What's new

Going to try PS4 Virtual Reality: Please Help (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
CraigF - I would recommend getting VR Worlds if you can find it cheap. I paid the full price when it came out and that was definitely a bit much. The experiences are cool and a good showpiece for people to see but not worth more than like $20.

Ron - still curious to hear more about your headphone situation. Which ones are you using and have you gotten the volume issue resolved?

Glad to hear you're enjoying your VR unit! My brother tried mine out at a party last year and was so blown away that he wanted to go buy one immediately. He didn't end up doing that, but he's remained on the cusp of getting a PS4 and VR whenever the price is low enough. Oh, and if you enjoyed The Heist (in VR Worlds), that studio is making a full James Bond-style game in that vein.

All - in regards to 3D stuff, I played a bunch of PS3 games in 3D and always found that the reduced resolution or graphical performance (LG passive 3DTV, meaning one 540x1960p image to each eye) was completely covered up by the added depth of 3D. So on the PSVR, even games that aren't phenomenal graphically still look amazing. However, I can see why 3D movies/videos aren't as impressive.

Actually, on that note, check out the 3D section of the YouTube app. There are some neat short films on there that you can experience in VR. The video quality isn't perfect but they're really neat, and it's the only way to really experience these.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yeah, the VR is so immersive that unless I'm consciously looking for it, I don't notice the reduced resolution.

I'm gonna have to investigate this "PS helmet with Steam VR" thingamabob. . .

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yeah, the VR is so immersive that unless I'm consciously looking for it, I don't notice the reduced resolution.

I'm gonna have to investigate this "PS helmet with Steam VR" thingamabob. . .
Hey Aaron. Not saying its a snap to set up but it seems doable. Check this Youtube video out:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Lots of great games in VR

Right now I’m climbing Mt Everest!!

So awesome. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ron

Did you buy the Best Buy extended warranty?

I believe it’s only $59.99 and completely worth it. Two years to return it for any reason for a full refund.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can't you plug your wired headset into the visor earphone and control the volume from there? Or do you need your receiver to properly drive your headphones?

Lou,

Yes. At first, I couldn't find the volume control. However, there is a dial on the headset to adjust microphone and headset volume.

Ron

Did you buy the Best Buy extended warranty?

I believe it’s only $59.99 and completely worth it. Two years to return it for any reason for a full refund.

No. I blew my cash on xtra games

The X-Wing VR mission, which is a free download for owners of the original Battlefront game (which you can get for under $10), lasts about 20-30 minutes. As someone who grew up on Star Wars and has been playing video games since before the original movie came out, I have to say that this is probably the BEST half hour in the HISTORY of video games. I cannot overstate how fantastic of an experience it was to be flying an X-Wing into VR battle. If the developers simply ported the old X-Wing PC game to PS VR, I'd have to take a sabbatical from my job.

Okay, maybe I should be getting Battlefront. You say it's an hour of gameplay?

Welcome to the discussion, Aaron.

Yesterday, when I decided to bite and buy one of these, plus a Pro (no good reason, I know I don't need it), nobody anywhere near me (of BB and WM) has the PSVR/Skyrim in stock. And BB won't allow reservations, so I take a chance on driving to a "far away" store, best to order online I guess. This is a popular item (because of the updated headset I assume), there were plenty in stores last Friday (BF).

Should I get the Worlds disc too?

Congrats! Keep us posted on how you like your setup.

Yes, get WORLDS. There are at least two great demos on there and the disc was only $10 at BestBuy (though not as of this moment). You may get it through the Playstation online store for next to nothing.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't implying your post was suggesting this, I was more responding to Edwins statement:

I ended up retrieving my old Samsung D550 from Silicon Heaven, also known as my B-I-L and sister's house, for watching 3D flicks, so I'm back to being undecided on this. I started thinking I would rather get a new personal laptop to replace my failed Sager. I have been checking out pricing on an Alienware 17 gaming laptop. Unfortunately, to get it anywhere near the level I would like, at least 4K gaming, the price was 3500 Canadian, taxes and shipping in.

So now I'm undecided on whether to buy a new laptop or desktop gaming rig or try my had at building one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ron

You can still buy the extended warranty up to 15 days (45 days if you are an elite plus member) after your purchase.

You can do it at any Best Buy.

I strongly suggest you do it if you can.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah the Star Wars Battlefront VR mission is definitely one of the best experiences on the system

Amazing.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A coworker bought Battlefront solely for the VR mission and said it wasn't just available to access easily. He said you need to make an EA Origin account and connect online and stuff in order to get to it. Is that true?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A coworker bought Battlefront solely for the VR mission and said it wasn't just available to access easily. He said you need to make an EA Origin account and connect online and stuff in order to get to it. Is that true?
I don’t think so. You do have to be online to download the VR mission.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I ended up retrieving my old Samsung D550 from Silicon Heaven, also known as my B-I-L and sister's house, for watching 3D flicks, so I'm back to being undecided on this. I started thinking I would rather get a new personal laptop to replace my failed Sager. I have been checking out pricing on an Alienware 17 gaming laptop. Unfortunately, to get it anywhere near the level I would like, at least 4K gaming, the price was 3500 Canadian, taxes and shipping in.

So now I'm undecided on whether to buy a new laptop or desktop gaming rig or try my had at building one.

IMO/E: build one. You'll smoke any gaming laptop with even a modest build, for perhaps half the cost of what you said. It all comes down to heat management: the bigger the box, the more heat you can generate and the easier/cheaper it is to get it out. Heat = (gaming) power, more or less. If you're not sure what you're doing, use a known recipe and do not deviate until you get that working. And one of the main benefits of using a standard purchased motherboard is they're much more flexible/upgradeable than what you typically get in a pre-built box (though some are pretty good). It's pretty easy to do these days. I don't pay real close attention, but memory (and even some storage) devices seem more expensive throughout this year, I haven't done a build since January.

I am quite interested that the PSVR can be used with a PC, that is exciting news to me. I don't expect it to be as "integrated" an experience as with a PS4, but that is definitely a big selling feature for the PSVR *to me*. It's actually more the type of "tech experience" that appeals to me rather than just hooking up a bunch of stuff to the PS4 in a simple-to-do pre-defined manner. The possibility of failure excites me...a challenge. Besides, can always use the PS4.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

No, that isn't true. You just have to log into the PS Store and download it, then run Battlefront and select the VR mission from the menu.

The issue you may run into is that there are recent updates (to the main game) that it has to install, and they can take a long time. When you run the game, it puts you into this single-player scenario where you are Darth Vader fighting endless waves of rebels in the Hoth base, waiting for the full game to update itself. You get no indication at all of the status of the update, and it can take hours. Very confusing and annoying.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Apologies for being so pedantic, but what's the "official" name of this Best Buy extended warranty that Tino keeps speaking of? I've never heard of such a thing in Canada, so want to ask at the BB here if they have something similar. I imagine they'd offer it if they had it, since it sounds like it would be more expensive than other offerings...

Oh yeah: they didn't have Worlds in stock, but thanks for the recs, will get it eventually, I guess a lot of people bought it with their new PSVR.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Apologies for being so pedantic, but what's the "official" name of this Best Buy extended warranty that Tino keeps speaking of? I've never heard of such a thing in Canada, so want to ask at the BB here if they have something similar. I imagine they'd offer it if they had it, since it sounds like it would be more expensive than other offerings...

Oh yeah: they didn't have Worlds in stock, but thanks for the recs, will get it eventually, I guess a lot of people bought it with their new PSVR.
Its called an extended warranty here in the US. Not sure about Canada.

That’s it.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Its called an extended warranty here in the US. Not sure about Canada.

That’s it.

Thanks for getting back Tino. But it's a moot point here in Canada, and especially so for the circumstances you used for your PSVRs. I know there are probably only a few people from Canada reading this thread, for now, but Best Buy Canada does not allow the return of anything "wearable". This specifically includes the PSVR, big red stickers to that point on the boxes in the stores, so their website is in fact correct re this point. BB still have none of the Skyrim bundles in local stores, nobody else does either.

Maybe Walmart here allows returns, they will if anyone does. I was wondering all this stuff because if nobody here allows returns, might as well get it faster from amazon (edit: so that's where I decided to order it...alleged Saturday arrival).

FWIW the included headset version is printed on the bottom of the boxes. None of the other bundles have the newer headsets, least in Canada, possibly the Doom one next week will, but apparently no Moves in that bundle and I might as well get them. So I have everything I don't need for my VR foray, including a Pro and two new controllers (my other controller is the crippled "original" type).

Last edited:

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I hear ya Craig. Fellow Canuck here. One of many reasons, I never buy extended warranties - especially for electronics.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam,

Early adopters are always early adopters, with benefits and concerns that I think they recognize. Let me say, that the PSVR is a pretty solid experience. It is also not wildly expensive for that experience. Taking 2 kids to the movies over the weekend, I dropped $100 easy ($14.25 per ticket=56, food stuff, etc.) So, the concept of spending $400 on PSVR isn't as wild an expense as you'd think.

Let's just say, my PSVR is far more useful than, say, my AppleWatch :)

That said, you don't buy it because it is mainstream. Hell, despite thoughts, things like the IphoneX and Note8 aren't mainstream, either.. they are high end experiences for some buyers.. it's the same reason why I went with a 4K sony projector when they were hot and new; if I worried about "hey, something else is coming soon.." I could have done that, but then, this really isn't so much of a site aimed at people who wait for mainstream products ;)

We are all early adopters, for the most part ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks