you kind of had to know what you were getting into... You also have to take some kind of responsibility as well when you date a women with children.... Did you at least try to get along???

But, it's still illegal and needs to be stopped... Have the kids computer taken away, send him to theorpy (sounds like all 3 of you should go. You for your obvious disliking towards jr which is a problem., your girlfriend for her flaky ways of letting the kid do whatever he wants and looking the other way, and the kid for acting out in this way and committing crimes), scare the hell out of him, cut him off from financial items, take away all his stuff...

It also seems like mom needs to take some control back... And at the age of 15, good luck... Your going to need it...

If nothing like that works, then maybe consider some other harsher alternatives like the jail visit...

I dont know... The FBI and Jail visits sound like a good idea on paper, but that could ruin the rest of someones life... I mean you might do something at 15 that you would never do or think about doing older...

But, at the same time if he gets away with this, he might go on to something higher, then higher, then higher... It just depends on the specific person...

But, it needs to be stopped and ASAP before things get worse...

P.S.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
P.S.

I agree with Glenn... He probably isnt big time hacking... He just is probably getting in by some way like the IP address or something... It seems like he is doing this with the mothers computer only... If thats the case, this is definately family and personal related problems for whatever reason...

This doesnt sound like big time hacking to me or intentional crimal issues... This sounds like a depressed or angry teenager who is looking for some attention or trying to keep an eye on mom, but in a very bad way... I mean why the hell else would you be saying your doing this??? Thats not too bright... He could have easily just done it and not said anything... Thats why I think it's an attention issue...

Still, it's illegal and this should be done under no circumstances whatsoever... Many 15 years are like devils from hell... Some get better with age, some become wicked adults that everyone wants to throw over a mountaintop...

Raising any child is a gamble, because no matter how good or bad of a job you do, you will never truly know 100% how that person will turn out...

Some of it's in the raising, some of it's their personality, some genetics, and some is just plain luck...

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
For the way this kid is talked about, I highly doubt you guys get along... Thats a problem as well... Did you know this women had kids before you started dating??? Did you meet the kid before you started dating??? If so, you kind of had to know what you were getting into... You also have to take some kind of responsibility as well when you date a women with children.... Did you at least try to get along???
Ummm...this is a little too fucking Oprah for me.

Been dating for 7 years. Kids NEVER lived with us...still don't. The 8 year old kid I met is not the disturbed, "father doesn't love me cause I'm gay" 15 year old kid that I know now. He has always lived with his spineless father and mother-in-law.

You can't mold a kid, as good as my g.f. is, when the kid visits a couple times a month, then goes back to his lameass dad who thinks that you solve problems by giving your kids money. Welcome to dysfunctional family; USA style.
Thank God my parents were great! :emoji_thumbsup: Nothing like a functional childhood!!!

Christ, I have some 15 year old kid, that I'm not related to, that I see maybe twice a month, snooping on our pc's and some jackoff is tellin me I need therapy due to my "obvious" dislike for the kid?!!? I dislike his lack of understanding of privacy; not him. .Link Removed

This concludes todays episode of the Orca Winfrey/Bob Newhart show.

How's that?!!?

Anyhoo...the router with built in firewall is the way I'm going and, definitely cutting off remote desktop!

Thanks guys, (the ones that gave technical advice, ie what I needed), the HTF comes through again! :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
send him to theorpy (sounds like all 3 of you should go
why? if a problem this small warrants therapy visits, then we are all in trouble. therapy is the weak person's way out of simple problems. i'm not saying therapy is useless, but it does have its place.

CJ

Mike Sogge

Stunt Coordinator
Get the router with a built-in firewall, disable all port-forwarding, and be sure to change the admin password.

Then, wipe the HD on the PC, reinstall XP, and make sure to disable Remote Desktop. Also, set it up so it requires a password to get on the computer and don't let the kid have an account on the computer or any other access to it.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Guys, a word of caution, please do not continue the arm-chair psychoanalysis of the situation, it wasn't asked for, nor is it germane to the question at hand. If it (psychoanalyzing) continues, please just use the "report the post" icon on the offending post to have the matter dealt with, do not further engage/post on this tangent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks