What's new

Going to try PS4 Virtual Reality: Please Help (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
A friend at work has been raving about PS4 VR

I already own a PS4, but I understand the PRO is even better at creating the best VR experience.

I am going to need some quick answers as there is a Black Friday sale on right now.

First, I don't want to spend a crapload of money on a high-end VR system. The PS4 Pro seems like the best way to go, even though I own the standard PS4.

I can get a PS4 Pro on Black Friday for $350

Next, I have to get the bundle. Which one should I go for?

• PlayStation VR Skyrim Bundle $350 (Reg. $450)
    • Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, GameStop
    • Bundle Includes PS VR headset, PlayStation Camera, two PlayStation Move controllers, and Skyrim VR game.
  • PlayStation VR Gran Turismo Sport Bundle $299 (Reg. $400)

And finally, is this stuff as good as it sounds it will be?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm also curious about this. My coworker raves about it, and my wife already has a PS4, so this seems actually doable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Josh,

Let's hope we get some member feedback.

I really want to know if the VR is worth it and which VR bundle has the best VR title/experience

Also, recommendations for additional VR title purchases.

I am willing to spend the money for a new PS4 if the Pro makes it more worthwhile, which reviews suggest it does.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of the main things stopping me from buying the Playstation VR system, other than price (499 in Canada), is that the resolution of the screens in the headset are 720p, while the bare minimum standard for true HD is 1080p in the present environment.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I own the PS4 VR

I LOVE IT

I would suggest buying the VR world bundle or Skyrim bundle as you will need the motion controllers for a more immersive experience.

So many great games

Resident Evil 7. You can play the whole game in VR

Rush Of Blood. A horror Rollercoaster game that is amazing

Farpoint..a shooter set on an alien world with a giant Spiders!

Arizona Sunshine...killing zombies in the desert

So many more...many free demos and even a few games

Drawbacks
Resolution is not that great. I would say it’s DVD quality.

Motion sickness
RE7 really got me sick. I can only play for an hour at a time. Play with the controls to see what Best suits you. But it’s a great immersive game.

The head seat is a bit bulky and lots of wires.

Ask away guys for any specific questions.

Btw Ron where can you get s PS4 pro for $350?

Ok looking to upgrade as I use the standard PS4.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
One of the main things stopping me from buying the Playstation VR system, other than price (499 in Canada), is that the resolution of the screens in the headset are 720p, while the bare minimum standard for true HD is 1080p in the present environment.

Edwin,

That is my concern as well. However, it seems this is the absolute cheapest way to get into VR. I don't have a computer that can handle VR, and going that route, I can easily spend twice as much.

From what I hear from my friends, the graphics are not bad at all --- good enough to give you the immersive experience you desire.

Perhaps Tino can shed more light.

Added: Also a question if you can use any existing noise-canceling Bluetooth headset with the Pro

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The graphics are fine. Sure they could be better but the level of immersion is terrific

Too bad there isn’t a kiosk somewhere for you to try it out

A great thing about buying it at B.B. Ron is that if you are unhappy for any reason you have until mid January to return it for a full refund.

I paid full price and don’t regret it for a moment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And finally, is this stuff as good as it sounds it will be?
Yes :)

Last year, friends gave my wife and I a demo of their PS4 Pro and VR set — they bought launch night.

Even my wife was wowed. It was a really fun experience. (The caveat was for us the ear buds didn’t fit well.)

I think for you — who likes to have the latest tech and experience the consumer state of the art — this is about the most interesting and novel toy you can buy right now.

The two games we played were:
"Thumper Game | PS4 - PlayStation" https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/thumper-ps4/
Thumper was a surprisingly engaging rhythm game. I got totally sucked in and could have spent the night playing it.

"Eagle Flight™ Game | PS4 - PlayStation" https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/eagle-flight-ps4/
This was a killer demo for both of us. Flying freely over a future vision of Paris, lost to nature. Gorgeous and exhilarating without being a bleak slog through a nihilistic murder simulator. A perfect demo for all ages and tastes.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sigh!

This better be good. I just dropped about $850

Some details...

Sony PS4 Pro 1TB $349: Bought from BestBuy. Should be here Tuesday as I paid for expedited shipping.

Sony VR Bundle with Skyrim $349: Bought from Amazon. I didn't want Skyrim, but all the other bundles with camera and controllers are unavailable. HOWEVER, and THIS IS IMPORTANT: This bundle supposedly contains the just newly released revised headset with HDMI pass-through and allows earbuds to be able to be placed in headset.

All kinds of games ranging from $9 to $20:

Batman Arkham
Worlds
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

Oh...and a 1-year Playstation Membership for $40 via Amazon sale. I hear you can get VR games for cheap or free once a member

Now I have to look at the games that Dave just mentioned.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ron

Until Dawn ROB Is FREE on PS plus membership RIGHT NOW.

And I was just gonna suggest the Skyrim bundle because it includes the new VR headset which supports HDR passthru. The old one (that I have) does NOT. IT does support HDMI tho. HDR passthru is what is New.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congrats. I hope you enjoy and get a lot of use out of it. I'm still concerned that PS VR could end up following the pattern of a lot of console peripherals and end up being orphaned when the novelty wears off. I hope that does not happen though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron

Until Dawn ROB Is FREE on PS plus membership RIGHT NOW.

And I was just gonna suggest the Skyrim bundle because it includes the new VR headset which supports HDR passthru. The old one (that I have) does NOT. IT does support HDMI tho. HDR passthru is what is New.

I have no idea what the HDR passthru is all about, so forgive me for calling it otherwise.

I am glad I was able to get the new headset.

I have made a huge investment in this thing so I hope it brings me a great deal of enjoyment. Judging from your responses thus far, I think I will like it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
HDR refers to 4K content. When you upgrade to 4K you’ll be happy you bought the updatedPS VR.

Really hope you enjoy it. Let us know.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Congrats! You may find that Skyrim is a lot better than you think it is. Well, that's how it turned out for me anyway. I can see it looking pretty good in a VR situation, it looks very nice in 1080p (I have the 720p version). That you were "forced" to choose that particular bundle is a very lucky circumstance all-round (game and tech) IMO.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The reviews for Skyrim VR all pretty much agree it’s the best and worst way to play it.

The graphics and resolution are severely diminished in VR but you get that great immersion. Whether it’s a fair trade off is up to the viewer.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw Ron ordered the same bundles you did.

PS4 pro
Skyrim Vr Bundle (mostly for the new updated headset).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have the PS4 and PS VR. Enjoy both immensely. A few notes:

-The regular PS4 and the PS4 Pro are both capable of outputting HDR color but only the Pro can do 4K resolution
-Not all games are made better by playing them on the Pro vs. the regular PS4, as in not all games have 4K modes, HDR color, or even run better/have shorter loading times/stutter less/etc.
-Not all VR games play better on Pro but some definitely do and the difference is noticeable - however, ALL VR games also play just fine on the regular PS4
-Sony revamped the VR headset this month and there are 2 bundles that have the new version - it has streamlined cables, in-ear headphones as part of the headset (they previously were attached to the headset's cable but in a spot that's kind of near your chest, whereas now they're right on the headset by your ears), and an updated processor unit (extra box) that looks more like the new PS4/Pro design and passes 4K/HDR through (the processor unit for the first version of the VR did not pass those through, only standard HD)

The VR experience is pretty amazing in the right game. I played all of Resident Evil 7 in VR and it helped me get over my motion sickness issue that I previously experienced with other games, though having the headset on my face for an hour or two at a time did give me a weird headache. It was not anywhere near as bad as I had feared.

You will LOVE Batman. It's probably the best quick showcase experience for VR. However, just be prepared for it to be short, maybe 2-3 hours total, with some extra stuff to replay the game for.

On the PS store (through a PS4 or through the Sony Entertainment Network website), you can filter through games to only see the ones that have VR. See what interests you and try out some demos. Also, there are some VR video apps that are neat to play around with, you can watch VR YouTube videos, and you can use the headset to watch 3D Bluray movies in 3D.

Have fun with your new toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks