What's new

Glengarry Glen Ross - DVD 3/02 (1 Viewer)

DarrinH

Second Unit
Anymore news on this title?
Was this just a rumor along with The Game CC?
Two movies that make me wish I had an old Laserdisk player!
This Bites!:angry:

CraigL

Screenwriter
The Game released by Criterion?!?! Oh man, now I'm REALLY getting anxious! Please let it be true!
It is true...it was true years ago. The laserdisc was out...we're just waiting to see if it's actually going to become a DVD reality.

Otherwise...just have my laserdisc. Fincher and Criterion were a godsend.

Eric T

Second Unit
Ahh, I see. Well, since I don't have an LD player, and don't plan to get one, I'll have to hope that Criterion release it again on DVD.

DAVE B

Auditioning
Update:

Mao, who posts upcoming release dates on DVDTalk forum regularly, (and is usually pretty accurate)says Artisan will release a 2 disc Special Edition on November 12!!

Let's Hope that it's true!

DarrinH

Second Unit
glengarryglenross.jpg

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
About time!:)
Courtesy of Dvdfile:
At long last, Artisan has announced the full specs for the long-awaited special edition of David Mamet's Glengarry GlenRoss. This two-disc set features new anamorphic widescreen and pan & scan transfers, Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, an audio commentary by director James Foley, The "Real-Estate Scams" documentary; a Jack Lemmon tribute featurette, cast and filmmaker interviews, stills, trailers, and more. Retail is $29.95, and street date 11/19.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Sans Jack Lemmon commentary...:frowning:
Have to find out where I can get that laserdisc now...

TomJD

Agent
I just read a little paragraph on another DVD site www.dvdreview.com about the upcoming GGR DVD.A portion of the synopsis mentions
"times are tough for the Chicago branch in sales"
This movie was filmed mostly in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn,New York.I lived and worked in the area and know it very well.Was the film actually supposed to take place in Chicago or was the exact location never mentioned?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
From The Unofficial Glengarry Glen Ross Site:
(The actual setting of Glengarry Glen Ross can be a bit confusing. Astute viewers have recognized the actual streets where the movie was filmed in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, a borough of New York City. The script and the play, however, are each set in Chicago with recognizable references to places like Kenilworth and Morton Grove. Both are suburb towns a few miles north of Chicago. David Mamet, the author of the play, was born in Chicago. The play was first performed at The Goodwin Theater in Chicago. Glengarry Glen Ross' obvious Chicago roots are strong. Unfortunately the movie script was never changed to reflect the New York City filming location. Oops.)

TomJD

Agent
Thanks Greg.I guess that clears it up somewhat.Still can't wait to see this movie again.The performaces are stellar.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Just got this from Davisdvd.com...

"Mark Rance, one of the first independent DVD producers in Hollywood, has just wrapped a special documentary to be featured on Artisan Home Entertainment's double-disc 10th anniversary DVD edition of the dark drama Glengarry Glen Ross. For his special feature, "A.B.C." (for "Always Be Closing"), Rance said that he went beyond the "making of" approach and created a 30-minute docu tracing the psychological intersection of fictional and real-life salesmen in Chicago, home of the fictional Glengarry real estate office. Besides interviewing five Chicago real estate salesmen, Rance talked to Albert Maysles, director of the classic 1969 documentary Salesman, about traveling Bible salesmen, and included an interview with Barry Levinson, director of Tin Men, starring Richard Dreyfuss and Danny DeVito as aluminum siding salesmen. "I wanted to show the common thread that carries through all of these films and documentaries," Rance said, "in order to show the real and imagined desperation and manic lifestyle of salesmen that so fascinates playwrights, filmmakers and audiences alike." Artisan's 2-disc DVD, which will retail $26.98, is due Nov. 19th (thanks to The Hollywood Reporter)"

Wow...

Shoot..

you know? who needs a stupid making-of documentary with a cast like this anyway? Let's interview a whole bunch of people that have nothing to do with the movie! Brilliance! That would surely be more interesting than Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jonathan Pryce and others.

And while we're at it...let's chop off the Jack Lemmon commentary and put on a DTS track. Nothing like a film that's mostly mono to be remixed for DTS.

Genius. Pure Genius.

*sigh*

I really hope the movie looks good....that's what matters. Right?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
who needs a stupid making-of documentary with a cast like this anyway? Let's interview a whole bunch of people that have nothing to do with the movie! Brilliance! That would surely be more interesting than Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jonathan Pryce and others.
Actually I think this documentary sounds interesting. I like it when DVD extras expand beyond the film itself to take up issues raised by the film in the real world. Personally I can do without the typical DVD puff pieces about the making of the film which feature the stars going on about how great it was to work with everyone.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I wouldn't consider this your typical hollywood movie. Although it is possible such fluff pieces exist, this wasn't exactly a mainstream movie with an HBO special for sale. Doesn't have to be an EPK...but possibly retrospective interviews. Other than this documentary, I haven't heard diddely squat about interviews with the actual people invovled with the making of the film. To me...that seems like it should be top priority over what Danny Devito is feeling doing the Broadway version.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I agree. While I'm thrilled to be able to have this film in anamorphic widescreen, with a Foley commentary, a dts track is a waste of space, and the Lemmon commentary is the only other extra I really want. Can't wait to see it again, really looking forward to it, but so far, I'm disappointed with the specs.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
you know? who needs a stupid making-of documentary with a cast like this anyway? Let's interview a whole bunch of people that have nothing to do with the movie! Brilliance! That would surely be more interesting than Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Jonathan Pryce and others.
While I am very disappointed in the missing Lemmon commentary track, the documentary sounds like a great idea. It certainly sounds more interesting than a bunch of actors sitting around saying that "the film is great" and "David Mamet is a great writer" and "it was challenging but enjoyable" for the millionth time. I'd much rather see Albert Maysles and Barry Levinson talk and actually have something to say instead of an actor giving the usual pap-filled interview that tells me nothing. I welcome a documentary that avoids those unbearable cliches with open arms.

DJ

CraigL

Screenwriter
Yet again...i don't believe that's standard fare for interviews done AFTER the fact. A lot of the interviews i've seen done for special editions AFTER the movie is out...as in a retrospective collection...they're usually not as readily wanting to provide such information. They're past selling the movie and you can get down to the nitty gritty. I'd want something done THIS year as opposed to something when the movie came out. But I also don't remember much publicity for the movie. Pacino never does interviews cept to save a movie like Simone ;) Lemmon is now gone. But regardless it still would be interesting. Just aggravating when a film you love is FINALLY getting a special edition and they're dropping a commentary track by one of the greats and filling gaps with interviews that have very little to do with the actual production of the film you bought. This documentary should be an added bonus....not prime beef.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks