What's new

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
But 1 thing that's a mystery to me, is why Lord Dalek just gave a thumbs UP to Joshua's post, after he gave my post a thumbs DOWN, although the point I made in my post was the SAME point that Joshua made LATER, in his post, that I'm now responding to. Of course, the point that both Joshua and I were making was that the Giant 4k Blu-ray, in terms of PQ, certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

I think we can all agree that the picture quality of Giant is sub-optimal. What this comes down to is a difference in perspective over why anyone might buy the disc.

If your main criteria for buying a UHD is how much 4K eye candy it offers, this certainly isn't the right disc for that. However, if what you want is the best copy of Giant, knowing its limitations, this UHD is an improvement over the Blu-ray edition. It seems unlikely anything better will ever be possible for this title.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And such a low-ball price for the 4k UHD Blu-ray of "Giant", seems indicative of the disc's relative quality among 4k UHD Blu-rays of what were big budget Hollywood blockbusters. So right off the bat, canny fans of such classic Hollywood big budget productions as "Oklahoma", "The Bridge On The River Kwai", "Spartacus", "Lawrence of Arabia", and "My Fair Lady", will be home theater fans who'll be quickly tipped off by the cheap price for the "Giant" 4k UHD Blu-ray, telling them that the disc's 4k video WON'T show the kind of high grade PQ seen on the 4k UHD BDs of most of the films just named, OR the sort of outstanding results relative to discs in the 1080p Blu-ray format, that the 1080p Blu-ray of "Oklahoma" provides for fans of that film.

"Oklahoma", "Lawrence of Arabia", and "My Fair Lady" were filmed in 65mm, "Spartacus" in 35mm horizontal Technirama. They are up to 4 times the size of 1.66 35mm of Giant. No comparison.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
"Oklahoma", "Lawrence of Arabia", and "My Fair Lady" were filmed in 65mm, "Spartacus" in 35mm horizontal Technirama. They are up to 4 times the size of 1.66 35mm of Giant. No comparison.

And, even more to the point, none of them had the same issue with needlessly extended optical composites that Giant did, which made it look far worse than even other 35mm productions.

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
"Giant" is one of my all time favorite films, and I had a copy in almost every home video format : VHS tape off of broadcast, manufactured VHS tape, Laser disc, DVD (Canadian import ), DVD (US release), Blu-ray...and now 4k Blur-ray, which I can say is clearly the very best of the bunch. "Giant" will probably never look "great"...but remember: "great" is always the enemy of "good"

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Typo or deliberate?
A typo, but maybe there are no mistakes....

"Giant" on 4K has much of the film in a level of sharpness and clarity I have never seen before (I also saw the 1996 theatrical revival), with several bits that do not match the clarity of the rest of the film (for reasons that have been discussed on this thread and elsewhere in the film and home video universe

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I am trying to figure this thread out. I need help please does the new 4K format include Blu Ray as well. Please advise. Thanks, I would like to purchase it, if the BR is included and I can't figure on the 4k on Amazon includes the Blu ?? Thanks for your help in advance....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am trying to figure this thread out. I need help please does the new 4K format include Blu Ray as well. Please advise. Thanks, I would like to purchase it, if the BR is included and I can't figure on the 4k on Amazon includes the Blu ?? Thanks for your help in advance....

It does not include the Blu

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

It does not include the Blu
As clearly stated in the review…

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Was just in London and picked up the 4k and it includes the BR, one extra on the BR. But, do not really care as I was more interested in the BR. Just happy to have it, as held off on getting the US copy, due to lackluster reviews. It's not the best but good enough and it was a great price as well. UK has a new media outlets includes vinyl, CD, and BR, DVD, 4K called FOPP. It's a great store for those that still love physical media.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was just in London and picked up the 4k and it includes the BR, one extra on the BR. But, do not really care as I was more interested in the BR. Just happy to have it, as held off on getting the US copy, due to lackluster reviews. It's not the best but good enough and it was a great price as well. UK has a new media outlets includes vinyl, CD, and BR, DVD, 4K called FOPP. It's a great store for those that still love physical media.
Are you sure that BD was derived from the same 4K scan as the 4K/UHD? Warner has been known to include Blu-rays that were previously released as Blu-rays with new 4K/UHD releases.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Are you sure that BD was derived from the same 4K scan as the 4K/UHD? Warner has been known to include Blu-rays that were previously released as Blu-rays with new 4K/UHD releases.
I have watched the opening and it's from 22, assume it's not from the 4K, do not have a 4K yet. Just happy to have it on BR for the time being. I got both for about $20 US. The US 4K did not include the BR, so I waited and hoped for a new BR when the 4K arrived, which never materialized. And it's a must have as I have the DVD. It's my sixth all time favorite film.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
So when are they going to get around to a blu-ray release as THAT is something I'd actually buy?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
So when are they going to get around to a blu-ray release as THAT is something I'd actually buy?
Don't hold your breath, that's why I bought it when I saw it in London, so for less than $20 US, I got the 4K with the BR. It's great so far in scenes and not so great in others. However it's better than the DVD. No extras, and I don't have a 4K as of yet. When I finally get one, i will have it. I am not rushing to buy a 4K, am tired of buying VHS, then DVD, now BR...I am only buying my top 25 on BR, or great deals. Not re purchasing things all over again. Been there done that, only my FAVES.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks