What's new

Going to try PS4 Virtual Reality: Please Help (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sam, It sounds like you expect me to be disappointed.

I'd never set anyone up for preconceived notions like that. If this is interesting to you go nuts with it and don't listen to what anyone has to say about it other than yourself, especially someone like me. I'm -surprised- you are interested in it as a non gamer, but NOT surprised because you love gadgets and being an early adopter.

What I'm saying is is that I can't personally recommend anyone BUT early adopters jump in at this point. The tech is fun but finicky. I think the PSVR the perfect choice of the 3 for you, and think you will have many great impressions. Enjoy it!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Does e.g. GameStop in the U.S. allow demoing the PSVR stuff? Their Canadian operation, EBGames, generally doesn't as far as I can tell. In fact, I was surprised the other day to see they had a PS4 up and playing Skyrim. They generally never have any consoles working in the store I usually go to, but they have another store right across the street that typically has some kid's games working. [It reminded me that just before I started playing Skyrim, relatively recently, I asked here whether I should play the PS3 version I already owned, or get the PS4 version. People said to go PS4 version for the better graphics, but I went with what I already had...should have listened lol, but I didn't think I'd like the game anyway.]

The comment I wheedled out of one of the guys who works there is that there will be no PSVR demoing supposedly for liability reasons, and that they don't really have enough room. If there's one system that needs to allow demos...or maybe they think it'll hurt sales if I'm being cynical? To be fair, the other two places I've waffled on the PSVR bundles, WM and BB, don't have demoing either locally.

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Good point, but...I need the demo. I can get disoriented/bothered by some types of VR stuff, seems to depend on the headset format, a personal thing. Mostly it's that my head gets hot and there's some pressure that gives me a headache. If you go to "high-end" headphone places, they have alcohol wipes for the fastidious. Also at work, for the earmuffs visitors get. But yeah, a bunch of snotty-nosed kids... :)

You know, if you hadn't said it, I never would have thought of that. Now I'm disgusted (lice!). The guy at "GameStop" should have just said that, and then I would have understood/been satisfied. It's certainly going to attract the kids.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PSVR has been out for over a year, so at this point they are past in-store demos. When it was around the time of release, Best Buy and some other stores had in-store demos, but they were only for limited times, they were run by a Sony rep (they cleaned the headsets between players), and I think you needed to schedule a time slot for some of them (though that may have been the Oculus or Vive demos).

I don't think they are running any in-store demos anymore. Maybe at a Sony store, but there's not many of them and even then I'd doubt it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They never ran demos at the local Best Buy in my town. It was buy, not try, only.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I did a bunch of looking around online and I think most of my concerns about the headset fit are set to rest. I'm weird about stuff pressing on my nose area... Also people who wear glasses report excellent results. I don't know if I would or wouldn't wear glasses with the unit, but generally I like to when watching TV so assume I would with this too.

Another Q for those who have one: can you just use the headset for the video and use your regular HT sound system for the audio? i.e. not use the earbuds. Is this a really stupid question?

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Ron when you get it all set up, your first experience needs to be 'Playstation VR Worlds - Ocean Descent'. This one has the wow factor that sold me. And it's just a slow ride you are on, you don't have to do anything but sit still and take it all in. It's an incredible experience.

So far I haven't seen anything indicating the typical 'lack of support' from Sony. They appear to be all in on this. The updated model shows they are interested in making it easier to use and fixing issues people complain about like the lack of HDR passthrough in the original version. New software releases continue to come in, and there are a lot of ports of games from Occulus and Vive, so those markets are fueling the PSVR market as well.

I certainly would NOT recommend someone buying this only for 3D Movie playback. It's more like watching a 3D DVD than a blu-ray. Normal tv 3d viewing is infinitely better.

One future title that I am really excited about is 'Moss' there is a demo of it if you download the new PSVR Demo Disc Vol 2 from the store for free. This game will be amazing if it turns out to be a full length game and not just a 2 hour tech demo.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Another Q for those who have one: can you just use the headset for the video and use your regular HT sound system for the audio? i.e. not use the earbuds. Is this a really stupid question?

Yes you can. The VR setup does not in any way interfere with the audio output. The earbuds do however use 3D audio which makes the sounds come at you in relation to where your head is turned. I don't think the regular audio does that. Also just having the sound directly in your ear adds to the immersion level.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you have just the headset on and use your sound system for audio (instead of ear buds), then the surround sound in your room will represent the audio correctly. The 3D audio of the earbuds is meant to mimic the effect of a surround sound system.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And they have a no-return policy if you decide to buy it and try it even now.
This is not true at all. Standard return policies apply. Up to 45 days if you are an elite plus member.

Actually I purchased the release bundle last October and purchased the extended warranty. I was able to return the headset today and was refunded my entire $534 purchase price and then purchased the updated headset with Skyrim VR for $350.00!!

LOVE Best Buy. :thumbsup:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
This is not true at all. Standard return policies apply. Up to 45 days if you are an elite plus member.

I am a Canadian who was replying to another Canadian re what he said about BB. CS is *very* different in Canada vs the U.S., even for American companies in Canada. BB here is pretty clear that if you open/use the PSVR, there are no returns. But I don't know the real fact of it of course. To me, it seems reasonable that if you open the included game in the bundle, then there are no returns, that's standard I think, but that's not what they say.

Edit: I called the nearest store and they say this should qualify as a gaming accessory (because it is?) and should be returnable opened as long as the game itself is sealed. Maybe common sense prevails. I wouldn't return it anyway, was just mentioning that aspect because it was in my mind, I have a basement full of electronic toys that didn't pan out or ran their course, you may visit the museum by appointment...

Last edited:

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
If you have just the headset on and use your sound system for audio (instead of ear buds), then the surround sound in your room will represent the audio correctly. The 3D audio of the earbuds is meant to mimic the effect of a surround sound system.

Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping. I know Ron has a good sound setup, and you have to think that it would be better than dual earbuds in any circumstance. Louder if nothing else, and sometimes loud+bass=good when all else fails.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I am a Canadian who was replying to another Canadian re what he said about BB. CS is *very* different in Canada vs the U.S., even for American companies in Canada. BB here is pretty clear that if you open/use the PSVR, there are no returns. But I don't know the real fact of it of course. To me, it seems reasonable that if you open the included game in the bundle, then there are no returns, that's standard I think, but that's not what they say.

Edit: I called the nearest store and they say this should qualify as a gaming accessory (because it is?) and should be returnable opened as long as the game itself is sealed. Maybe common sense prevails. I wouldn't return it anyway, was just mentioning that aspect because it was in my mind, I have a basement full of electronic toys that didn't pan out or ran their course, you may visit the museum by appointment...
Sorry. I was of course referring to B.B. policies here in the States. But that’s BS. Policy should be the same with you guys.

Always inquire about extended warranties and what they cover.

In my case $59.99 saved me almost $200.00

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Sorry. I was of course referring to B.B. policies here in the States. But that’s BS. Policy should be the same with you guys.

Always inquire about extended warranties and what they cover.

In my case $59.99 saved me almost $200.00

No prob, I realize I'm in a minority location and don't expect people to remember, so I usually try to mention that if relevant but sometimes I forget.

[Edit: in defense of the bestbuy.ca website saying no opened returns, it's possible they thought the game in the Canadian PSVR Skyrim bundle wasn't (isn't?) sealed and that could have been the reason, it's a new product after all.]

When you say "last October", do you mean last month, or 2016? If you mean Oct. 2016, then that's amazing BB CS, no wonder you love them, I can't imagine such a thing happening here. Unless of course the product failed under the extended warranty protection and they allowed you to upgrade.

So this PSVR will work just fine with a plain-jane/original PS4? I get the impression it would be good enough. I almost bought the PSVR last time it was on sale around here, a couple months ago I think when I was pondering a Switch for the same price. Good thing I didn't as the newer PSVR headset wiring sounds a lot more convenient for my usage scenario/system. Yeah, I'm back to using the Pio plasma for all my viewing/gaming, no 4K/3D OLED anymore.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am hooking up the virtual reality system this evening. In just two hours, actually.

One thing is scaring me....

It seems some product is being phased out.

Amazon games I order suddenly are becoming unavailable (they canceled two orders on me). Farpoint bundles are not available from them directly (something I am looking at buying in the future).

BestBuy is clearing out games, it seems. Some are unavailable.

I just want to be sure that Sony isn't silently phasing out this product. I know they sold over a million units last year, but since then, I don't know how well VR has been selling for them.

....and yes, I am aware that new titles are due to be announced.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I certainly would NOT recommend someone buying this only for 3D Movie playback. It's more like watching a 3D DVD than a blu-ray. Normal tv 3d viewing is infinitely better.

God, I hope that wasn't the implication I was putting out there.. I'm just saying.. it is definitely a different experience. I don't know if I would say a TV is infinitely better (or worse), it is just different. Watching 3D BD on PSVR is just something you should try if you have it; I found it interesting experience in comparison to watching on my TV. That's all.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So to be clear here, the only way to get the v2 headset is with the Skyrim bundle that includes everything and sells for significantly more that other bundles? (Thing is, I already have 2 move controllers and wouldn't need any more). Also, is room space an issue? My "mancave" is wide but narrow when it comes to my sofa and display.

Users who are viewing this thread