What's new

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (May 31, 2019) (1 Viewer)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Saw it last night. It was about as good as I expected. Lots of head-scratching things happen. Stuff like that is outside of the "Oh, it's fantasy where giant monsters roam." It falls into the lack of common sense category.

Like when they are soldering the Orca. A high-tech piece of electronics...in the rain...in the dark? No problem for these folks! Or when she steps into the area with the Mothra grub to use the Orca. Could she not just use a microphone and speakers? Plus, if she was in cahoots with Jonah, why the over the top entrance and the murder of all the other staff?

(Wow it took me a long time to figure out how to post a spoiler tag! Searched all over for it. That info should be pinned someplace that is easy to find)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I enjoy 3D and I’d like recommendations on whether to watch this in non-imax 3D or imax. The only 3D showings are at inconvenient times. What say you fellow HT folks?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I enjoy 3D and I’d like recommendations on whether to watch this in non-imax 3D or imax. The only 3D showings are at inconvenient times. What say you fellow HT folks?

I'd say if you enjoy 3D, go see it that way as we don't know how much longer theaters will bother with the format.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Saw it last night. It was about as good as I expected. Lots of head-scratching things happen. Stuff like that is outside of the "Oh, it's fantasy where giant monsters roam." It falls into the lack of common sense category.

Like when they are soldering the Orca. A high-tech piece of electronics...in the rain...in the dark? No problem for these folks! Or when she steps into the area with the Mothra grub to use the Orca. Could she not just use a microphone and speakers? Plus, if she was in cahoots with Jonah, why the over the top entrance and the murder of all the other staff?

(Wow it took me a long time to figure out how to post a spoiler tag! Searched all over for it. That info should be pinned someplace that is easy to find)
Also, didn't Ghidorah smash the Orca with his snout or whatever? It was barely damaged which I found silly.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
There was the
"Category 6" hurricane.

The actual Saffir-Simpson scale only goes up to Category 5, the reason being that a Category 5 storm is so destructive that nobody has felt it necessary to define a Category 6 ("making the rubble bounce").

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I saw this last night with a sell out crowd, in New Jersey . I was with my wife and another couple . We all liked it and it seemed like the rest of the audience did as well. On the questions of science fat /fiction and or realism, I don't expect Godzilla films ( or Jurassic Park films or any other "monster movies " for that matter ) to make sense . I only ask that they be fun and entertaining .

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Unintended humor:

I was browsing the movie selection on a RedBox kiosk, and came across an thumbnail of the Godzilla (2014) cover – a profile of the Big Guy. A caption directly above the thumbnail read "BACK AGAIN".

It occurs to me that this describes ALL Godzilla movies except the first …

"Half of my city was still standing after Godzilla's last visit. Another visit, please!"

:D

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't have a clue about the plot, but I'm guessing that Godzilla comes out of the sea, knocks a few building down, fights some other monsters that have appeared (with the army firing at them to very little effect) & then big G does back into the ocean to train for Kong. Is it something like that?

Is this supposed to be for an adult audience? I think I preferred it when these films were made on a small budget, were a bit camp, & released in the school holidays.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have a clue about the plot, but I'm guessing that Godzilla comes out of the sea, knocks a few building down, fights some other monsters that have appeared (with the army firing at them to very little effect) & then big G does back into the ocean to train for Kong. Is it something like that?

Is this supposed to be for an adult audience? I think I preferred it when these films were made on a small budget, were a bit camp, & released in the school holidays.
NO!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I understand. As long as I can remember I’ve always hated the obvious “guy in a suit” trampling obvious miniatures.
The fact that everyone including the creators know its obvious makes those statements irrelevant. Its all about the model work which in most of the Japanese Godzilla movies is outstanding and above average for model work. The 1990's and 2000 Godzilla films generally feature better storylines then the 50's-70's ones did. The Japanese have always been fans of good model work which is why its no surprise that Thunderbirds, Stingray, Space 1999, UFO and all other Gerry Anderson shows have always been huge there. If you don't like or appreciate good model work then obviously Godzilla films are not for you.
The budget for the original 1954 Godzilla film was 1 million dollars. Ten times the average Toho budget and the most expensive Japanese film made to date. About 3-4 times the cost of the average US 1950's monster movie This was mainly due to the expensive model work. Budgets increased in the 1960's films.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The fact that everyone including the creators know its obvious makes those statements irrelevant.
I guess that puts me in my place. By this logic, if I know my FX is on the level of Ed Wood, then any criticism is still irrelevant.
If you don't like or appreciate good model work then obviously Godzilla films are not for you.
IMHO, good model or miniature work doesn't shout at me "Look, I'm a miniature!"

I guess criticizing the original Godzilla is sacrilege to some.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I guess that puts me in my place. By this logic, if I know my FX is on the level of Ed Wood, then any criticism is still irrelevant.

IMHO, good model or miniature work doesn't shout at me "Look, I'm a miniature!"

I guess criticizing the original Godzilla is sacrilege to some.
You misunderstood me. People frequently knock Godzilla movies because of a guy in a suit and model work calling it fake looking but of course everyone can see that. My point is even the creators know this so they are not trying to convince anyone that it is real. They are making a fantasy monster movie with excellent model work. Compared to most of what passed for monster movies in the US their model work was bigger budgeted than using mat screen real insects or puppets and which are also not realistic. Ray Harryhausen being an exception as his stop motion animation was of course excellent and bigger budgeted. When a model is barely scene as in some big budgeted movies then it can pass as more realistic but when it is the main focus as in Godzilla then of course it is obvious. I have never seen any model work that doesn't look like model work and I am a big fan of it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw this yesterday in 60 foot IMAX, and I must say it was MUCH better than I thought it would be based on some of the reviews and opinions here. Sure, there was some massively stupid crap going on with all of the Monarch business, but the giant monster stuff was awesome and Godzilla looked great! I had zero problems seeing any of the action that was taking place, and I'm not sure how you could legitimately compare the lighting of the monster battles in this film with the Battle of Winterfell in GoT. Very different IMO. Anyway, I left the theater quite satisfied and am looking forward to grabbing this movie in 4K UHD when it's released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw this yesterday in 60 foot IMAX, and I must say it was MUCH better than I thought it would be based on some of the reviews and opinions here. Sure, there was some massively stupid crap going on with all of the Monarch business, but the giant monster stuff was awesome and Godzilla looked great! I had zero problems seeing any of the action that was taking place, and I'm not sure how you could legitimately compare the lighting of the monster battles in this film with the Battle of Winterfell in GoT. Very different IMO. Anyway, I left the theater quite satisfied and am looking forward to grabbing this movie in 4K UHD when it's released.
Right on! I might see it for a third time later this week in 3-D as another A-List selection.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
upload_2019-6-4_15-51-16.png

Who would have thought The Creature and Godzilla would occupy the same screen, and then on a watch! Saw Big G this afternoon. I shifted into “I’ll believe anything” gear and had fun. I love the dramatic Godzilla music. The poor guy keeps getting the crap knocked out of him. I did think Bradly Whitford did a little too much scenery chewing.

Saw it in imax and may go back for the 3D.

All those headlines in the closing credits went buy to fast. I couldn’t read half of them.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Whitford's antics, along with Vera Farmiga's completely phoned-in performance, were the worst part of the film for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks