What's new

Going HD - startup costs? (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
Well, after picking myself up off the floor from fainting due to the quote I just received from one of my local installers of Dish Network, I'm coming to you folks to find out if this is realistic or should I look elsewhere for better prices:

Receiver Dish 6000 $599

8VSB $99

OTA Antenna Terk $400

Additional Satellite Dish $100

Grand Total: $1199 (not including tax and installation labor)

And this is what I get as an existing Dish Network customer with 3 receivers and an existing dish. Hmmm, maybe I should just stick to movie viewing in my home theater and to hell with Satellite. There's gotta be a less expensive way to get HD in the house. Right??

Leo

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Leo

that seems real high.

I bought the 6000 with the OTA module, 2 extra receivers, big ass antenna, IR rotor, starband ISP box, all connections, including switches, and 2 days worth of installation for about $2000. Id keep looking around.

$400 for an antenna???

Gregg

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Leo:

That Terk Antenna is WAY overpriced. Steer clear of it. A couple of years ago I saw some posts on AV Science from a user who had done exhaustive testing of UHF antenns of all kinds for HDTV reception. His recommendation: The Channel Master 4248. Price: a whopping $45. He said you can't really do better at ANY price, and there are expensive ones that are a lot WORSE. I've had the 4248 for two years, and I pull in every digital station in Los Angeles from Mount Wilson (about 30 miles away) with zero difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks