Good receivers for $350-$400 or less?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianShort, Nov 30, 2002.

1. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I currently have a Kenwood receiver. I don't remember the model number, but it's the one that came with the Kenwood HTB-502 home theater in a box. At the time, I think it sold seperately for around $200 - $300, but I dont really remember. I've since upgraded all of the speakers... I have Polk RT-35i's for mains, a 245i for the Center, and RT10's for the surrounds. My sub is a Klipsch KSW-12. The sub was a huge improvement over the sub that came with the HTB-502, though with the speakers, the difference wasnt as big as I was expecting, though I'd imagine if I ever hooked up all the old speakers, I'd hear the difference right away [​IMG] I'm sort of like that sometimes, I dont always appriceate the difference until I go back to the old for a bit.
    Anyway... would it be worth upgrading to a new receiver in this price range? Would I really hear a big improvement in sound? Or should I wait until I can afford something a bit bigger/better/more powerful? This question is probably moot anyway, as I shouldnt really even spend $300 on a piece of hardware... but it's something I was considering recently, so I thought I'd ask.
    Brian

2. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Last year I bought a Kenwood (VR 510? It was a THX one...), anyway, it only lasted about a week in my house partly due to sound, but also because of the goofy remote.
    Long story short, I tried slightly pricier Denon and Yamaha models, and ended up with the Yammy.
    I used to think that a receiver was a receiver, and that the only difference was features...but they do sound different, and some will sound better than others. Often it is a subtle difference, sometimes less so.
    The Denon 1803 is listed here for $379...