What's new

Gilmore Girls general question (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I didn't want to put this in the weekly episode discussion because its not related to a single episode and you always a week ahead of me.

Is it just me or do they ofter start sub plots that never seem to be resolved. The German maid for example. It took up almost a quarter of an episode and we get no resolution on it. Things like Luke and Loralei's new love interests are kept going, but they seem to be pushed so far into the background. And the one that sticks out furthest in my mind...that new neighbour, you know, the one with the tiki bar and all the board games. It seemed like he was being introduced as a new and exciting character with so much potential, but the next week he was gone never to be heard from again. There are others but they're not coming to me right now. Why isn't there any closure on these subjects?

jeremy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes, you have no choice but to come into the middle of something with no hope for closure on the topic. It's sort of like life, you know.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Emily is famous for her firings of maids, it's almost becoming like Murphy Brown with regard to that, and something i don't look for closure on.

Lorelai's and Luke's significant others will get aritime again, just not every episode. I'm sure with Lorelai's recent meeting with Max that will have some play in her new relationship--just don't expect some major thing made of it. This is a smiple show where the fun is in the characters and not the stories so much.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
In last week's episode, Max addressed the concept of closure ( perhaps as a spokesman for the writers / creators of the show? :) ). Basically, when Lorelai brought up the issue of closure between them; Max responded by saying that life isn't about closure, its about looking ahead to the future. We'll see if he can stick to his guns in the coming episodes. Maybe?

- Walter.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I stumbled across this thread, and thought I might as well use it to ask a question I have about the show, ather than start another thread or post in a thread for an episode I won't see for a while.

(Jeremy, hope you don't mind.)

Why is it that Edward Herrmann is credited for "Special Appearances". He's in the show more often than Lane or Michel. Yet the credits make it seem like he's some occassional character.

Any ideas, anyone?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The vibe I get off of that is the show creators have a particular respect for Herrmann and are showing their respect and gratitude for his involvement. I take it as similar to the "and Alyson Hannigan as Willow" type credit, a special acknowledgement to that actor.

And regarding the unresolved characters and such, I don't think you should see them so much as plot lines. They're more like decoration on the cake, not the cake itself. I think you will find it more satisfying that way.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also, I think the "Special Appearances" credit gives him more flexibility to take other work in-season.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
If you're on the main credits, you get paid full salary regardless if you are in that episode or not. I'm sure that his salary would be considerable, and it's cheaper to only pay him when they need him.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Could someone direct me to the season one thread? I couldn't find it through a search. I just finished the first season and really loved it and would like to comment but I don't know where to go.

Or can I post it here? ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given that it's been 5 years since the end of season 1 of Gilmore Girls, and given the various snafus to the HTF database over the years, it's doubtful there's a thread for those episodes from 2001.

Caveat: The other uphill battle you're going to face is that you have GG questions, but most of them will be answered in the next 5 seasons' worth of episodes, and most of the long-time fans of the show have the knowledge, and it makes it hard to tip-toe around any season 1 question that deals with future plotlines, so if you start a season 1 thread, be prepared to have spoilers show up, however inadvertently if/when they show up in the course of discussion (i.e., don't moan and groan if future seasons are ruined for you by accident if you start up a thread for the early seasons of GG, as the mods won't spend time monitoring such a thread to prevent "spoilers" of seasons past for a select few just joining in the fray, it's impractical to do so at this juncture, as it would be for other threads for seasons of any show that are 4 years old or older ).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, thanks, Patrick. Well, I guess I could just comment here.

I really love this show, a good friend of mine, our very own Wendy L, loaned me her season 1 dvd's and I watched all 21 eps in a little over a week. I have no life. ;)

I don't know where to even start talking about this show, but i'll begin with the writing, so fast and furious, not to mention unpredictable and hilarious, you never know what a given character is going to say next, with enough popular, and not so popular, cultural referances to keep anyone busy.

I can't talk about this show without mentioning the relationships, particularly between Lorelai and Rory, never have I seen a mother-daughter team like this, so warm, caring, funny and strong, this is a show that everyone could watch and enjoy because it's positive in it's depiction of family...most of the time anyway.

The character of Rory, as played by Alexis Bledel, is something that I don't think has ever existed before on television, an extremely intelligent young woman with a wit to match her mom's and a heart of pure gold, that kid's gonna go far.

And Lorelai, where to begin, the woman simply kills me lol! Her dialogue comes out so fast and natural that you almost want to duck, and I can't think of anyone besides Lauren Graham pulling off this character. I laughed out loud very often and I can't even recall most of the lines because they are simply too numerous to count! :laugh:

One comes to mind, though...

Emily, while talking about her new dining room set...
"I could only find ten chairs and so i'm two chairs short of a set."

Lorelai...
"Your tellin' me."

:laugh:

But, at the heart of all the humor, there's real love there, Lorelai is a great mother who has made mistakes in the past (something her mother, Emily, will never let her live down), but she loves Rory deeply and supports her through everything, the good times and bad, and they both had their share in the first season. Her and Rory really do come across as best friends who just happen to be mother and daughter, but Lorelai is tough when she needs to be.

The cast of characters that populate Stars Hollow are some of the most enjoyable and eccentric people i've seen in some time, from Mrs. Patty, Sookie, Luke, Taylor and many others, they all make the town feel genuine and just a nice place to live with all of their traditions and loyalty to town history. I've always loved small towns like this and if it weren't fictional, i'd go there and gladly book a room at the Independance Inn, although I wouldn't want to be checked in by Michele lol.

I cannot wait to start season 2, can I possibly catch up before season 7? Hmmm, don't know, but i'm sure as hell going to try. :cool:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It can be done. :) It took me three months to watch Season One (due to my schedule) but once I got 'moving', I managed to watch Seasons Two through Five in about six weeks and was able to catch a rerun of the S6 opener a few weeks ago. At this point, I think I've already heard all the major plot points of S6 so I'm going to catch whatever The WB shows and fill in the blanks when the S6 DVD comes out and then watch Season Seven.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, well, if you can do it I certainly can do it. :)

I figure, on average, it should only take me a little over a week to polish off a season, so yes, I should be able to pull this off. But, if I don't, i'll simply record season 7 every week and then watch it when i'm finished season 6. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm so bummed that I missed out on that sale at Target, they had every season for $22.00. :frowning: I'll catch it next time, they have those sales all the time.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
We are still finishing up S1, but here is my opinion on this show:

LOVE IT! Great characters. I just love the relationship that mother and daughter have with eachother.

Love the episode where Rory and her friend go on a double date adn get caught and Rory's mom says, " There is one good thing that we learned out of all this. I'm a babe!"

Love this show!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Lucia, what's your opinion on Loralai and Max, Rory's teacher, hooking up? Personally I find him to be too pushy, i'd much rather see Loralai with Luke. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Luke definitely! I just love him. Max is just...well, I haven't really taken a liking to Max.

I love the episode where Luke won't let Dean in the restaurant and they are outside wrestling..... I love that he does nice things for Rory and Lorelei. I just really like Luke.

I also love Suki! She just makes me smile and laugh so hard. The french guy is also funny, but I have to say I have the worst time understanding him, so I have to watch with subtitles. LOL!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LOL, I find it hard to catch everything Michele says, too, but I do okay, enough to scream with laughter at his insults anyway. ;)

I know what you mean about Max, there's something about the guy that makes me uncomfortable, he's just not a good match for Lorelai, he's too "proper" I guess you could say, and like I said, he's pushy and in too much of a hurry.

Luke wrestling Dean was great! It just shows how much Luke cares for Rory, even if he did go a little overboard with his protectiveness lol. Would Max have done something like that? I don't think so. ;)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just blew the doors off of my previous record of 4 days for watching a 22 episode series (Veronica Mars). Wendy L sent me season 2 of GG and I recieved it Saturday afternoon and immediately began watching it, well, "watched it" doesn't really sum it up, DEVOURED it is more accurate lol.

I watched the entire second season in roughly 34hrs. :)

I love this show, and season 2 is every bit as great as the first. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks