Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArmandV, Nov 26, 2001.

1. ArmandV

ArmandV Stunt Coordinator

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack(Toho-2001) was premiered November 3 at the Tokyo International Film Festival in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan. I attended the showing and found the film to be not your typical Godzilla fare.
    The movie was directed by Shusuke Kaneko ("Gamera, Guardian of the Universe", "Gamera 2: Advent of Legion" and "Gamera 3: Awakening of Irys") and it is filled with plenty of monster action between Godzilla, Mothra (the best one ever, the wings actually flapped), King Ghidorah and Baragon (who stole the show). It also has supernatural overtones as the spirits of the war dead from the Pacific War are upset that they have been forgotten as well as the horrors of war and a mysterious old man. They "merge" into Godzilla who then triggers the awakening of the three guardian monsters (Baragon, Mothra, King Ghidorah). The movie also has some dark humor (a Kaneko trademark) where a man trying to relieve himself and a hospitalized girl meet their maker courtesy of Godzilla.
    Godzilla never looked or moved as good as he does in this film and it is easy to forget that it is a man in a costume.
    The optical effects (ray blasts and Godzilla's oral ray) were well done and the daytime photography of Godzilla's battle with Baragon is Academy Award quality.
    The subtitled print that I saw was reportedly 95% complete as some scenes are to be added and some effects shots are to be finished for the December 15 opening in Japan. The score, while serviceable, was not memorable. It too will be re-mixed before the opening day.
    The story and plot elements are such that it will take repeated viewings to soak in all of the nuances. This is "the thinking man's Godzilla film."
    My grade: A - .

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Thanks for that great sneak peek, Armand!

I wonder if this one will make it to North America theatres?

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

After the performance of, and horrific butchering done to Godzilla 2000, why would you WANT it to?

I wanted to strangle the dubbing director when he was on the commentary bragging about how he moved scenes around and changed dialogue

Jeff Kleist

4. ArmandV

Sony/TriStar is seriously looking into this film for a stateside release.

As for "Godzilla 2000", it was not the strongest Godzilla film to have a theatrical release after 15 years. I actually think Sony/TriStar improved on the Japanese version (I have both).

A lot of people put G2K down, but I think it has been underrated and despite some misses in the special effects here and there, it was innovative for a kaiju film.

5. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Armand,

Are you serious about Sony's looking into this for a stateside release? That would kick ass! I am dying to see this movie after the last 2 crapball godzilla movies. Kaneko is the only guy who can turn this franchise around. If anyone seen the Gamera trilogy (especially gamera 2 & 3)

p.s. the 90's Gamera boxset rules on dvd!

6. ArmandV

Larry, yes! Mike Schlesinger of Sony Entertainment (a fan himself) is very much interested in "GMK". Keep your fingers crossed that he can convince the head honchos of the studio to release it here.

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I'd love to see this one, I was disappointed I never got to see Megaguirus.

Personally, I like my Godzilla funny and campy as opposed to the more serious toned early 90's editions, thus I loved G2000's dubbing. They found the perfect voice for the villain. Whether it was the films original intent or not, I laughed harder at G2000 than any other movie I saw last year.