Going HD - startup costs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well, after picking myself up off the floor from fainting due to the quote I just received from one of my local installers of Dish Network, I'm coming to you folks to find out if this is realistic or should I look elsewhere for better prices:

Receiver Dish 6000 $599

8VSB $99

OTA Antenna Terk $400

Additional Satellite Dish $100

Grand Total: $1199 (not including tax and installation labor)

And this is what I get as an existing Dish Network customer with 3 receivers and an existing dish. Hmmm, maybe I should just stick to movie viewing in my home theater and to hell with Satellite. There's gotta be a less expensive way to get HD in the house. Right??

Leo

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi Leo

that seems real high.

I bought the 6000 with the OTA module, 2 extra receivers, big ass antenna, IR rotor, starband ISP box, all connections, including switches, and 2 days worth of installation for about $2000. Id keep looking around.

$400 for an antenna???

Gregg

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Leo:

That Terk Antenna is WAY overpriced. Steer clear of it. A couple of years ago I saw some posts on AV Science from a user who had done exhaustive testing of UHF antenns of all kinds for HDTV reception. His recommendation: The Channel Master 4248. Price: a whopping $45. He said you can't really do better at ANY price, and there are expensive ones that are a lot WORSE. I've had the 4248 for two years, and I pull in every digital station in Los Angeles from Mount Wilson (about 30 miles away) with zero difficulty.