What's new

Good receivers for $350-$400 or less? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I currently have a Kenwood receiver. I don't remember the model number, but it's the one that came with the Kenwood HTB-502 home theater in a box. At the time, I think it sold seperately for around $200 - $300, but I dont really remember. I've since upgraded all of the speakers... I have Polk RT-35i's for mains, a 245i for the Center, and RT10's for the surrounds. My sub is a Klipsch KSW-12. The sub was a huge improvement over the sub that came with the HTB-502, though with the speakers, the difference wasnt as big as I was expecting, though I'd imagine if I ever hooked up all the old speakers, I'd hear the difference right away :) I'm sort of like that sometimes, I dont always appriceate the difference until I go back to the old for a bit.
Anyway... would it be worth upgrading to a new receiver in this price range? Would I really hear a big improvement in sound? Or should I wait until I can afford something a bit bigger/better/more powerful? This question is probably moot anyway, as I shouldnt really even spend $300 on a piece of hardware... but it's something I was considering recently, so I thought I'd ask.
Brian

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Last year I bought a Kenwood (VR 510? It was a THX one...), anyway, it only lasted about a week in my house partly due to sound, but also because of the goofy remote.
Long story short, I tried slightly pricier Denon and Yamaha models, and ended up with the Yammy.
I used to think that a receiver was a receiver, and that the only difference was features...but they do sound different, and some will sound better than others. Often it is a subtle difference, sometimes less so.
The Denon 1803 is listed here for $379...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks