1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Got a problem with a 15 year old hacker...help guys!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Derrik Draven, Sep 17, 2003.

1. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

2. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

He must be useing the remote desktop built into XP. Try to disable it. Also, if she dosn't use chat, kill MSN Messenger. It can't hurt.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

4. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Hey guys, I got the scoop. He's going here http://www.h2kclan.com/. He is using the Optix Pro program.

Read through it a bit. DAMN!!!! That's one hell of a super Trojan someone wrote.

I knew this kid wasn't smart enough to do this himself. He's merely using other peoples knowledge, downloading this garbage, and sticking his nose where it doesn't belong

Okay, with that in mind, I have another question about firewalls. Looking through some of plethora of programs Optix Pro can tear through, among them is several firewalls BUT...they seem to all be software based firewalls. Is a program such as this, able to defeat hardware based firewalls? I was guessing that it's not. Otherwise, if crap like this can defeat hardware, what the hell can all of us do? We're at their mercy. [​IMG]

Thanks admin for keeping things on track! [​IMG]

Check out what Optix Pro can kill:
    Acceleration Software AV
    Anti-Trojan,
    AntiVir
    AntiVir (German)
    AntiViral Toolkit Pro
    AntiVirus ExPert 2000 (AVX) ( aka : Bitdefender )
    ANTS
    AnVir
    AT AVS
    avast!4 Home Edition
    avast!4 Professional Edition
    AVG
    AVG 6.0 Free Edition
    BitDefender ( aka : Anti-virus Expert )
    BullGuard
    Cheyenne AntiVirus
    Command
    Doctor Solomon AVS
    Doctor Web for Windows ( memory scanner )
    eScan Free
    eScorcher AntiVirus version 1.7
    eTrust Antivirus
    F-Prot Antivirus TM
    F-Secure
    G-Data AntiVirenKit ( German Program )
    German Process Viewer
    InoculateIT Personal Edition
    Integrity Master
    InVircible
    Kaspersky
    LockDown
    Lockdown Pro
    MailDefense Standard 3.0
    McAfee
    neolog
    NOD
    NOD32
    Norman
    Norton AntiVirus
    Panda
    Panda Antivirus
    Panda Antivirus 6.0 Platinum
    Panda Titanium
    PC Door Guard
    pc-cillin ( aka : TrendMicro Antivirus )
    PER Antivirus ( espanol language )
    PestPatrol
    Protector Plus Antivirus Software
    Quick Heal
    RAV
    SBABR 3.12
    SOLO
    Sophos
    Spy X
    Swat it
    Tauscan
    TDS
    T-FAK Trojan Remover
    The Cleaner
    TrendMicro
    Trojan Hunter 3.5
    Trojan Remover
    Trojan Scan Engine
    TrojanCheck 6
    TrojanHunter
    Vexira
    Vexira Antivirus
    ViRobot Expert
    VirusBuster
    VirusNet PC
    wild file goback
    WinRoute pro 4.2

FIREWALL : ( 35 firewall )
    ===========================

3B Personal Firewall Pro
    Agnitum Outpost Free
    Agnitum Outpost PRO
    Armor2net Personal Firewall
    AtGuard
    BlackIce
    ConSeal PC Firewall
    Deerfield Personal Firewall
    eTrust Firewall
    GData Firewall
    German Process Viewer
    Kaspersky Anti Hacker 1.0
    Kerio Firewall
    Lockdown Pro/free
    LookNStop
    mcafee firewall
    McAfee Internet Security
    Net Barrier firewall
    Net Protect
    Norton firewall
    Outpost Firewall
    Panda (Built-In)
    PC Cillin 2003 personal firewall
    Pc-Cillin (Built-In)
    Private Firewall 3
    Sphinx
    Steganos Online Shield
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    sygate personal pro
    TGB::BOB! Firewall Personnel v 2.31E
    Tiny Personal Firewall
    WinGate
    Winroute
    WinXP Firewall
    Zonealarm Pro/free

5. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I wouldn't think that it could get thru a hardware firewall. When they try to "hack" into the IP address, it is going into the router/firewall. Not the PC itself. All of the PC's behind the fire wall will have a 192.168.x.x IP address. The router will have the IP address that your ISP provides to it. Even if it can get past the router, it will still have to install a program that runs on your PC. Take a look in the processes that are running, and look for anything weird. Look it up on Google to see what it does. Don't just kill anything strange looking.

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

I'd think a hardware firewall would stand up to something like that.

According to an article I found here, this thing works by using port 3410, and "ending the processes belonging to certain firewalls." You can't "end the process" of a hardware firewall. The best you could do would be to write some sort of script to log into the firewall using http and change its settings. But if you changed the default password on the firewall, that shouldn't be a problem.

Congrats on finding it!

Ryan

7. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Yup, the only way this could work now is if the kid has unfettered access to the computer after you get the hardware firewall, gets in there somehow (which he should only be able to do from your network), and forwards port 3410 and/or whatever else it uses to a specific machine.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Joe S.
    Derrick,

Like a couple of folks have said here, software firewalls != hardware firewalls. A hardware firewall physically hides all the computers behind it from the internet, they can see the IP of the firewall but that is it. A software firewall still lets them see the IP of thge machine running it, and once a hacker can see your computer, you are vulnerable no matter what protection you are running. Or let me put it this way: every software firewall runs on top of the Windows OS and how much do you trust windows? A hardware firewall is fairly OS independent, just get one and never look back.

9. JasonRuiz

JasonRuiz Auditioning

As so may before have stated, you should be running a firewall. I hate to say it but people who don't run firewalls are pretty much asking for intrusion...there are so many scripts out there that let anyone with even the most basic knowledge to gain remote access it's funny. Secondly....why is this being posted to a HTPC forum, aren't there apporpriate places for that? There are several forums on the topic of computer security..I think ANY ONE of them would be a much better place to post topics like these.

IF you don't want to bother learning how to set up a hardware firewall, look into downloading ZoneAlarm, there's a free version online (Don't know how good it is as I use the pro version but I hear it's more than adaquete)

10. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Again, thanks alot for the input, boys! [​IMG] I've learned alot of REALLY good info here.

Annnnnnnd...I'm posting this while safely surfing behind my brand new Linksys firewall/router. Talk about easy to setup. I even have my Xbox safely behind "The Wall".

Now I'm trying to educate myself on all the 'net terminology and exactly how it works. All those logs to read through...firewall/incoming/outgoing/system. I'm just going to have to learn exactly what I'm looking at when I read those reports.

Being an aircraft technician, I thought WE had a ridiculous amount of acronyms, but all that "netspeak", tcp/dhcp/ip/udp/vpn, ect...sheesh!!!! [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip on changing the admin password. That was done immediately.