What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Godfather Coppola Restoration DVD vs. Restoration Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I've been looking online for comparisons of both the SD and HD of the Coppola Restorations of the Godfather series, but only finding the Blu-ray vs. the original SD (not the Coppola Restoration). I'm wondering if anyone who has both DVD and Blu-ray of the Coppola Restorations could tell me if there is a major difference between these versions. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about picking up Godfather 1 & 2 on Blu-ray which are currently on sale at Best Buy, but not sure if it's worth the upgrade since I already have the Restoration collection on DVD.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jon Baker said:
I've been looking online for comparisons of both the SD and HD of the Coppola Restorations of the Godfather series, but only finding the Blu-ray vs. the original SD (not the Coppola Restoration). I'm wondering if anyone who has both DVD and Blu-ray of the Coppola Restorations could tell me if there is a major difference between these versions. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about picking up Godfather 1 & 2 on Blu-ray which are currently on sale at Best Buy, but not sure if it's worth the upgrade since I already have the Restoration collection on DVD.
Six times the resolution in addition to proper color and black levelsRAH

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Robert Harris said:
Six times the resolution in addition to proper color and black levelsRAH
To quote a strange man in a dark parking garage: "You're missing the overall".

You can spout off technical jargon at me all you want, but at the end of the day, I just want to know if I should upgrade my VHS of this film that I bought in 1981. That one was called The Complete Epic, and you can't get much more definitive then that, as far as I'm concerned.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
McCrutchy said:
To quote a strange man in a dark parking garage: "You're missing the overall".

You can spout off technical jargon at me all you want, but at the end of the day, I just want to know if I should upgrade my VHS of this film that I bought in 1981. That one was called The Complete Epic, and you can't get much more definitive then that, as far as I'm concerned.
You are talking to the man who restored it... :)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The Godfather, the Complete Epic was a TV miniseries, created basically by moving the child period of the second movie in front of the first movie. The third movie is missing from that one. The telling of the whole story is more chronologically, therefore. Some people like it more than the original movies, many don't.
If you want to own the original movies, you'd better buy them.

As mr. Harris said, the DVD of the restored versions is of course lacking in PQ compared to the BD-version. I bought the DVD first, when it came out (I already own all the previous versions) and replaced it with the BD when that one arrived. Content wise they are equal, (picture-) quality wise: see Mr. Harris's reply.
Once I had the BD, I gave my DVD-version of the restored Godfather to my (27 years old) son who is very happy with it.

Cees

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
McCrutchy said:
To quote a strange man in a dark parking garage: "You're missing the overall". You can spout off technical jargon at me all you want, but at the end of the day, I just want to know if I should upgrade my VHS of this film that I bought in 1981. That one was called The Complete Epic, and you can't get much more definitive then that, as far as I'm concerned.
not sure if serious?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I own both. The SD is notably softer and has some macro blocking here and there from the compression used.

Blu-ray has the best color reproduction (Pt. I and II are meant to have incredibly inky blacks since they're dye transfer) however it does have entirely player generated subs for the Italian dialogue (which never seem to be in synch on my copy).

Still look way better than the old set. The sound on the 5.1 remixes is also vastly improved as the music tracks appear to be taken from the original session masters.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Cees Alons said:
The Godfather, the Complete Epic was a TV miniseries, created basically by moving the child period of the second movie in front of the first movie. The third movie is missing from that one. The telling of the whole story is more chronologically, therefore. Some people like it more than the original movies, many don't.
If you want to own the original movies, you'd better buy them.

As mr. Harris said, the DVD of the restored versions is of course lacking in PQ compared to the BD-version. I bought the DVD first, when it came out (I already own all the previous versions) and replaced it with the BD when that one arrived. Content wise they are equal, (picture-) quality wise: see Mr. Harris's reply.
Once I had the BD, I gave my DVD-version of the restored Godfather to my (27 years old) son who is very happy with it.

Cees
The only versions I've ever had are this version and the Copolla Blu Ray set. The VHS version of the Epic is, to me, a great way to watch the first two movies. I still have my copy. The Blu Ray set is, again, to me, terrific.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, as long as we're on the subject...

Is "The Godfather, The Complete Epic" different than "The Godfather Trilogy"? And isn't there a "Godfather Saga"? Are these actually different things, or one and the same?

I have the one called "Trilogy" in the laserdisc box set, and I don't believe I've ever watched it! I should at least skim through it sometime, to get the flavor...

I did, coincidentally, just watch all three of the restored films -- er, on Blu-ray, which should go without saying, but not necessarily in this thread! :) It was a wonderful return to the films, none of which I'd seen halfway decently since the first two in their first runs. What great storytelling all around, and I even find the third really growing on me now.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
VHS all the way, forget the blu ray editions, the VHS are fantastic, who needs resolution and better colour when it looks this good.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
FoxyMulder said:
VHS all the way, forget the blu ray editions, the VHS are fantastic, who needs resolution and better colour when it looks this good.
Nein.

8-track cassettes are even better!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
Well, as long as we're on the subject...

Is "The Godfather, The Complete Epic" different than "The Godfather Trilogy"?
The Complete Epic was a TV re-edit of the first two movies putting them into chronological order & adding deleted scenes and I believe that the trilogy is just the three movies in their regular form in one set. The Complete Epic is neat to see once or twice but the movies were made separate and work better separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks