What's new

Good reason to wear a seatbelt (1 Viewer)

david stark

Second Unit

Totally agree. Same thing with motor bike helmets, it's personal choice and doesn't harm anyone but yourself.

In some places wearing a seat belt is an insult to the driver as you are saying "I think you are going to crash so I'll put my seatbelt on". I got into a cab in Barcelona with some friends and they guy in the front belted up and the driver leant over and ejected the seatbelt so there was somewhat of a minor squabble which resulted in my mate putting the seat belt on again and fending the drivers hands off it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
BTW go frame by frame and watch the G forces at the bottom. In less than a quarter of a second it can jump 3 or 4 g's

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
My friend's husband, who I hated, got in an accident and he never wore his seatbelt. Ripped off both his thumbs trying to hold on to the steering wheel. He was going 35 MPH.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I resisted when I was younger but over time I learned that it is always always best to wear your seatbelt. I've been fortunate to only have been in some minor accidents as a passenger (I don't drive) and like Patrick said once you get used to it, not having it on seems just odd.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I always wear my seatbelt so it's kind of ironic that because of someone not wearing a seatbelt that I'm here today.

My dad, when he was 17, was going home from a party. He was very tired and, although he didn't say it, probably drunk. He fell asleep at the wheel and drifted off the highway. His car hit a concrete barrier on an overpass at about 60 to 70 miles per hour. Because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, he was ejected from the car. He suffered nothing more than a broken nose. When he got back to the car, he couldn't believe how lucky he was. Where he had been sitting, the steering wheel had come off and gone right through the seat. If he would have been sitting there with his seatbelt on, he would have died instantaneously of massive chest injuries. Now he wears his seatbelt, although sometimes, I have to tell him to do it.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Based on some of the comments, is it not required by law to wear a seatbelt in the US? Over here by law and common sense you have to wear a seatbelt heck it is almost common practice to put on a seatbelt before you even start the engine. Just something taught since childhood. Anyone who refuses to wear a seatbelt is just asking to turn a mild accident into something fatal.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Patrick completely when he says "WEAR YOUR SEATBELT WHEN YOU RIDE AND DRIVE!

Brent
:)

(Admin Note - Edited original quoted text)

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
I can't remember the quote exactly, but a Chicago doctor was talking about people wearing helmets when riding motorcycles and proclaimed, "The purpose of a helmet is to protect the brain from injury. Obviously some people have more to protect than others."

All the states have different laws regarding the use or non-use of the death penalty (not just about whether or not to do it, but when and how) and you think we'd be consistent about the use or non-use of seatbelts? 'Tis to laugh. :)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I would be interested in knowing of the subject of the video was ok

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually, I think the point of the dashcam is to increase wreckless driving, and decrease reckless driving. :)

The poster girl for seatbelt use (and for deflating idiotic conspiracy theories) should be Princess Diana. There were four people in the car that night. Three died, one survived. The survivor was the second closest to the point of impact, but he was also the only one of the four to be wearing a seatbelt. The two furtherest from the point of impact did not wear seatbelts, and died as a result. (And therefore had to be part of any conspiracy, because if they'd just had the good sense to buckle up, there's almost no chance they would have died. That's what makes car crashes such a lousy way of covering up a murder. Their outcomes are too unpredictable.)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks